Am I the only person who dislikes Zumba???

Options

Replies

• Janworkingitout
    Janworkingitout Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Zumba!!! A great instructor is a must otherwise you will hate it. My instructor is awesome and the music is great, more hip hop than Latin. I burn about 500 calories doing about 50 minutes, so almost as much as running for 50 minutes. If you don't know the steps then you will feel like you are not working out, because you are not moving. You learn the steps over time though; my first class was a mess! It's not for everyone, but trust me if people go to this class it's not because of a fad, it's because they enjoy it. I mean we can say anything is a fad now...30 day shred, P90X, Zumba, Crossfit, etc. If it works do it, if not do something that works for you.

Actually, I don't consider strength training, cardio, sit ups, push ups, planks, etc., a fad. These are most of the exercises that make up 30 day shred and some of the others you mention. I remember doing sit ups, push ups, etc., when I was in the military 30 years ago, so if it's a fad, its been around a while.
  • DatEpicChick
    DatEpicChick Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    my husband and i tried zumba... and our 5 week old daughter (at the time) was in her little bouncer watching... we were doing it together... and felt LIKE IDIOTS... then of course we looked behind us at her... and the look on her face confirmed it... we LOOKED like idiots
  • tamanella
    tamanella Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    LOL! Janice you crack me up! I guess I would probably feel the same way about Jillian Michael's 30 day shred. Lol! I haven't tried it, but I have no desire to at this point just because everyone else is trying it. I have well over 100 dvds and ON DEMAND fitness on cable. As you can tell, i have a plethora of dvds and exercise equipment to boot ( I pretty much have an entire gym). You must do what works for you. I actually need to pull out some of my old Richard Simmons tapes. That's what really motivates me, because if those women can lift their legs and keep it moving, then I most certainly should be able to. All exercise dvds and workouts doesn't fit everyone! Do what makes you happy and it will help you reach your goals, just that much quicker. ~smile

How funny Tracey!! I LOVE Richard Simmons workouts because this fat girl can DO them!! ROFL! I thought I was the only fan left on the planet! My daughter refuses to do them with me because he "annoys" her....I think he's a kick! LOL
  • tamanella
    tamanella Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I actually do like zumba (sorry!), but only because I don't feel like I'm exercising while I'm doing it. The actual moves are not really my thing and make me feel pretty silly, but it's a good workout and I'm concentrating so hard on learning the choreography that there's no time for me to think "ohmygod, I can't do anymore. I'm so tired!", etc. That's the best part about it for me. But I totally understand if you don't like it. I don't like the bubblegum "shake your bon bon" part about some classes. Bleh. On another note, am I the only one who hates spinning??! haha

I'm with you on the spinning! Never done it, but seen it and not going to ever do it!! LOL My butt would never last on those seats and I'd probably puke...LOL
  • alex063287
    alex063287 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba however I understand it's not for everyone. I have been doing Zumba for almost 2 years so I would say I have done it before it became extremely popular. My mom and sister have even done Zumba with me but then stopped. I used to ask why don't you go anymore or why don't you like it. I have come to the realization that it's not their thing. I love Zumba because it doesn't feel like you are working out and it's something different almost every time. I burn a ton of calories doing Zumba which I love compared to running or other cardio machines that are just repetitive and boring for me. Anytime I am working out on a cardio machine I as myself how much longer? Where as when I am in Zumba classes I say I want more, it's over already? I like working out but not feeling like I am if that makes.
  • shulaw
    shulaw Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba however I understand it's not for everyone. I have been doing Zumba for almost 2 years so I would say I have done it before it became extremely popular. My mom and sister have even done Zumba with me but then stopped. I used to ask why don't you go anymore or why don't you like it. I have come to the realization that it's not their thing. I love Zumba because it doesn't feel like you are working out and it's something different almost every time. I burn a ton of calories doing Zumba which I love compared to running or other cardio machines that are just repetitive and boring for me. Anytime I am working out on a cardio machine I as myself how much longer? Where as when I am in Zumba classes I say I want more, it's over already? I like working out but not feeling like I am if that makes.

completely understand that , im exactley the same i went back to zumba last night after a 2 week absence due to illness and i was missed which felt nice, also i loved it i came out of their feeling really good and ready to take on life.
  • Janworkingitout
    Options
    I tried it and I hated it. I dont know whats wrong with me but it seemed impossible to do. I wont be doing it again. i just started the 30 day shred. I find it easy and doable. I also have on order the turbo fire set. I hope that will work.

