MFP Runners Club - July 22

Options

Replies

• Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options
    Okay ladies, we ended up skipping the class so we could work on our jogging! It's addicting! :bigsmile:

Can i just say OMG, am I ever going to get better at this? I think I almost died. I did the same thing as yesterday except instead of doing 5 minutes on the last set of jogging I did 6 minutes. So I improved by one minute. I am happy with that and proud of myself. This is how it went.

5 walk 10 jog 1 walk 10 jog (dying at this point) 4 walk 5 jog 5 walk (dead).

Seriously, I was like picking myself off the treadmill. In total I burned 470 calories. Well, that is what my HRM says. Does that seem right?

Sounds right to me. I normally burn 535 calories in a 53 minute run, so that's pretty close.
    May I say that you are doing an amazing job!! You are getting better one minute at a time which is a perfect way of avoiding injuries. You rock!! :flowerforyou:
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    Okay ladies, we ended up skipping the class so we could work on our jogging! It's addicting! :bigsmile:

Can i just say OMG, am I ever going to get better at this? I think I almost died. I did the same thing as yesterday except instead of doing 5 minutes on the last set of jogging I did 6 minutes. So I improved by one minute. I am happy with that and proud of myself. This is how it went.

Seriously, I was like picking myself off the treadmill. In total I burned 470 calories. Well, that is what my HRM says. Does that seem right?

Sounds right to me. I normally burn 535 calories in a 53 minute run, so that's pretty close.
    May I say that you are doing an amazing job!! You are getting better one minute at a time which is a perfect way of avoiding injuries. You rock!! :flowerforyou:

Thanks Girl. I hope I am posting in the MFP runners thread in a few months saying...

"hi ladies, I just ran from Texas to California today. It was hard, but such a good workout. I hope you guys are having a good day!"

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Think my expectations are too high? :bigsmile:
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options

Thanks Girl. I hope I am posting in the MFP runners thread in a few months saying...

"hi ladies, I just ran from Texas to California today. It was hard, but such a good workout. I hope you guys are having a good day!"

pffffttt...not at all.

I could probably do 4 states in 5 seconds! th_happy0005.gif

Us_four_corners_msspider.jpg

:laugh:
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options

Not at all! lol Whenever I see the "Forest Gump" movie, I just want to run with him. lol
    Before long, you'll be posting that you ran 6, 7 and 8 miles. Keep running girl, you are fabulous! :flowerforyou:
  • lina1131
    Options

pffffttt...not at all.

I could probably do 4 states in 5 seconds! th_happy0005.gif

Us_four_corners_msspider.jpg

:laugh:

How could I ever beat that? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • carvan
    carvan Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Hey runners:

LOL at the uring issue! My motto is "Pee clear!" Mine is never dark, just bright yellow after vitamins! Even first one in the morning looks more like lemonade. But I drink water during the night.

Well, I won't be posting any running times for a few more weeks.
    Went to the Podiatrist and I have injured the ligaments in my big toe. Takes 4-6 weeks to heal and I am heading into week 3. Will go for physical therapy (ugh) to speed up the progress. In the meantime my aqua jogger will be getting a lot of use, as long as it doesn't rain.

Lina: You are doing a great job! One minute more is excellent. I would advise you to hold at that amount for the rest of the week, and then increase by one minute each week.

All you runners rock! I don't run distances like you guys, I stick to 5-8 KM. Maybe after I get my orthotics, I will be able to increase. For now, just need the darn toe to get better

Carol
  • Shannon023
    Options
    Bummer about your toe, that stinks! :frown:
  • lina1131
    Options
    Carvan, sorry about the toe. I hope it heels soon! :heart:
  • annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I got 2.5 in today.

After being away from a 'fast' internet connection, I figured I'd post about my run on Sat (Minor compared with a 50K), but I did a 10K (a little short at 5.9 miles) in 51:42. 8:19 miles - 11th women's, 5th in my age group (could have been 4th, but I let someone pass me in the last 1/2 mile and didn't have it in me to keep up). I decided to use that as a deciding factor in signing up for the 1/2 marathon in September and since I didn't hurt, I guess I"ll have to do it. I still have a few days before I have to send it in.
  • Theresa35
    Theresa35 Posts: 1,102
    Options

theresa - have you looked into the Couch Potato to 5K training program yet? There are several members and friends of mine that have had very good success following this program. I would suggest looking into it and see if it is something you would be interested in. http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

I remember seeing someone on here mention that, but have not looked into it. Thanks for the link. I will check it out, and more than likely have questions, so you'll probably be hearing from me...LOL.

