One Hundred Pushups

Replies

• dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Well I did this today. Really pathetic, I was surprised at how few I could do. I've been concentrating on Cardio and I guess I need more balance. That just means this is a really good challenge for me.

Thanks to whoever suggested it.
  • mechanicmom
    mechanicmom Posts: 5,694 Member
    Hey I'm in! I did the test this morning and could do 6 real full pushups. Pathetic! I did day one with modified pushups today. This week will be on my knees. I think next week I can do the first week again with full push ups. I also do Taebo and that works the upper body a lot so I might have to do some weeks over again. I am doing Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday this week but next week I think I will do Mon-Wed-Fri. Cool! I'm glad someone brought this up! My hubby may even join as he's been trying to do pushups and won't want me to get ahead of him. :laugh:
  • Quenofcrazzy
    Quenofcrazzy Posts: 358
    ok..so I did the test..and I officially suck at push ups.
    I am rank one..2 at a time..
  • kistinbee
    kistinbee Posts: 3,688 Member
    ok..so I did the test..and I officially suck at push ups.
    I am rank one..2 at a time..

Hey hey...it's alright! That's the whole point of this challenge! Start SLOW and eventually be able to do 100! I am SO excited to get there!!!! When I do, I might even order myself a tee-shirt!:tongue:

Good luck guys!!!!!:flowerforyou:
  • calatibo
    calatibo Posts: 289 Member
    i'm in, but i just spent an hour and a half in the gym so my arms are already like jelly. will do test later today, but will ahve to start the training tomorrow.

Likely to skip a week when i am on holiday so you lot will be way ahead ina fortnight.

good luck everyone.
  • calatibo
    ok, 31 press-ups (or us UKers), and now i hurt.

Always wanted to get better at these (and sit ups) but they don't feature in my gym work. Now i have the motivation i think they might (just need a sit up challenge)
  • Lavendersunday
    Lavendersunday Posts: 458 Member
    Hello All,

Can I join? I was on vaca last week...so I will start at Day 2 of Week 1 (level 1) :embarassed: .

Looking forward to buying the T-Shirt. (smaller size of course) :laugh: when I achieve this goal!

I LOVE a great plan!!!!!!!!!

~Namaste :flowerforyou:

~Mi
  • kistinbee
    Wooohooo! Just...literally...just finished doing Week 1 Day 1 (medium group) and I can say that at the end level (max) I did 10. So...can't wait to continue!!!! Yes! First day done! I wish everyone else good luck! I'll be back on Thursday!!!!:drinker:
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Ok, woke up this morning and I can barely move my arms, hahaha. I think tomorrow will be quite interesting! Hahaha

Granted I don't think this was just pushups though, I did about 3 hours of tennis last night which almost definately helped - I was working on my serves, lol.
  • Juliebean
    Juliebean Posts: 317
    I'm a little late, but I'm in! Hoping I can do at least 5 push-ups...!
  • kistinbee
    QUESTION: I know some of you are doing modified pushups...are any of you doing REAL pushups? Like I had mentioned earlier, I think I want to do modified for the first week or two and then switch to real...do you think this is a good idea??
  • msarro
    QUESTION: I know some of you are doing modified pushups...are any of you doing REAL pushups? Like I had mentioned earlier, I think I want to do modified for the first week or two and then switch to real...do you think this is a good idea??

I'm doing real pushups at the moment - after I complete the program I'm going to do it over with diamond pushups.

Full pushups offer more of a benefit because a) there's more weight on your arms, and b) it slightly modifies the angle that you use for the exercise. Because you change the angle, you'll be using slightly different muscles compared to a modified pushup.

Both will help so long as you remember full range of motion, and don't drop yourself/use momentum. Go slow. Thats why I use a metronome set to 50 bpm. If you stick to it you get one heck of a workout. Full pushups will just help a little bit more.
  • michaelhe
    michaelhe Posts: 81 Member
    Kristinbee--

I'm doing real pushups... as I move forward I wish I hadn't been able to do 17 the first time because level 3 is pretty aggressive!!

I'm not sure how you could go about switching to real push ups as you proceed. Maybe you should go through the program and once you get to 100 modified push ups THEN go back through the program with the real ones?
  • msarro

I'm doing real pushups at the moment - after I complete the program I'm going to do it over with diamond pushups.

Full pushups offer more of a benefit because a) there's more weight on your arms, b) there's more stress placed on your abs to keep your body straight, and c) it slightly modifies the angle that you use for the exercise. Because you change the angle, you'll be using slightly different muscles compared to a modified pushup.

Both will help so long as you remember full range of motion, and don't drop yourself/use momentum. Go slow. Thats why I use a metronome set to 50 bpm. If you stick to it you get one heck of a workout. Full pushups will just help a little bit more.

Well, that was meant to be an edit. Silly me :)
  • Quenofcrazzy
    Quenofcrazzy Posts: 358
    Day one done..level 1..LOL
    Real Push ups..2, then 2, then 2, then 2more, then 3. I LOVE the 60 second breaks..
  • calatibo
    those 60 seconds really help, don't they.

anyway, day 1, week 1...

10 (i misread the instructions)

In a spot of pain :laugh: , but the big problem with me is finding a breathing rythm it would appear.
  • rosabella
    rosabella Posts: 194 Member
    I'm in. Tuesday, Thursday, and a Weekend... I can do that! :wink:
  • msarro
    those 60 seconds really help, don't they.

anyway, day 1, week 1...

10 (i misread the instructions)

In a spot of pain :laugh: , but the big problem with me is finding a breathing rythm it would appear.

Best breathing pattern would be the same you'd use for lifting I think. Inhale as you lower yourself, and exhale as you push yourself upwards. I figure if it works for a bench press, it should work here too :)
  • calatibo
    i rattle through the bench too, otherwise i would suffocate.

i have to remind myseolf that breathing is a good thing.

:laugh:

I'm sure i will figure it out wiuth you lot for support.
  • EllaBella
    EllaBella Posts: 140
    Hey I'm in too--just a day late!! Just saw the post and haven't looked up the website yet. I used to be able to do push-ups--its been a LONG time. We'll see!