Quinoa favs?

Options
brendalyne
brendalyne Posts: 497
I bought some but haven't made any yet. What's your favorite way to prepare quinoa?

Replies

• Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Bump. :) I have a box of red quinoa in my cabinet and have yet to try it.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    like mexican rice...with mexicorn and black beans
    http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/quinoa-and-black-beans/Detail.aspx

delish!
  • Chiquita_Banana
    Options
    I mix it with italian dressing....lemon.. Throw in olives steamed spinach, steamed veggies n make it like a salad
  • Somenameioi
    Somenameioi Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    bump so I remember to post a recipe when I get home
  • brendalyne
    Options
    Both suggestions sound really good.:happy:
  • RobinS78
    RobinS78 Posts: 20
    Options
    I've had it as a hot side (kind of like rice) and added spices into it while it was cooking. I've also done it this way cooked in chicken soup mix or broth instead of water.

I've also had it as a cold salad with all sort of things mixed in; raisons, apple, parsley (fresh), I can't remember what else but there was a bunch of things in it. With lemon juice and citrus spices to flavour.

You could also make it as a cold salad and mix it into a salad or a wrap or pita.

It really is good. I love the nutty flavour.

All the best!

ps...I breathed in one seed into the wrong tube and it was AWFUL! Chew slowly I guess. LOL!
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I've had it at restaurants and just like it plain :)
  • Lanet27
    Lanet27 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I like the Lemony Quinoa with pine nuts lemon and celery!! Yummy!!!
    you can add other ingredients as you prefer.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Lemony-Quinoa/Detail.aspx
  • happy_vegan
    happy_vegan Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    http://www.theppk.com/?s=quinoa&r=1
    all the quinoa recipes from isa chandra

http://www.theppk.com/2010/10/quinoa-white-bean-and-kale-stew/
    I just made this yesterday, and it is DELICIOUS. it also makes a LOT of soup, so I have enough to store and keep on eating. You have to buy a lot of fresh vegetables but all in all it's still around $2 a serving. it makes 11 cups, around 191 cal/serving (1 cup). The good thing is that it's full of things that really fill you up like potatoes, parsnip, and quinoa.

I've never ever had a recipe from her that wasn't absolutely delicious. She's a genius. She also just came out with a diet cookbook.
  • brendalyne
    Options
    Now I'm getting excited to try it! It's the foodie in me. :love:
  • AndyBee
    AndyBee Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Personally, I haven't done this, but I've seen sushi make with quinoa instead of rice. Sounds healthier for sure. I was also thinking about adding cinnamon and milk to it, and eating it as a warm cereal type food.
  • Somenameioi
    Somenameioi Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    We had it for dinner last night. I made it something like this:

Rinse Quinoa till no longer foamy . Bring 1 cup of Quinoa, 1 tsp of cumin, 1/2 tsp of salt and 1 1/2 cups of water to a boil. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until Quinoa is tender.
    Add I can of rinsed garbanzo beans, 1 can of diced tomatoes, 1 cup of shelled edemame and 1 T of olive oil - cook till warm.

Add 1 cup of feta, 1/2 cup of cilantro and juice of 1 lime. Garnish with avocado and salsa if you want.

Mine was about 344 calories per serving if you serve 6. It has 19 grams of protein and 8 grams of fiber

Yum!

I adapted a recipe using cous cous instead of quinoa
    http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=10000000431062
  • ducky110807
    Options
    I love this one, even my picky toddler eats it. I left out the sugar. http://eatingwelllivingthin.wordpress.com/2010/11/01/love-my-quinoa-burger/
  • kellykaye_xo
    kellykaye_xo Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    We had it for dinner last night. I made it something like this:

Rinse Quinoa till no longer foamy . Bring 1 cup of Quinoa, 1 tsp of cumin, 1/2 tsp of salt and 1 1/2 cups of water to a boil. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until Quinoa is tender.
    Add I can of rinsed garbanzo beans, 1 can of diced tomatoes, 1 cup of shelled edemame and 1 T of olive oil - cook till warm.

Add 1 cup of feta, 1/2 cup of cilantro and juice of 1 lime. Garnish with avocado and salsa if you want.

