Breakfast on the go

Options
2»

Replies

• splashwags
    splashwags Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great ideas everyone! I am not a big fan of oatmeal (I used to have to put tons of sugar in it to be able to eat it) but maybe I will try it again. Thanks again!!!!

Throw blueberries/strawberries/blackberries/peaches in to add natural sugar... Yummy
  • TNH76
    TNH76 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Better Oats - Oat Fit Instant Oatmeal (any flavor). Between 100-200 calories per pouch and very tasty and filling! Takes about 2 minutes in the microwave. I make one every morning at work and also have a piece of fruit or yogurt.

I agree. They're delicious and filling!
  • theresaaugello
    Options
    Blueberry Eggos with a half serving of whipped cream cheese! I rush out the door every morning with those in my hand.
  • Iceskatefanrn
    Iceskatefanrn Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I go to work at about 5:30 in the morning and I'm just not hungry that early, so I almost always eat at work.

I use a lot of the above suggestions - most prepared the night before, like an egg sandwich, smoothie, etc. I always pack breakfast AND lunch to take to work... well, most days!

For the days I don't get something packed in advance, I keep a few things at work (I have a small fridge in my office). Fruit, string cheese, raw almonds, granola bars, etc. LOVE the hard-boiled egg idea several people talked about. I'm gonna boil some up on Sundays and take some to work to keep in my fridge!

My latest favorite thing, though, is the "Corningware French White Pop-Ins 20 Oz Mug With Cover". You can google it as described and see a pic. I got mine at Walmart on sale for $4.99. I have one at the office and one at home. Then, at the office, I keep a variety of oatmeals for breakfasts, and "healthful" canned soups and chilis for lunches. (low-sodium varieties!). As for sweetening the oatmeal - I use Davinci or Torani Sugar-Free syrups, they come in a variety of flavors and add yummy sweetness to my oatmeal by using very little. (I also use these same sweeteners in my hot tea every single day, usually a "mix" of flavors that I make myself.) I also like Silk Almond Milk (unflavored and unsweetened) in my tea AND in my oatmeal!

Great thread, thanx for starting it!

:drinker:

Ice
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    We boil large batches of eggs once a week and have them available. When I bake chicken I'll often bake extra to have on hand in the fridge too. I also always keep string cheese and fruit around as those are good grab and go foods. Can you see a theme here? :D I have to have protein in my breakfast or I'm starving very quickly so oatmeal (even loaded with nuts and chia seeds) won't work for me.

When my husband goes hunting in the fall I make whole wheat bread and roll out small circles of the dough. Then I put scrambled eggs, cooked bacon and a little cheese in the center and seal the dough around it. I bake these and wrap them individually in foil. If he's in a trailer he just unwraps them and nukes them for a few seconds. If not he just eats them cold since they're completely cooked. It is a very filling, high protein, good carbs breakfast that keeps him going as he hikes all over. He has told me he doesn't get hungry until well after lunchtime and loves taking these with him.

I've made them for everyday breakfasts too but I don't always get that motivated. ;)

Love the bread idea!!!! I'll have to give that a try...baking time the same as the bread recipe?

Yeah, about there. Keep an eye on them and when they start to brown they're probably done. I do mine on a stoneware cookie sheet so the bottoms are nicely browned and don't tend to stick. They taste good and they're portable. :)
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat... no time to MAKE breakfast in the morning, but I must get 3 meals a day in. So, every Sunday afternoon, I make up 5 egg white omelets (made up of 1/2 C egg whites, 1/3 oz shredded cheese, 1 bob evans turkey sausage patty, and a handful of fresh spinach). I then put each omelet in it's own zip-loc baggie, and either throw them in the fridge or freezer. When I'm packing my lunch in the morning, I just grab a baggie and take it to work to be heated in the office microwave. Healthy, nutritious, and tasty!!
  • lestahling
    Options
    I love the special k protein meal bars. I'm at school all day during the week so i usually have that for lunch, with an apple.

