Weight Loss and Gain

Options
I recently lost 35 lbs. from mostly aerobic workouts and now i'm gaining it slowly back since i added some strength training to my weekly routine. I know muscle weighs more than fat but i'm still not done with what i think i need to lose in order to be happy and healthy. should i cut out the strength training for a few more weeks? I could really use some advice here...

thanks.

Replies

• kevanos
    kevanos Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    If you are maintainig a calorie deficit you will not gain weight. You can build muscle, but you will still be losing fat, and you are not going to build more muscle weight than the weight of fat you burn (if you still maintain a calorie deficit).

If you are gaining weight (hopefull by this you mean over 3-4 weeks and not 3-4 days) you are no longer in a calorie deficit. This is either becasue you are consuming too many calories or not burning enough. It is likely one of those reasons.

Did you cut out cardio to be able to do strenght training?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    No, you should be doing both, and should have been all along. Most likely it is water weight not muscle, as it is very difficult to build muscle while in a caloric deficit. Your muscles do however retain water when starting a new routine or increasing intensity. This is to protect your muscles, and to aid in recovery. Once your body gets use to the new routine your muscles will shed the excess water.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    the same thing happened to me , but have lost inches ! i still weigh my self but i don't worry to much about it , oh it did stablize after a while and go down a bit
  • babiixphat704
    Options
    Don't worry too much about the number and focus on yourself. Cause when people look at you they're not gonna see a number on your forehead but see the inches and defiance. hope this helps.
  • Dafrog
    Dafrog Posts: 353
    Options
    do both. strength train 3-5 days a week (rotating muscle groups ex: M-upper, T-Lower, Th-Full body) and do cardio atleast 4 - 6 days a week. hope things turn around for you.
  • galgon
    galgon Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone... I appreciate the help.