Mine was about 344 calories per serving if you serve 6. It has 19 grams of protein and 8 grams of fiber

Yum!

I adapted a recipe using cous cous instead of quinoa
    http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=10000000431062

This recipe sounds yummy! I will have to give this a try! :)
  • DoReMiFaSoLaTiDo
    Options
    Bump. :) I have a box of red quinoa in my cabinet and have yet to try it.

Ive made this several times with much success...

http://www.neverhomemaker.com/2010/05/red-quinoa-bread.html
  • SuperKatie
    SuperKatie Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Add some roasted beets and parsley and balsamic vinegar.

Add some zucchini, goat cheese, and pine nut and lemon juice.

Cook like rice pilaf. Saute garlic and onions in EVOO until soft. Add quinoa and stir to coat in oil. Add chicken stock and bring to boil. Season (S&P, thyme, bay leaf), cover and cook in 400 degree oven for 17 minutes. Fluff with fork. Ratio quinoa:liquid 1:1.5
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is like my new fave breakfast thing.... even though i eat breakfast for dinner too :) (brinner :D)

I have 2 for ya!

cook your quinoa, then add:
    1c milk (i use soy)
    1/2tsp cinnamon
    2tbs dried cranberries
    2tbs golden raisins
    1/4tsp (or less) salt

Options- slivered almonds, pumpkin seeds, walnuts, flax meal, wheat germ, agave nectar, maple syrup.

lets it all simmer until it's as thick as you like.

And this is my personal fave!!!!-

Peanut Butter Banana Quinoa Porridge:

2 tbs dry quinoa (i double that)
    1/2 cup water
    1 whole banana
    1/4 tsp vanilla extract
    1 tsp blackstrap molasses
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1/4 cup almond milk
    1 tbs milled flaxseed
    1/4 cup egg whites
    2 tbs peanut butter (unsalted is the best, and I usually use 3tbs :) )
    1-2 tsp honey, to taste

Cook quinoa, add banana. Let it return to a boil, and stir/mash the banana until fully incorporated into porridge. Reduce heat, and add in cinnamon, blackstrap molasses, and vanilla. Add almond milk and flax, and stir until creamy. Slowly add in egg whites, and stir until fluffy. Increase heat for a half minute, stir. Remove from heat, top with peanut butter and honey.
  • corpus_validum
    corpus_validum Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I get Bob's Red Mill Organic Quinoa at Costco when they have it in stock. With Bob's, they're pre-rinsed so that I don't have to go through the hassle. Put it in a rice cooker with low-sodium chicken stock, and it comes out fluffy and soft with a little bit of flavor; and use it in any dish in lieu of rice. Mmmm mmmm.
  • autumn13
    autumn13 Posts: 295
    Options
    Quinoa is like my new fave breakfast thing.... even though i eat breakfast for dinner too :) (brinner :D)

I have 2 for ya!

cook your quinoa, then add:
    1c milk (i use soy)
    1/2tsp cinnamon
    2tbs dried cranberries
    2tbs golden raisins
    1/4tsp (or less) salt

Options- slivered almonds, pumpkin seeds, walnuts, flax meal, wheat germ, agave nectar, maple syrup.

lets it all simmer until it's as thick as you like.

And this is my personal fave!!!!-

Peanut Butter Banana Quinoa Porridge:

2 tbs dry quinoa (i double that)
    1/2 cup water
    1 whole banana
    1/4 tsp vanilla extract
    1 tsp blackstrap molasses
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1/4 cup almond milk
    1 tbs milled flaxseed
    1/4 cup egg whites
    2 tbs peanut butter (unsalted is the best, and I usually use 3tbs :) )
    1-2 tsp honey, to taste

Cook quinoa, add banana. Let it return to a boil, and stir/mash the banana until fully incorporated into porridge. Reduce heat, and add in cinnamon, blackstrap molasses, and vanilla. Add almond milk and flax, and stir until creamy. Slowly add in egg whites, and stir until fluffy. Increase heat for a half minute, stir. Remove from heat, top with peanut butter and honey.

I'm so glad we are friends:)This is so yummy:)
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    BUMP! I bought quinoa the other day as well and am looking for some ideas. These all sound awesome.

Keep them coming! :o)