Or any protein bar really, I just try to keep atleast 10g of protein and around 200 calories.
  • jessdulin
    Options
    i cook all my food for the week on sunday or monday this makes it much more easy to grab and go especially when i pre container or bag everything. hard boiled eggs are a great on the go thing or like everyone else said fruit or raw veggies if you dont need the sugar in your meal plans for the day like me.
  • Cristy_AZ
    Cristy_AZ Posts: 986
    Options
    Here's some suggestions from Jillian Michael's Fat-Burning meal plan:

Yogurt Parfait
    In a bowl, layer 9 ounces nonfat plain Greek yogurt, 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts, 1 cup berries.
    357 calories per serving, 16 g fat (4 g saturated), 27 g carbs, 9 g fiber, 29 g protein

Eat and Run
    1 hard-boiled egg; 1 medium banana; 3 tbsp unsalted almonds
    323 calories per serving, 19 g fat (3 g saturated), 32 g carbs, 6 g fiber, 13 g protein

Almond Muffin
    Spread 1 1/2 tbsp almond butter on a whole-wheat English muffin. Serve with 1 kiwifruit or 1 orange.
    331 calories per serving, 16 g fat (2 g saturated), 43 g carbs, 8 g fiber, 10 g protein

Berry Smooth
    Blend 1/2 cup fresh berries, 1/4 cup rolled oats, 1 cup So Delicious coconut milk, 3 tbsp whey protein powder. Add water to thin or ice to thicken.
    338 calories, 8 g fat (6 g saturated), 26 g carbs, 6 g fiber, 41 g protein

Coffee Shop Special
    Starbucks Perfect Oatmeal With Nut Medley Topping, 12 oz nonfat latte
    340 calories, 12 g fat (2 g saturated), 42 g carbs, 4 g fiber, 17 g protein

Breakfast Bowl
    1 1/2 cups high-fiber cereal (like All-Bran); 1/2 cup skim milk; 1/2 banana, sliced
    349 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated), 90 g carbs, 29 g fiber, 19 g protein

Oatmeal
    Cook 1/2 cup regular rolled oats (not instant) in 3/4 cup nonfat milk, 1/4 cup water. Top with 1/4 cup blueberries.
    386 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated), 66 g carbs, 9 g fiber, 19 g protein

Subway Breakfast
    One Egg White and Cheese Muffin Melt; 1 medium banana; 1 cup nonfat milk
    336 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated), 57 g carbs, 8 g fiber, 22 g protein
  • Jami22
    Jami22 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great ideas everyone! I am not a big fan of oatmeal (I used to have to put tons of sugar in it to be able to eat it) but maybe I will try it again. Thanks again!!!!
    I've been eating the Great Value Instant oatmeal.. Love the Strawberry and Cream or Peaches and Cream. It gives it good flavor and I don't add anything to it.. When I eat plain oatmeal I would load it down with butter and brown sugar.. One package of instant oatmeal is only 130 calories. I usually eat a piece of wheat toast or fruit with it.
  • PokenStick
    PokenStick Posts: 204
    Options
    I eat a protein shake with frozen fruit and a hard boiled egg. nom nom nom

Do you make your own protein shakes or buy them?

I make them. A scoop of protein powder, a cup of almond milk, and a hand full of frozen fruit. I have a big plastic cup that I blend it all together in with a hand blender. Takes all of 5min to make and I drink it in the car on the way to work.
  • Froggy1976
    Froggy1976 Posts: 472
    Options
    I take a container of 1% cottage cheese or 2 hard boiled eggs and I only eat the whites, mostly because I dont like the taste of the yolk but it does reduce the calories greatly too.
  • Aspynmom
    Aspynmom Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I'll make some oatmeal and put in frozen blueberries and almond milk. I make it in the morning and pack it, but you could do it the night before. I also like the Jimmy Dean D-Light and the Schwans Light muffin sandwiches. About twice a week I'll have a Shakeology shake. Sometimes I'll make a fried egg sandwich and bring that. I like to add about 15 minutes into my morning routine to assemble my food for the day!