Quinoa favs?

Options
2»

Replies

• JohnnyNull
    JohnnyNull Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Personally, I haven't done this, but I've seen sushi make with quinoa instead of rice. Sounds healthier for sure. I was also thinking about adding cinnamon and milk to it, and eating it as a warm cereal type food.

Wait -- what? I've NEVER heard of this. I must investigate!
  • canaussie
    canaussie Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I posted this before... but it is so great...

I LOVE Quinoa! This is my favorite recipe:

Quinoa, Avocado and Mango salad

1 C Quinoa (red or white)
    2 C Reduced Sodium Chicken broth
    1 Mango, Chopped
    1/4 C Cilantro, chopped
    2 T Chives, chopped
    4T Shallots, chopped
    1/2 Avocado, chopped
    1 T olive oil
    Juice of 1 lime

Cook the quinoa in the chicken broth as you would cook rice. Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temp. Mix in with all other ingredients and voila! SO YUMMY!

Serves 4
    Cals: 287
    Carb: 47
    Fat: 9
    Protein: 8
  • Brelynn
    Brelynn Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas.
  • MightyNorwegian
    Options
    :smooched: Try this for breakfast some time! Add. 1. c.quinoa or 1/2 c quinoa and 1/2 bulgar, 1 c. skim milk, bring to boil, simmer 15min or untill liquid is absorbed. Add fresh or frozen blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, whatever you like. Sprinkle some Splenda on top for a touch of sweetness if you prefer and enjoy!
  • rocky03
    rocky03 Posts: 55
    Options
    bump
  • rocky03
    rocky03 Posts: 55
    Options
    We had it for dinner last night. I made it something like this:

Rinse Quinoa till no longer foamy . Bring 1 cup of Quinoa, 1 tsp of cumin, 1/2 tsp of salt and 1 1/2 cups of water to a boil. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until Quinoa is tender.
    Add I can of rinsed garbanzo beans, 1 can of diced tomatoes, 1 cup of shelled edemame and 1 T of olive oil - cook till warm.

Add 1 cup of feta, 1/2 cup of cilantro and juice of 1 lime. Garnish with avocado and salsa if you want.

Mine was about 344 calories per serving if you serve 6. It has 19 grams of protein and 8 grams of fiber

Yum!

I adapted a recipe using cous cous instead of quinoa
    http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=10000000431062
  • JAG1224
    JAG1224 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Quinoa "Fried Rice"

As a side dish:
    Servings: 5 servings • Serving Size: 1 cup • Calories: 252.3 • Fat: 6.3 g • Carbs: 39 g • Fiber: 5.6 g • Protein: 11.7

As a main dish:
    Servings: 4 servings • Serving Size: 1 1/4 cups • Calories: 315.4 • Fat: 7.8 g • Carbs: 48.7 g • Fiber: 7.0 g • Protein: 14.6

4 cups cooked quinoa
    8 scallions, chopped
    4 cloves garlic, minced
    2 red peppers, diced small
    1 tomato, diced small
    4 tsp low sodium soy sauce (for gluten free use gf tamari)
    2 tsp fish sauce
    2 tsp vegetable oil
    spray oil
    3 egg whites, scrambled
    1 whole egg, scrambled
    salt

In a nonstick wok, spray oil and add the eggs and salt and cook a minute or two until done. Set aside.

Add the remaining oil to the wok and add the scallions, peppers and garlic. Saute about a minute, add the tomato and stir in all the quinoa. Add soy sauce and fish sauce stir to mix all the ingredients. Keep stirring a few minutes, then add cooked scrambled egg. Adjust soy sauce if needed to taste and mix well another 30 seconds. Serve with sliced cucumbers for a complete meal.

quinoa-fried-rice.jpg

recipe site: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/02/quinoa-fried-rice-525-pts.html
  • popsicle33
    popsicle33 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I really love quinoa but have never cooked it myself. Thanks for the interesting recipe ideas!
    Amy
  • MichelleB69
    MichelleB69 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Adding this to my arsenal of recipes; I haven't ever made it either, but have used the quinoa pasta alot.
  • sheetsofheaven
    sheetsofheaven Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Cindylulu34
    Cindylulu34 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I love quinoa! My kids even love it! Our favorite way to prepare and eat it is...
    Roast some fresh asparagus and onion with a drizzle of salt, pepper, and evoo in the oven until it's the way you like it. While veggies are roasting, cook the quinoa. When the quinoa is finished cooking, stir in some low-fat greek yogurt (your choice how much, it just needs to be creamy). Also squeeze some lemon juice into the creamy quinoa, add some fresh or dried thyme and salt and pepper. Adjust the seasonings to your taste. Spread some of the quinoa mixture onto a big tortilla (we use Ezekiel sprouted tortillas). Place 3 asparagus on the quinoa and some onions on top, roll up, and eat. It's really fantastic!!!