I'm on D5L3 of 30 DS...will try Turbo Fire next! Know matter what floats your boat, the key is to make working out a part of our lifestyle! Doesn't matter what you do just get moving and keep moving:happy: !
  • AdoraK
    AdoraK Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Nope you are not alone. I got is expecting to love it because I love dancing. I have done the DVD a few times and I hate it. I am note sure why but I just cant get into it.
  • captnesshowdy7
    Options
    Ive gone to a Zumba class with a GREAT instructor... and then Ive taken classes with instructors who made me realize why some hate the class... Ive concluded the INSTRUCTOR really makes the difference....which is why I dont think Id ever like Zumba DVDs or the Wii Zumba

That couldn't have been said any better!!! I have two Zumba instructors that I like and I've been to about 12 different classes with about 15 different instructors. It all depends if the instructor fits your style. But hey! More power to you for trying it!
  • amelie21
    amelie21 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Im the same - i actually hate it! For one its ridiculously expensive - avg €10 a class in Dublin, whereas I get as long as I like in the gym for less than €1 a day. Also I never feel like ive done enough after a class - Im never tired out. The class sizes are huge so people are bashing into each other trying to see what the instructor is doing. I could go on a long rant here.
    In short - no you are not the only one!!
  • bmreed0920
    bmreed0920 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I tried it and I hated it. I dont know whats wrong with me but it seemed impossible to do. I wont be doing it again. i just started the 30 day shred. I find it easy and doable. I also have on order the turbo fire set. I hope that will work.

I'm on D5L3 of 30 DS...will try Turbo Fire next! Know matter what floats your boat, the key is to make working out a part of our lifestyle! Doesn't matter what you do just get moving and keep moving:happy: !

Thanks. I am on D3L1 and the jumping jacks are killing me. I havent done those since grade school...
  • Janworkingitout
    Options

Thanks. I am on D3L1 and the jumping jacks are killing me. I havent done those since grade school...

You can do it! Remember...one day at a time!
  • LeeiaL
    LeeiaL Posts: 40
    Options
    You're not alone...I've done Zumba, once even with a GREAT instructor and I can't stand it. Ugh!
  • helenrs87
    Options
    same here, I go to zumba every week but its my least favourite class.

At first I felt totally stupid as everyone seemed to follow along okay but I coudn't keep up, then after a couple of lesson I realised the instructor repeats the same routines. So its gone from very tricky to boring, but still hard. I keep going as I've been recommended certain types of gym classes, including one long exhausting cardio class a week: which is zumba. My instructor is quite energetic, a lot of people do very low energy versions of the moves but I give it full pelt, and burn around 750 kcal/hour. My advanced aerobics class only burns about 600.

And I LOVE 30DS, my favourite workout ever, lost 10lbs in 30 days just with that, I have a notepad with the routines on and do that in the gym at lunch followed by 20mins on the elliptical/rowing machine
  • USANARev3
    Options
    ME TOO! I cringe whenever I hear the word ZUMBA!! !! the 80's outfits, the headbands…the screaming….I do like to salsa dance but not line dancing. Maybe that's why I don't like it?
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I tried it; didn't like it so much-- although I can see why some people do.

My big thing is that I am not really a good dancer, and I get so caught up inthe "choreography" that I can't concentrate ont he workout. I prefer Jazzercise because there are fewer movements and they're repeated more often.

Oh yeah, and I really don't like Zumba music.
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    LOL! No, you're not alone. I dont like it either.

ditto!:-)
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I also hate Zumba. I thought it was the teacher, and have gone to several classes. It's not and I'm done with trying to love it.

I spin twice a week mostly because it's a good workout, not because I really and truly love it. The gym that has the spinning class fills up pretty quick, so if I can't get a bike, I always tell myself that can do Zumba. I once Twittered something like, "if I can't get a bike and have to do Zumba, I may as well just kill myself" and a few people reported me to Twitter for being suicidal!!! I guess I have a flair for the dramatic, plus I want to exercise and like it, so ....

My background IS dance so it's sort of suprising that I don't like Zumba. I DO like bellydancing though but it's not exactly the best cardio workout there is.
  • srp18kat
    srp18kat Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried Zumba. But would like to. I took a boot camp class and absolutely hated it when others were raving about it! I guess it's a personal preference. You just have to find something you like and do it. As for me, I'm still looking! lol
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    See that's why you are one of my friends. I absolutely hate it and don't understand why people love it. I do really enjoy Jazzercise though, I get strength training and cardio and they show you step by step. When I went to Zumba, some of the songs didn't go with the moves so we were off beat and that made me so mad. On top of that I also don't like Latin music, and last but not least they dont tell you when to switch the moves, its like you already have to know the step to do it so unlike Jazzercise. I am glad I am not the only one who thinks its the pits.

Sounds like you had a bad instructor.

Mine is awesome. She gives you advanced warning of the next move, everything is perfectly on beat, and she shows you modifications to increase/decrease impact and intensity. Also, we don't do only Latin music, we have some arabic belly dance type stuff and also some african and pop kind of stuff thrown in there.

The instructor can make or break the class for sure.