Biggest Loser- Anyone ever wonder this? *Girls*

Options
2»

Replies

• HappyathomeMN
    HappyathomeMN Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I actually never thought of that but it has to affect them. I know when "Shark Week" (As my lovely hubby refers to it!) shows up, my weight will fluctuate by 2-4 lbs because of the bloating and water weight.

Shark week - that's awesome! :laugh:
  • ashleynicoleb
    ashleynicoleb Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I feel like some of the girls may stop having their periods in the beginning. Whenever you introduce a ton of exercise and have a significant reduction of calories in your diet, your body sometimes goes into shock. I know that whenever I follow a disciplined diet and work out a lot, my TOM goes away...
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    This has always been one of my pet peeves about the Biggest Loser Show. They should at least acknowledge the factor so that women out there watching, won't be discouraged by that TOM's effect on their weight loss (a real life issue). The other element that drives me nuts is that it's all about pounds lost, not body fat. It would change a lot if they had to go by body fat percentage -- and it would be a healthier example for Americans who are stuck in the old school mode of caring about their weight and ignoring the body fat percentage component of it all.

Phew. That feels better. Stepping off my soapbox now. :drinker:
  • michelletyler38
    michelletyler38 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who wonders how much Aunt Flow (aka TOM) effects the weight loss results each week for the females? I mean, surely they have a period, right? TOM definitely effects my weight loss stats so I'm wondering if it does for them, too.

Food for thought...

Yes!!! I always wonder this & think it's soo unfair! Your best bet woul be to get on BC like the Mirena that takes away your period I guess. I always wonder when the girls don't have any weight loss or only a lb or gain if that's why.
  • michelletyler38
    Options
    I feel like some of the girls may stop having their periods in the beginning. Whenever you introduce a ton of exercise and have a significant reduction of calories in your diet, your body sometimes goes into shock. I know that whenever I follow a disciplined diet and work out a lot, my TOM goes away...

Hmmm interesting. AF has never been affected for me from my dieting!
  • michelletyler38
    Options
    you are assuming the weigh ins are actually weekly - they are not - they are least every 2 weeks
    also - the weight gain from TOM is water - that ridiculous last chance workout is basically one massive dehydration exercise - they "throw" a weight in by drinking water that day - really it`s not a good show

They weigh-ins arent weekly?! What?!
  • michelletyler38
    Options
    you are assuming the weigh ins are actually weekly - they are not - they are least every 2 weeks
    also - the weight gain from TOM is water - that ridiculous last chance workout is basically one massive dehydration exercise - they "throw" a weight in by drinking water that day - really it`s not a good show

How do you know the weigh ins are every 2 weeks? They all say "this week was hard" or I only lost 2 lbs this week". I've never read or heard about the 2 week weigh in.

They aren't weekly, but they aren't always 2 weeks either. From what I've read, a "week" on the show could be anywhere from 5-14 days.

I think they don't say anything because it makes for good TV. One week a girl will lose 1 lb and be sad then the following she'll lose 7. I think if you watch closely you can tell when their TOM comes!!

Hmmm shouldn't they be cycling all pretty close together? I wonder...
  • lil_miss_stephy
    Options
    I cannot believe I havent thought of this!! I wonder why one of them wouldn't say something if they had a bad week and it was around their TOM though?
  • lil_miss_stephy
    Options
    I wish the guys on the show would quit having periods. ;-)

Me too!! It seems they had to make the show longer to fit in all the crying and "counseling" from the trainers. Totally off subject I know, sorry!
  • SammieGetsFit
    SammieGetsFit Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    This has always been one of my pet peeves about the Biggest Loser Show. They should at least acknowledge the factor so that women out there watching, won't be discouraged by that TOM's effect on their weight loss (a real life issue). The other element that drives me nuts is that it's all about pounds lost, not body fat. It would change a lot if they had to go by body fat percentage -- and it would be a healthier example for Americans who are stuck in the old school mode of caring about their weight and ignoring the body fat percentage component of it all.

Amen! I also don't watch because a show in which people who are trying to make healthy changes get kicked off for not losing enough just isn't something I want to support. Now if they all stayed the whole time...well, I'd still have issues with the show, but it wouldn't be AS bad.
  • rockabyesarojane
    Options

here here!!
  • neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    Options

Regardless of when the weigh-ins are, there is bound to be a female participating who is experiencing a period.
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with an earlier comment. I really have started to hate this show because it is promoting unhealthy and unrealistic results that the contestants only achieve because they are working out for hours a day, eating only 1200 calories probably, and the day before weigh in they are probably dehydrating themselves. Its crazy to expect a 5 lb weight loss every week, even at their weights.
  • Roughgalaxy
    Roughgalaxy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Actually I had wondered that as well, and while I feel that the show "Heavy" is much better, if biggest loser must keep going I think it should be split. Biggest loser males, and biggest loser females. At least then it would be fair.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options

Yay for this!! Too many of us focus on the number on the scale and that is such a small part. I don't want to lose weight, I want to burn fat and get healthy.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options

Regardless of when the weigh-ins are, there is bound to be a female participating who is experiencing a period.

This is true. And when in groups eventually most of the women will "sync" with each other.
  • Rikkijean
    Rikkijean Posts: 21
    Options
    I'm 141 lbs but i'm 5'8" so i'm not worried too much about a lb or 2 up or down. all i'm really trying to do is tone everything up and eat healthier.......we do our weight-ins every week, and our measurements onces a month.....so last week was (TOM) for me and i had'nt lost or gained, this week same thing, but my measurements were good this month as i'm losing inches not weight....but i always try to bare in mind that muscle mass is much heavier than fat mass......but i dont do measurements during (TOM) simply because i know we get bloated, and gain inches....even though we know this, some people get disappointed in their water bloated inches...but i have'nt noticed any added weight from it.....:flowerforyou: