Am I missing something?

Options

Replies

• 8turboturtle8
    8turboturtle8 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why anyone even cares what OTHERS are doing....different strokes for different folks?

EXACTLY!!!! What others put down does not effect me and they are only accountable to themselves in the end so who am I to question what other do?
  • CallMeMamaBoo
    Options
    I dont see the problem with logging your housework as exercise,if it helps people then its a good thing.Its annoying how people just assume they are doing it in order to eat more.
    And the thing is housework IS exercise in its own way.
    If I scrubb the floors thats exercise
    if you have a large house with lots of carpet and your vacuming for 20 minutes or more a day thats exercise
    if your scrubbing the shower thats exercise

While I was doing all of that, I put on 50 lbs. My mom had 4 kids and a 6 bed room house to maintain for 30 years, she put on 150 lbs. I really doubt that approach will work for me. It might for others tho! So G'luck with that. I wish it could be that easy for me but genetics tell me otherwise.

I myself dont log any cleaning as exercise like I said.And if you put on 50 pounds it was from your eating.If you had been eating clean and healthy but no other exercise other than day to day life stuff you never would have gained the 50 pounds to begin with.
    Im sure it works for some to clean especially thoses that were sedentray before.Im sure others probobly shouldnt be recording it at all.Im not offended i never get offended.I just thought you sounded preachy

First off, you are assuming too much. You are being outrageously rude. I didn't gain 50 lbs by the foods I ate. I grew up with healthy clean eating ONLY. We couldn't afford any extras or junk. I carried those eating habits into my adult life. I gained because I had 2 kids and genetics. I even had a few years of trying out a vegan lifestyle. I'm not easily offended but I am completely offended by your assumptions. You maybe should think through the things you say before you say it. I've seen your others posts around on the forums and you seem pretty negative so maybe it would be safe to assume that you like spreading your unhappiness so that your not alone. Sorry for speaking my mind. Have a good day Miss Holier than I.
  • CallMeMamaBoo
    Options
    While this is a great discussion, all I'll say is that if someone wants to log cleaning as exercise, my house is all yours!!!

Good plan! I should post an ad.
    Headline, "FREE! Calorie burning exercise! all you have to do is clean my house for an hour!"
  • CallMeMamaBoo
    Options
    That goes for breastfeeding too!!........if u log everything u do then ur taking out the rule of burn more than what u eat!! And extra exercise wont really kill any bad food u ate! But ur diary will tell u it did!! :laugh:
    Just eat well and do real workouts:smile:

Breastfeeding requires extra calories to make milk. There is no way to add breastfeeding into your daily caloric needs unless you put it into your food or exercise log. Its not like people are saying that it is exercise.

If breastfeeding was exercise, there would be no divorces! (Sorry, my husband made me say it. LOL)
    I know someone right now with a 3 month old who is below her pre-pregnancy weight and all she does is breastfeed and log her calories and making sure she eats back what she estimates breastfeeding burns for her. It's amazing! and makes me sort of jealous. For some, breastfeeding works wonders! I wish I had started counting calories when I started breastfeeding my youngest. I am sure that I never ate enough those first few months and I bet I could have ate myself back down to a comfortable weight.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I dont see the problem with logging your housework as exercise,if it helps people then its a good thing.Its annoying how people just assume they are doing it in order to eat more.
    if you have a large house with lots of carpet and your vacuming for 20 minutes or more a day thats exercise

While I was doing all of that, I put on 50 lbs. My mom had 4 kids and a 6 bed room house to maintain for 30 years, she put on 150 lbs. I really doubt that approach will work for me. It might for others tho! So G'luck with that. I wish it could be that easy for me but genetics tell me otherwise.

I myself dont log any cleaning as exercise like I said.And if you put on 50 pounds it was from your eating.If you had been eating clean and healthy but no other exercise other than day to day life stuff you never would have gained the 50 pounds to begin with.
    Im sure it works for some to clean especially thoses that were sedentray before.Im sure others probobly shouldnt be recording it at all.Im not offended i never get offended.I just thought you sounded preachy

First off, you are assuming too much. You are being outrageously rude. I didn't gain 50 lbs by the foods I ate. I grew up with healthy clean eating ONLY. We couldn't afford any extras or junk. I carried those eating habits into my adult life. I gained because I had 2 kids and genetics. I even had a few years of trying out a vegan lifestyle. I'm not easily offended but I am completely offended by your assumptions. You maybe should think through the things you say before you say it. I've seen your others posts around on the forums and you seem pretty negative so maybe it would be safe to assume that you like spreading your unhappiness so that your not alone. Sorry for speaking my mind. Have a good day Miss Holier than I.

