MFP Runner's Club July 21

Options
kechiemc
kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
Good morning :flowerforyou:

Another rest day for me... My running schedule is pretty light this week.:grumble:

If you are interested, there is a free yoga site called YogaToday.com. I went there this morning and attempted the Standing Balancing Postures Class. It was hard!

Enjoy the day
:heart: -Kechie.

Replies

• kechiemc
    Options

Another rest day for me... My running schedule is pretty light this week.:grumble:

If you are interested, there is a free yoga site called YogaToday.com. I went there this morning and attempted the Standing Balancing Postures Class. It was hard!

Enjoy the day
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options
    Morning,

I was not able to get out of bed this morning. :grumble: :yawn:
    I have to run errands tonight after work so I think today will be a rest day too.

Kechie, I don't know how you run in high humidity. It's so hot over here, and I can't imagine running in it. Thank goodness my 1/2 is at the end of September cuz I don't think I could survive a summer one!! lol
    You rock!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Mireille
  • MargieM
    MargieM Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    I'm baaaack! After over 3 weeks of not being able to run due to congestion and such, I finally hit the pavement again yesterday morning. My goal was to do the 25 minutes straight, which is where I was in the Couch to 5K before getting sick. I actually went 28 minutes and was going to go longer, but I coughed and my legs said that was enough for now. So, hoping to get back into a regular routine again. I changed my hours at work though, so I'm not sure when I'm going to be able to run. It's dark in the morning and too hot at night. I'll figure it out. Have a good one!
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Congrats to all the runners today. I had bootcamp this morning. I hurt my back sometime over the weekend and I wasn't able to do too much. I am hoping it stops hurting by the end of the week.
  • areay
    areay Posts: 463
    Options
    I had a great swim today, after my race this weekend. It helped to stretch things out!
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    I had a great swim today, after my race this weekend. It helped to stretch things out!

Well.........tell us about your race, missy!! :flowerforyou:

No run for me this morning. DD is in the habit of waking me up around 2:30 to tell me she needs a tissue, wants a drink of water, has to go potty,etc....:explode:

She & I will be having a little talk tonight. :bigsmile:
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    [She & I will be having a little talk tonight. :bigsmile:

Shannon, I don't miss those days. Now my kids sleep until 1-2 in the afternoon. I just want them to leave the house so I can have some alone time for lunch. :laugh:
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    [She & I will be having a little talk tonight. :bigsmile:

Shannon, I don't miss those days. Now my kids sleep until 1-2 in the afternoon. I just want them to leave the house so I can have some alone time for lunch. :laugh:

:laugh:

This is a recent thing with her. Next time she comes into our room because her sheet came off or something (:explode: ) she can wake her daddy up. He can fall back to sleep right away, I stay up & stew about it for an hour or so. :indifferent:
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Everyone!

Mireille - sorry about your disappointing weekend...I was hoping you could get that run in - but I think you could do as mentioned (running it later in the week), as long as you are not too sore to run again on Saturday I don't think it would be a problem at all. Will you be able to stay on schedule while on vacation?

Shannon - time to introduce DD to the taste of benedryl!! Melatonin works wonders too if she will take a pill. I went through a bad phase last year with my youngest - every night waking up with the nightmares! :grumble: and you feel so bad because they are sleeping right through it but you are not!

Angie - tell us all about the race!!! Did you have a 'near God' experience?

I have to do 6 miles tonight in the ridiculous heat but I have to say, like Kechie, I am getting used to it. I know that it will allow me to perform better in the fall races too.

Margie - welcome back!! So glad you are finally feeling better. So now are you back on Week 6? I think that is where you left off, right? Are you going to redo Week 6 one more time before moving on?

Have a great day everyone!!
    Tricia
  • thalli1
    thalli1 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Morning all!