Our favorite quinoa is Earthly Delights Organic Quinoa from Costco.
    Enjoy!
  • bossmodehan
    bossmodehan Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    These are all amazing! Just happened to have bought my first ever bag of quinoa today!
  • mb1883
    mb1883 Posts: 37
    Options
    I mix quinoa with lemon juice and lemon zest and chick peas. I like to serve it cold.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Prepare it with plain water and keep it in the fridge. It is DELICIOUS reheated with unsweetened almond milk, banana slices, a sprinkle of coconut and a bit of sweetener (I use agave).

It's a super easy super complex-carb/protein hot breakfast!
  • mnkarp
    mnkarp Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Re: sushi - there is a great vegan cookbook by Tal Ronnen that has a quinoa sushi roll. Also a more composed dish with quinoa layered with roasted sweet potatoes, avocado and a tomatillo vinaigrette.

I usually chop up all different veggies, toss with cooked quinoa, and make a simple vinaigrette for it. Lovely, refreshing dish.
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options
    This is one of my favorite make-ahead salad for summer!
    From Martha Rose Shulman of the NYTimes: Quinoa, Corn and Edamame salad. It also has radish, celery, red pepper - as well as some lime juice and serrano chile, cilantro for kick and feta for extra protein and saltiness.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/14/health/nutrition/14recipehealth.html
    - - - - - -
    QUINOA CORN AND EDAMAME SALAD - Martha Rose Shulman
    Quinoa and edamame contribute lots of protein to this mildly spicy, highly textured summer salad.

For the salad:

1 cup quinoa, cooked
    2 ears sweet corn
    1 small red onion, finely diced
    1 red bell pepper, cut in small dice
    1/2 cup thinly sliced celery, from the tender inner stalks
    4 or 5 radishes, sliced
    1/2 cup fresh or thawed frozen edamame
    2 ounces feta, cut in small dice (about 1/2 cup, optional)
    1 jalapeño or serrano chile, minced
    1/2 cup chopped cilantro

For the dressing:

2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
    1 garlic clove (more to taste), finely minced or pureed
    1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
    Salt to taste

1. Cut the corn kernels away from the cobs. Discard the cobs (or use for stock), and place the kernels in a steamer above 1 inch of boiling water. Cover and steam for four minutes. Remove from the heat, rinse with cold water and drain.
    2. Soak the onion in cold water to cover for five minutes. Drain, rinse and drain on paper towels.
    3. Combine all the salad ingredients in a large bowl. Whisk together the dressing ingredients and toss with the salad. Serve.
    Yield: Serves four to six.

Advance preparation: The quinoa freezes well and the assembled salad will keep for a day in the refrigerator.

Nutritional information per serving (four servings): 359 calories; 18 grams fat; 2 grams saturated fat; 0 milligrams cholesterol; 43 grams carbohydrates; 6 grams dietary fiber; 25 milligrams sodium (does not include salt added during cooking); 10 grams protein

Nutritional information per serving (six servings): 239 calories; 12 grams fat; 2 grams saturated fat; 0 milligrams cholesterol; 29 grams carbohydrates; 4 grams dietary fiber; 17 milligrams sodium (does not include salt added during cooking); 7 grams protein
  • kdp552
    kdp552 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Bump
    Some really great ideas above! I just cooked some quinoa and stuffed it in a whole chicken and put it in the oven to bake. I hope it is as good as it smells. I added a little garlic and chopped portobello mushrooms before I stuffed it in the chicken.
  • Tammysueless
    Options
    like mexican rice...with mexicorn and black beans
    http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/quinoa-and-black-beans/Detail.aspx

delish!
    oooo maybe add a can of Rotel for a kick. YUMMY!!
  • snowbunnyak
    Options
    bump