LMAO not intended to be rude but dosent everyone say when it comes to weight Diet is more important than exercise?I have a right to my opinion.As for me being rude I dont see how I was rude either.I am a very happy person. you were the one being preachy,so mabey being active in day to day life dosent work for you and the only thing that does is exercise?It does not mean that its the same for everyone.So who are you to put down some using cleaning as one of their tools to their weight loss?How am I negitive?How am I un happy? Lol I am very happy my life is freaking great.
    Show me a post where I am being unhappy, disagreeing with people is just disagreeing so if your offened by someone not agreeing with you then that sounds like a issue that is yours to deal with not mine.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I fully agree with the OP, and have seen a lot of very very questionable excercise adds myself such as "cooking" :huh:

You burn calories all day, during everything we do, but I sure don't sit here and add "typing response on MFP -- 5 mins -- 12 calories"... I mean seriously... :grumble:

If it something you've always done while you were fat, like doing the dishes, folding clothes, doing the laundry etc... then it won't help you lose weight now will it??

If you do what you've always done you'll only get what you've always had.

Logging stuff like that only leads to double accounting and if on top of that you then start to eat back your imaginary "exercise calories" then don't complain that your weight isn't shifting.
  • CallMeMamaBoo
    Options

LMAO not intended to be rude but dosent everyone say when it comes to weight Diet is more important than exercise?I have a right to my opinion.As for me being rude I dont see how I was rude either.I am a very happy person. you were the one being preachy,so mabey being active in day to day life dosent work for you and the only thing that does is exercise?It does not mean that its the same for everyone.So who are you to put down some using cleaning as one of their tools to their weight loss?How am I negitive?How am I un happy? Lol I am very happy my life is freaking great.
    Show me a post where I am being unhappy, disagreeing with people is just disagreeing so if your offened by someone not agreeing with you then that sounds like a issue that is yours to deal with not mine.

So then, why does it take you over 5 posts to just simply say "I disagree" ?

And then, why are you not seeing the humor in any of this like the majority of all the other posters?

And then, why are YOU taking it so seriously if you are so happy?

And then, why do you feel the need to keep telling me that I was preaching when my first post was more of a question than a preach? You sound more preachy than I.

If I wanted to preach, you would know it.

Lastly, end of discussion. I'll let your words speak for themselves.
  • FearAnLoathing
    Options

And then, why are you not seeing the humor in any of this like the majority of all the other posters?

And then, why do you feel the need to keep telling me that I was preaching when my first post was more of a question than a preach? You sound more preachy than I.

Yes I am taking it oh so seriously:laugh: im so sorry you cant handle people disagreeing with you.That really sucks.Why did it take me 5 posts because you kept responding to me.What is wrong with disscusion or debate?Do I care if I sound preachy to you...no
    should you care that you sound preachy to me....no
    all I did was disagree your the one that got so worked up over that.I found this whole thing HILARIOUS.:flowerforyou:
  • CallMeMamaBoo
    Options
    I fully agree with the OP, and have seen a lot of very very questionable excercise adds myself such as "cooking" :huh:

You burn calories all day, during everything we do, but I sure don't sit here and add "typing response on MFP -- 5 mins -- 12 calories"... I mean seriously... :grumble:

If it something you've always done while you were fat, like doing the dishes, folding clothes, doing the laundry etc... then it won't help you lose weight now will it??

If you do what you've always done you'll only get what you've always had.

Logging stuff like that only leads to double accounting and if on top of that you then start to eat back your imaginary "exercise calories" then don't complain that your weight isn't shifting.

I once seen a posting 'carrying watermelon in the house, 25 calories'....
    and then later I seen half of a large watermelon in their food diary.
    This was on another site like this one. Crazy!!!
    Some peoples way of thinking shows just how they got where they are at.
    Granted, there will always be the exceptions for certain people but over all, this thinking should stop for the people who are perfectly able.
  • CallMeMamaBoo
    Options

Yes I am taking it oh so seriously:laugh: im so sorry you cant handle people disagreeing with you.That really sucks.Why did it take me 5 posts because you kept responding to me.What is wrong with disscusion or debate?Do I care if I sound preachy to you...no
    all I did was disagree your the one that got so worked up over that.I found this whole thing HILARIOUS.:flowerforyou:

You need to go back and take notice. I wasn't worked up over anything. Your original posting was worked up.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    **DING!!**

Next round...

*gets popcorn*
  • malias
    malias Posts: 82
    Options
    Your quote - "Good plan! I should post an ad.
    Headline, "FREE! Calorie burning exercise! all you have to do is clean my house for an hour!"
    [/quote]

Wow. Your comments are condescending and flippant. At over 300 lbs, you bet your *kitten* housework is exercise. And just because someone logs it , that doesn't mean they eat those calories. For someone who hasn't been strong enough to walk around the block in years, grocery shopping or vaccuming the house is an effort that you will never understand.

Do you think those of us that DO record these things don't know what people like you think? Do you really think that we are stupid enough not to realize that if we want to lose weight, we need to be honest with ourselves? We KNOW whether or not we worked hard and if one chooses to log something that he/she did, that is their perogative. No one needs to be told that they are kidding themselves. If they are, they already know it and are doing their best to overcome it.

