Question about cell phones while working out

Options
toots99
toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
I have a question: do you talk on the phone while working out? If so, how would you react if someone asked you nicely to quiet down? And I don't mean just a quick call, I'm talking long conversations, every day.

Have you ever asked someone nicely to quiet down and been snapped at?

I've asked people to quiet down before, and half of the time I get a rude response. Today I asked someone to quiet down, and he was very nice about it, even came over after his workout to apologize again saying he didn't realize he was being loud.

I know some people say "That's my only me time, or that's my social time (when they go with friends and yap away), but that's the same for me too. This is my time. I font want to listen to your chatter about your problems or your sex life or what your kids are doing. If i cam hear you over Iron Maiden on my ipod, then yes, I'll say something. This is MY me time and I wish people would be more considerate.

Replies

• CriticalX
    CriticalX Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    i would ask. its a gym. shouldnt be loud
  • splashwags
    splashwags Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Wow.... I don't think I have ever seen someone on the phone while working out at my gym. I would actually mention something to the gym, as I would say like driving, not ultimately safe.
  • efcdcdb
    efcdcdb Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I don't really work out, per se, at the gym. I take the group classes though - Total Body Workout, Zumba, that kind of thing. I have noticed, more and more, that people bring their phones into class and set them with their water bottles. I think it amuses me, more than it annoys me....like, come on! You can't go for an hour without your phone?? My gym has a pretty "user friendly" locker room so that isn't an excuse. Or just leave it in your car (in the console or glove compartment).
  • jeremymaritz
    Options
    Yeah, I agree. I think cel phone use at the gym should be toned down quite a bit. Step off the damn treadmill, go over by the mirror and take your call. If I thought it was okay to be all loud and inconsiderate, I'd bring my own boombox. :)
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I have issues with people using their cellphones @ the gym, in class, in line at the grocery store, walking around aimlessly getting in MY way @ the grocery store and happily chatting away....

I think there are a lot of people who need cell phone ettiquette lessons. I would definitely complain to the gym and explain your concerns and the possible safety issues.
  • angiesteele
    angiesteele Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I don't really work out, per se, at the gym. I take the group classes though - Total Body Workout, Zumba, that kind of thing. I have noticed, more and more, that people bring their phones into class and set them with their water bottles. I think it amuses me, more than it annoys me....like, come on! You can't go for an hour without your phone?? My gym has a pretty "user friendly" locker room so that isn't an excuse. Or just leave it in your car (in the console or glove compartment).

I notice this too! I dont take my phone anywhere near the gym. If soemone needs me they know where I am at and if not I will call them when I am done.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Silly me, but I focus on my workout rather than yap on the phone.

Anyway, is there a "no cell phone" sign in your gym? We have one in ours, but it doesn't seem to stop people. I usually just tell them it's a "no cell phone" gym and point to one of the many signs. No one has been nasty to me yet, but I have gotten a couple of dirty looks, which really blows me away since they are the ones ignoring the "no cell phone" policy.
  • Daisy374
    Daisy374 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    lol I usually can't breathe enough to carry on a conversation on the phone while working out!
    I do text and stuff sometimes, but that is quiet and doesn't bother anyone ;)

But I know what you mean. I have people at my gym that do that too. (Iron Maiden---awesome! btw) I usually just ignore them and am able to tune out people if I don't want to hear them lol
    Thankfully I go to the gym early so there are usually only like 5 people there, so enough room to spread out and not have to hear everyone!
    But it was nice of that guy to apologize to you.. Maybe you will get more like that.

Good luck on finding a solution..
  • irishgal44
    irishgal44 Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    Really? I'd feel sorry for them because they are obviously not taking their gym time to full advantage. When I get my time, I'm working my *kitten* off to the point where a phone conversation isn't even possible. And I would then go to management or switch gyms. That's crazy!
  • EZGruv
    EZGruv Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    My gym banned cell phones. :)
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options

That is funny! I would hope they're not taking calls right in the middle of Zumba class! LOL
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    I've gotten really good at tuning people out as I concentrate on my workout. I don't care if they talk on the phone or pick their noses - I figure it's their time to use as they want. If if doesn't interfere with what I'm doing, I'm fine with people using what ever device they want.
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    I want someone to call my while they're working out. Haven't had a obscene phone call in awhile. :laugh:
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    It don't bother me when ppl are on a cardio machine bull****in on the phone as long as they are not texting sittin on a bench while I am in a pissy mood wanting to use that bench and I have to do another exercise while they take up space texting for half an hour. I always have my cell phone with me and only except phone calls from my fiance when he calls me on his break. If it wasn't for him callin me I wouldn't even have my phone with me. But mostly @ my gym when ppl talk on the phone they normally take it to the bathroom or up from by the windows and talk away from everyone else. Glad my gym doesn't have alot of ignorant ppl. I always just tryn stick to myself.
  • fallenexoh
    Options
    Most gyms have a no cell phone policy while working out, I would say something to someone that works there if the person is rude about it or refuses to stop. I cant see how thats safe or polite to talk on your cell phone while working out around other people
  • FaeFae
    FaeFae Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    ours is a no cell phone gym however I still bring mine because mine is my ipod as well. I have been guilty of talking on the phone while working out but usually its a quick convo. I would never carry on a long conversation. I have been at the gym while ppl are talking to people around them or on the phone but ive never been able to hear them over my music. I cant believe they are that loud!!! Nothing wrong with telling them to take it down a notch!
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't hesitate to say something especially if you can hear it over your IPOD. :noway:

I take my phone with me because it is my source of music as well. Gotta love the Pandora app. :drinker: I might answer a text from the boyfriend since it is usually about the baby but a phone call can wait until I am done. (plus, if he is calling while I am on my ME time, I know it must be an emergency)

Anyhow, off topic...yea, I totally agree with you on saying something.

Now...how do you tactfully tell the lady singing along to her IPOD at full blast..to shut it? :grumble:
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,051 Member
    Options
    I leave my phone in the car... the other day I saw a woman with a trianer when she took out her phone... She was paying for a trainer, and not even taking advantage of it. I thought he was going to throw the phone out the door.
  • krystleRD
    krystleRD Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I would talk to gym personal and tell them to either do something about the cell phones or ill find another gym lol
  • carrieliz81
    carrieliz81 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    My gym banned cell phones. :)

Yup!! There is a no-cell-phone policy at my gym...