Happy Tuesday!
  • mhsrnmz
    mhsrnmz Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have been insanely busy at my 2 jobs and 5 kids out of school but today I had to post: I did 5 miles for the first time since highschool!! I have only been running 2-3 times per week but I have been bike commuting 2 days per week and now 4 miles is my short run. And I registered for my first race since highschool. Woohoo!
  • Shannon023
    Options
    I have been insanely busy at my 2 jobs and 5 kids out of school but today I had to post: I did 5 miles for the first time since highschool!! I have only been running 2-3 times per week but I have been bike commuting 2 days per week and now 4 miles is my short run. And I registered for my first race since highschool. Woohoo!

Great job!!!!! :drinker: How far is your first race?? :smile:
  • thalli1
    thalli1 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Hey everybody!

Welcome to the runner's club Banks! I've learned a lot from your posts in the past, especially when I was a newbie, so it's great to have you here giving us runners your input.

I'm just leaving to do a speed workout. It's two 4 by 400's as fast as I can with a minute rest in between each 400. I'll also do a couple of warmup miles and cooldown miles so I should get in about six today.

Nice job Kechie and Tricia running in the humidity! It's a great running weather pattern here in Oregon right now. For the past several days it's been cloudy in the morning burning off to sunny and warm in the afternoon. That's perfect for a morning run.

Have a great day runners!:flowerforyou:

Terry:heart:

I'm still plodding away at about 10:00/mile. :embarassed: Gotta really work on my speed.

So, bit the bullet & signed up for the 1/2 marathon. {{GULP}} Three more weeks. thud.gif

Yay Shannon! Way to go! You'll do great!:flowerforyou:
  • Theresa35
    Theresa35 Posts: 1,102
    Options

theresa - have you looked into the Couch Potato to 5K training program yet? There are several members and friends of mine that have had very good success following this program. I would suggest looking into it and see if it is something you would be interested in. http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Thank you so much for leading me to this site. After looking at the schedule it seems so do-able. I think I always thought you just had to begin with a great time and or distance. These are such small steps I totally think I can do it. Trying to decide the best time to get started....I have month until school starts, wow wonder where I could be by then...how cool would that be!!!

Thanks again, and I'll keep you updated!!!
  • mhsrnmz
    mhsrnmz Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    My race is 5 miles. I know that is not much considering the company here, but I am psyched because I know I can do it. Thank you all for the inspiration. :flowerforyou:
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Hey runners:

LOL at the uring issue! My motto is "Pee clear!" Mine is never dark, just bright yellow after vitamins! Even first one in the morning looks more like lemonade. But I drink water during the night.

Well, I won't be posting any running times for a few more weeks.
    Went to the Podiatrist and I have injured the ligaments in my big toe. Takes 4-6 weeks to heal and I am heading into week 3. Will go for physical therapy (ugh) to speed up the progress. In the meantime my aqua jogger will be getting a lot of use, as long as it doesn't rain.

Lina: You are doing a great job! One minute more is excellent. I would advise you to hold at that amount for the rest of the week, and then increase by one minute each week.

All you runners rock! I don't run distances like you guys, I stick to 5-8 KM. Maybe after I get my orthotics, I will be able to increase. For now, just need the darn toe to get better

Carol

Hard to imagine that something so little can cause such a big fuss!! Sorry about your toe! Hope you are back up and running very soon!!
  • pmkelly409
    Options
    My race is 5 miles. I know that is not much considering the company here, but I am psyched because I know I can do it. Thank you all for the inspiration. :flowerforyou:

Are you kidding!?!?! any race is important and note worthy!! Congrats and Good Luck! Let us know how you did!!
  • pmkelly409
    Options

Thank you so much for leading me to this site. After looking at the schedule it seems so do-able. I think I always thought you just had to begin with a great time and or distance. These are such small steps I totally think I can do it. Trying to decide the best time to get started....I have month until school starts, wow wonder where I could be by then...how cool would that be!!!

Thanks again, and I'll keep you updated!!!

Hey great to hear you checked it out. I agree, it is a very sensible program, gives you a real sense of accomplishment and I feel that it will keep you from getting injured too. Cannot wait til you start! We are here for you!! :flowerforyou:
  • food_junkie
    food_junkie Posts: 434
    Options
    What do ya'll think of treadmill running? The weather over here is supposed to be in the 100s alllll week meaning it'll be around 80 even early in the morning! I am seriously thinking about moving my routine inside. What do you guys think?
  • pmkelly409
    Options
    What do ya'll think of treadmill running? The weather over here is supposed to be in the 100s alllll week meaning it'll be around 80 even early in the morning! I am seriously thinking about moving my routine inside. What do you guys think?

Absolutely....Nothing wrong with it! As long as you are moving!! You did it today right? so as you know, it is a different type of run (I think it is harder on my body, but others feel just the opposite). I keep my fan in front of the treadmill, tune to a good show and run, run, run.

go for it, it is better than running in that kind of heat and getting sick.