do you like salmon??

Options
13»

Replies

• astovey
    astovey Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    BUMP!

I really would like to eat more of it. I eat Tilapia all the time, but never really liked Salmon...maybe because it isn't fresh? I currently live in Albuquerque, NM...not too many bodies of water lol.

Can't wait to see if the Air Force moves us to the coast and I get super skinny bc al I eat is seafoooood. LOVE IT. Scallops, shrimp, CRAB, anything!
  • DeBlue
    DeBlue Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Yep blackening seasoning is terrific and a wonderful way to learn to love Salmon. BTW if you knew more about Tilapia you very likely would stop eating it. It is a bottom feeding fish that looks and acts much like a carp, and is usually from a fish farm. Farmed salmon may not be much better but at least they don't live off the scum on the bottom. Wild salmon as fresh as possible. Enjoy all those great omega-3's.
  • pretentiouskate
    Options
    Growing up I HATED fish, but as an adult I'm working on eating it. I've had tilapia and salmon, and both of them are ... ok, not great. Despite being in Maine we buy all of our fish frozen as contrary to popular belief we don't all live on the coast in quaint fishing villages saying "ayup" all day.

I like to either grill or bake it with lemon pepper seasoning. Last week I made a topping out of lemon-pepper panko bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, and parsley which I pressed into the tops of the fillets ad then baked - it was pretty good!

Farmed salmon may not be much better but at least they don't live off the scum on the bottom. Wild salmon as fresh as possible. Enjoy all those great omega-3's.

... I'm not sure why the fish's natural food preferences make it somehow inferior to other types of fish.

Do you like lobster? LOL!
  • pcteck2
    pcteck2 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Salmon is my least favorite fish. My husband loves it, fishes for it, and cooks it beautifully, so I eat it.
    Tonight we had the most amazing Cod Florentine supper. We try to eat fish often, but it is expensive.
    When I eat out (not often) I aways order seafood, especially shellfish (and not fried).
  • Lanfear
    Lanfear Posts: 524
    Options
    We have salmon quite often. Like most here we tend to bake it, with salt, pepper and lemon juice, wrapped in foil.

But another way is: cover the top of your salmon fillet with Philadelphia Light soft cheese (or own brand, doesn't matter). I usually use the Garlic & Herb one. Then, get some really cheap cornflakes (the type with no real taste!), crumble them up and sprinkle them over the salmon. Wrap loosely in foil and bake in the oven for about 20 minutes. For the LAST 5 minutes of cooking, peel open the foil. This makes the topping go crispy, so you get a nice texture. It's lovely - I have introduced this to a few people who were doubtful but now make it themselves :smile:

Last night we did the salmon glazed in honey and mustard - also very very nice, served with pasta and vegetables. Yummmmmm!
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Nope. I've only had it one time that it was prepared correctly. I guess if more restaurants knew what they were doing I would enjoy it more. I haven't tried to cook it myself. I feel like if chefs screw up I wouldn't prepare it well either.
  • SoFancySoBlessed
    SoFancySoBlessed Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I love salmon!! I am from Washington State so that is what I grew up on......I like the smoked salmon (if you can find it) with some fat free cream cheese and triscuits..... when we cook it we just add some salt pepper onions and lemons in a foil wrap in the oven for about 25 minutes and it ALWAYS comes out perfect. Good luck with your salmon journey ...lol! :bigsmile:
  • SoFancySoBlessed
    SoFancySoBlessed Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    We have salmon quite often. Like most here we tend to bake it, with salt, pepper and lemon juice, wrapped in foil.

But another way is: cover the top of your salmon fillet with Philadelphia Light soft cheese (or own brand, doesn't matter). I usually use the Garlic & Herb one. Then, get some really cheap cornflakes (the type with no real taste!), crumble them up and sprinkle them over the salmon. Wrap loosely in foil and bake in the oven for about 20 minutes. For the LAST 5 minutes of cooking, peel open the foil. This makes the topping go crispy, so you get a nice texture. It's lovely - I have introduced this to a few people who were doubtful but now make it themselves :smile:

Last night we did the salmon glazed in honey and mustard - also very very nice, served with pasta and vegetables. Yummmmmm!

That sounds heavenly!!! i gotta try that one!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Fresh salmon is the best, but I usually keep a bunch of frozen steaks or fillets for quick suppers.

Pop a frozen fillet into a microwavable container, add a splash of white wine or lemon juice, a teaspoonful of capers, and a good grind of black pepper. Cover loosely and zap for about 2-3 mins (until the flesh is opaque)

Serve with a big leafy salad. Or if I'm really being "La Reine de la Micro-onde" that evening, a microwavable bag of rice/veg mix.
  • hpsaucette
    hpsaucette Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Just tried the Philadelphia Light soft cheese and salmon - was awesome! Thanks!