Replace eggs in a cake mix?

Options
I have never liked eggs...But I would eat them IN things if I had to. But now that I am older and more able to pick what I eat and make/buy my own food I am trying to go eggless. I am making a box cake mix for my brothers bday and I do not want to put eggs in it. Any tried and true replacements?

Thanks!

Any other egg replacement tips would be great too!

Replies

• pwprice59
    pwprice59 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    flaxseed meal. mix 1 Tbsp of flaxseed meal with 3 Tbsp of water. Use in place of one egg in your recipe.
  • maeadair
    maeadair Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    wonder how it came out?
  • HannahPastoor
    Options
    wonder how it came out?

I haven't made it yet. I am doing it tonight : )
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    One box of your fave cake mix plus one can of diet soda. No other ingredients. Mix together and bake as directed. Fantastic!!! Try it I promise you will love it.

Good combos: devils food cake with diet cherry dr pepper
    White cake with sprite zero. Pink cake with diet 7up cherry.
  • HannahPastoor
    Options
    Looks fine (with flax)...We will find out tomorrow when all the picky eaters try it : ) We will see if they say anything about it being different : )

Lucky - I will try that sometime! Thanks!
  • awelch79
    awelch79 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    OK-never tried it, but a friend told me applesause. Hmmm....

Also, the cake mix and diet pop IS good! Just make sure to use 7 up or Sprite with white cake mixes!
  • lsd007
    lsd007 Posts: 435
    Options
    My daughter has an egg allergy, so I am a pro at this!!! You may use flax, tofu or applesauce. I haven't done it with a mix before (because she's basically allergic to ALL of the ingredients so we do homemade w/special recipes) so I am not sure which would work best in the mix. Also, if your omitting it to cut calories, you can substitute swap in sugar free applesauce for the vegetable oil.
  • cmmull67
    cmmull67 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Goggle "crazy cake" and check out all the egg-less recipes. My mom used to make these all the time because my sister is allergic to eggs.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I have an egg free sticky toffee pudding recipe, which is absolutely amazing. It uses dates instead of eggs as a binding agent.

http://www.vegetariancookeryschool.com/recipes/winter/sticky_toffee_pudding
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    You've probably already made the cake, but you could also try pumpkin puree in place of the oil and egg. Or you could just leave the egg out all together.

I have never tried the diet sprite thing. I am totally gonna check that one out.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    i would have thought the eggs would be one of the only healthy ingredients in a cake???
  • amylynn96
    amylynn96 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Im alwaaaaays looking for egg replacers my 5 yr old is allergic amoungest everything else. Ive never tried soda before thats a great idea. Ive tried the whole vinigar thing making mini cupcakes they came out decent too.
  • chris0912
    chris0912 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    i recently did a search for egg substitutes and found this info on thecookinginn.com:
    Useful Information To Know About Substituting Eggs:

Eggs have three main functions in cooking and baking; they add moistness, they bind ingredients together, or they leaven. How do you know what the egg is in your recipe? If the egg is the main liquid ingredient, it adds moistness. If the recipe has one egg but a fair amount of baking powder or soda, (or if there are no other components in the recipe that would be able to hold the other ingredients together, like bread crumbs, nuts, flour) the egg is the binder. If there are no other rising agents, the egg is the leavening.

Note:

To maintain the integrity of your recipe, you shouldn't try to replace more than two eggs.

If A Recipe Uses Eggs For It's Liquid Properties Alone:
    Two tablespoons per egg of any liquid, like juice, milk or soy milk, will do just fine. To add moisture and flavor to baked goods requiring eggs, substitute ½ (half) mashed banana or 1/4 (one-fourth) cup of applesauce or pureed fruit for each egg. Keep in mind that because these add moisture to a recipe, you might have to bake for a bit longer than the recipe calls for.

To Achieve The Binding Properties Of Eggs:
    Use one mashed banana per two eggs in baked sweets.
    Try blending two ounces of silken or soft tofu per egg with the liquid in the recipe.
    One tablespoon of arrowroot or one tablespoon soy flour and two tablespoons water mixed together also work when added to the ingredients.
    Try a mixture of 2 tablespoons flour, two tablespoons water, ½ (half) tablespoon oil and ½ (half) teaspoon baking powder.

To Achieve The Leavening Effects That Eggs Provide:
    Add an extra half teaspoon of baking powder per egg. Or, you can substitute an acidic liquid (buttermilk or thinned and beaten yogurt) for the liquid required in the recipe. To avoid a bitter final product, limit the amount of baking powder of baking soda to one teaspoon per cup of flour.
    Consider the way you want to make your batter. Add air to lighten by creaming together the sweetener and the fat before adding dry ingredients. Whipping the liquid ingredients together in a food processor for 30-45 seconds works, as well.
    Other Tips For Light, Eggless Baking:
    Successful eggless baking will be more successful if you don't take for granted the type of flour you use. For example, whole wheat flour contains gluten, which can make a chewy end product.
    Try replacing some of the whole wheat flour with whole wheat pastry flour or any other flour that doesn't contain gluten, like brown rice flour, buckwheat flour, soy flour, corn flour, millet flour, amaranth flour, or quinoa flour. Keep in mind, however, that gluten helps baked goods rise, and substituting with a low-gluten flour may not always work.

For egg-based recipes such as quiches and custards, however, the substitutes should be used for only half of the eggs. And the fat that's added prevents them from working in recipes calling for beaten whites, such as meringues and souffles.
  • Poehlerbear1983
    Options
    My son used to be allergic to eggs and I always made his cake with the diet soda. It comes out really moist but stickier than regular cake so it can be a pain if you need to decorate it I would suggest freezing it first! Lesson learned with that one lol.....his favorite was white cake with diet orange soda.
  • CameraGirlBond
    Options
    My son had an egg allergy until recently and apples mashed and blitzed or custard is really good. Custard gives a damper centre and apples are lighter.
  • sheetsofheaven
    sheetsofheaven Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    One box of your fave cake mix plus one can of diet soda. No other ingredients. Mix together and bake as directed. Fantastic!!! Try it I promise you will love it.

Good combos: devils food cake with diet cherry dr pepper
    White cake with sprite zero. Pink cake with diet 7up cherry.

use sprite for light cakes and coke for dark!!!! Super Duper!!
  • chelledepriest
    Options
    Bump!
  • carlybarley22
    carlybarley22 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • Lessofbeth
    Lessofbeth Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    a definite must try
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    OK-never tried it, but a friend told me applesause. Hmmm....

Applesauce replaces the oil NOT the egg. You still need to put in eggs or egg whites.