Today I'm going to do a weight/core workout and three miles on the elliptical. Way to go on your 31 miles areay! That's amazing!:flowerforyou:
  • MargieM
    Options
    I had started week 7 when I had to stop. So, I'm going to start at week 7 again since I was able to run the 25 minutes. I'm going to keep increasing my time. I also need to work on distance because I am running slooooooow. I only did 1.5 miles in that 28 minutes. So, I need to get to the 3.1 miles by end of September. It's exactly 3.1 miles from my driveway around the "block" (country roads), back to my driveway. So, when I can run all of that in 40 minutes or less, I will feel ready to run the 5K with other people and not humiliate myself.
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I had started week 7 when I had to stop. So, I'm going to start at week 7 again since I was able to run the 25 minutes. I'm going to keep increasing my time. I also need to work on distance because I am running slooooooow. I only did 1.5 miles in that 28 minutes. So, I need to get to the 3.1 miles by end of September. It's exactly 3.1 miles from my driveway around the "block" (country roads), back to my driveway. So, when I can run all of that in 40 minutes or less, I will feel ready to run the 5K with other people and not humiliate myself.

Stick with it, you will get there!!! also, are you keeping a journal of your progress? I didn't do this and now I wish I had.
  • MargieM
    Options

Stick with it, you will get there!!! also, are you keeping a journal of your progress? I didn't do this and now I wish I had.

I haven't been since I was following the program so closely (that was kinda like a progress journal), but I may have to start since it's now just improving upon everything I've done so far. Good idea, I'll have to get one going....
  • food_junkie
    food_junkie Posts: 434
    Options
    Hey guys! I got up and ran 7.5 miles this morning. The weather/humidity here is killing me so I think I might have to get up little earlier to make my runs more enjoyable haha..I hate summer heat! Anyways, hope everyone has a good monday!
  • StrawberryMargarita
    Options
    Goodmornig all, Back from weekend get away. I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend! Anyone else get Huge rains? Driving back from trip a lot of accidents on the highway because of huge downpours.
    I had planned to get up and run, but I wasn't up to it so I am going to do a lot of other things today to make up for it. And tomorrow I am going to go far!!!!
    I even bought some Access nutrition bars from Melaleuca I guess to help burn fat as energy when I work out? I will try it tomorrow and see if I can run really far, any easier.
    Today I am going to go on a bike ride and a bunch of yard work/gardening, so that will burn some of those calories.
    Oh and it looks like I only gained maybe half a pound or a pound from my weekend trip. Can't pass up those Strawberry Margarita's! I thought for sure it was going to be more. I will find out for sure in a little bit!
    SM
  • StrawberryMargarita
    Options

Enjoy the day

I will check it out, never really did yoga, but I heard only good things about it.
    SM
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Everyone!

I'm planning on hitting the gym in a couple of hours. Last week I did 22 minutes straight and hope that I can reach that again today since I haven't jogged in a few days.

I jog pretty slow (4mph) and I probably do close to 2 miles between the jogging and the walking. I really want to speed it up, but i'm worried I won't be able to run as long. So my question to you experts is this, should I focus on the length of time first and then add in the speed later, or should I work on the speed and then focus on the length of time I run?

Advice?
  • carvan
    carvan Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I took a learn to run course about 2 years ago. They advocate a run/walk program. For every 10 minutes of running you take a 1 minute walk break. Once you can do this 3 times, then you start working on speed, hills etc. Speed does come naturally as you will find that 10 minutes goes by quickly. Of course, they don't start out with 10 minutes. They start with a 1/1 combo, doing it 3x a week, then every week you increase the running part by one min until you reach 10 and you go from there. Sounds like you are on your way, almost at 3 x 10!
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    Ohhhhh I should totally try that. Run for 10 minutes, walk for 1 min - 3 times! I think i'm going to try that today! Thank you!
  • kechiemc
    Options
    I even bought some Access nutrition bars from Melaleuca I guess to help burn fat as energy when I work out? I will try it tomorrow and see if I can run really far, any easier.
    SM

I tried Access bars and I did not notice any difference. Let me know how they work for you. Are the ingredients listed?

-Kechie.