Simple support, encouragement and motivation is what we need. Not someone being flippant or "just making a joke" as you said earlier. Re-evaluate your comments MamaBoo. You are hurting people's feelings. JMHO.
  • Lexie71
    Lexie71 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why anyone even cares what OTHERS are doing....different strokes for different folks?

My thoughts exactly. Comments like "they just don't get it" really? Are you this person's close personal friend and so you know what their life is like and what they do and don't get or where they are in their journey?

As a race....the human one....the world would be greatly improved if we all worried more about what we are doing and less about what others are doing.
  • FearAnLoathing
    Options

You need to go back and take notice. I wasn't worked up over anything. Your original posting was worked up.

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree
  • az1cowgirl
    Options

Ok, I felt the need to weigh in (small pun) here!! For someone like myself, who is just now getting back into the swing of a healthier lifestyle, I can honestly say that house work could have been counted as a work out for me in the past. My typical M.O. was to clean in stages...vacum first, rest, dust, rest, clean one bathroom, rest, clean the second bathroom, rest, sweep the floors, rest, mop the floors, rest...do you see a pattern here?

Why did I need to rest so much? Cause I needed it. When I started getting back into better shape, I didn't need as much rest and in fact could get my routine done WAY faster. But for some of us, that exercise IS a workout. I never logged mine but I can see why some people would.

Now, from a personal (meaning me, only me, this is how I do it) perspective...my husband is deployed and therefore all the housework and yard work falls to me. I break it up into chores that I tackle one day at a time but I do not count that as exercise. Instead I make a focused effort to walk or use the elliptical or work out. Everything else is just a bonus!
  • gentlebreeze2
    gentlebreeze2 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    malais... don't let her get to you... she is just showing her ignorance. Her question... am I missing something? I'd say yeah... you're missing compassion and intellgence. Not everyone is like you, thankfully. She is judging people based her ignorance.
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    How many calories does flying burn? You know, cause I'm a Faerie and all......
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I might just set my activity level at sedentary so I can justify logging every time I do laundry downstairs and put my baby to bed upstairs.

Way to enable and justify!

Ok, now you're just being mean.

I agree. Why do you care so much?
  • neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I do not normally log cleaning as exercise, but I won't lie and say I haven't done it in the past. My idea of "cleaning", however, included hours of moving boxes and reorganizing a large garage and scrubbing a bathroom used by a 13 year old.

When I did log cleaning as exercise, I heard nothing but garbage from some of my former MFP friends (notice I said "former"), because in my opinion that was simply ignorant to judge me based on what I log as exercise. Even if I do log exercise, I don't use that number burned to add to the number I can eat. I will attempt to stay under a certain amount of calories consumed, but if I go over then so be it.

This site is here for support, not a post about what you think should be correctly logged as exercise. Having been a target of many board posts about what I am not doing/eating correctly, I am honestly amazed that you would take the time to rant about what someone else is logging as exercise. The only thing this post will do to others who DO log cleaning as exercise is make them feel worse.
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    Your quote - "Good plan! I should post an ad.

Wow. Your comments are condescending and flippant. At over 300 lbs, you bet your *kitten* housework is exercise. And just because someone logs it , that doesn't mean they eat those calories. For someone who hasn't been strong enough to walk around the block in years, grocery shopping or vaccuming the house is an effort that you will never understand.

Do you think those of us that DO record these things don't know what people like you think? Do you really think that we are stupid enough not to realize that if we want to lose weight, we need to be honest with ourselves? We KNOW whether or not we worked hard and if one chooses to log something that he/she did, that is their perogative. No one needs to be told that they are kidding themselves. If they are, they already know it and are doing their best to overcome it.

Simple support, encouragement and motivation is what we need. Not someone being flippant or "just making a joke" as you said earlier. Re-evaluate your comments MamaBoo. You are hurting people's feelings. JMHO.
    [/quote]

I don't think anyone was meaning to be rude. I think this post started as a vent and became a debate.

The issue isn't whether people should add back cleaning exercises or not. I think there are exceptions to every rule. By the time someone gets to the point that they burning a ton a calories doing house work, and it become more than just an everyday chore, it is fine to count it in moderation. Once you start adding in other exercises like walking and running etc then those household chores become just that, household chore, not exercise.

We all know that when you work out and exercise, your body addapts to that exercise, and you stop getting the same burn. You need to increase the duration or the intesity. Lets face most people aren't standing at their sink doing dishes while running in place to increase intensity. The only way to add duration is to have more people in the household, ie more kids. Maybe if you have a HUGE party, and dont' use paper plates, that means you have added duration, but then you would probably have spent the calories enjoying the party. :wink:

Everybody has their own place where they start. It is up to them to make the journey. If people are eating those calories back and not losing maybe they need to re examine. If they are eating them back and losing then it is working for them.

Best wishes everybody.
This discussion has been closed.