Couch to 5K (start 4/4/11)

Options

Replies

• spcopps
    spcopps Posts: 283
    Options
    I just completed my week 2 day 1. Went much better than I thought but I am assuming it was because it is only 75 here today with 35% humidity..so great day for a run! Looking forward to day week 2 day 2 on Friday (weather permitting).
  • dodier01
    dodier01 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I have graduated from week 2!!! And now i really cant wait to start week 3!! I really feel confident that I will be able to keep up since my last run I did really well!! For my last run i actually went for 5 min! I did 3 min at 5.2 and the other 2 min at 4.5. The treadmill actually decreased by itself since it had already been 30 min so it puts itself in semi cool down mode... I never thought i'd be this excited!!!
  • Cutiger81
    Cutiger81 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I just started mu program on monday and I'm so happy. I finished my 2nd work out of week one and feel good. I a little soreness in my back but I attribute that to just starting out. Please feel free to respond with tips and any progress in the form of weight loss
  • EllyK09
    EllyK09 Posts: 75
    Options
    I am stuck on week 5 day 3. That 20 minute run is killing me...yesterday I made it 15 minutes jogging/running and the last 5 I ended up walking fast. Just being able to run 15 minutes straight is amazing to me so I think I'm going to move on to week 6 and hope for the best! Anyone else in week 5 or 6?

For those just starting I could barely run for a minute and half when I started so keep it up!
  • karen1612
    karen1612 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi, this sounds really good but I'm wondering which app for smart phone you are referring to that lets you know when to walk and run. Thanks :)
  • spcopps
    Options
    Hi, this sounds really good but I'm wondering which app for smart phone you are referring to that lets you know when to walk and run. Thanks :)

I don't use my droid phone but instead use my ipod..here is the link I got mine from
    http://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/couch-5K-running-plan.aspx
  • ALW65
    ALW65 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    How's everyone doing? The posts are dropping off :frown:

I just did my fourth day of W1. I felt like I was struggling the most versus the first 3 days, but when I got done I realized my run time was anywhere from 30-60 seconds faster than the other days, and I'd shave a minute off the walk times. I didn't know I was going any faster, but apparently my body must be getting used to this and trying to pick up the pace. Has anyone else noticed this? I wasn't feeling particularly energetic today, so I'm not sure how it happened.

Hope you all are progressing along nicely!
  • pvesey
    pvesey Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I needed to hear this!!!
  • LovelySnugs
    LovelySnugs Posts: 389
    Options
    forgot to post that i did w2d2 with the podcast yesterday. it was harder than w2d1 for some reason. i haven't let my body have a rest day in like three weeks (not even when my good friends were in town last weekend; i ended up getting up extra early and working out while they slept in so i wouldn't have to miss out on any of the visiting), and i think it's getting to my body. i could barely make it up and down the stairs today, so i decided i'm not gonna work out at all today - not even a dvd, which is what i usually do on my "rest days".

all of that, just to let everyone know that i'll be back on the treadmill doing my 90 on/3min off modifier, and i will complete w2d3 on saturday.

everyone that's still in it: way to go! you're doing great! keep pushing - we CAN get through this. and we WILL!
    and those of you who are just joining us: welcome! it's great to have you. feel free to ask whatever questions you have that aren't already asked and answered in the thread.
  • Cutiger81
    Options
    I Just finished my first week and I stopped running for about 24 seconds and walked once when I was suppose to run. My lower back started to hurt. I powered through it and keep with the run. I run on alternating terrain through my neighborhood. My question is should I do week one over or move on to week two. I struggle more on my last day than I did the other two days. I also did day two and three in consecutive days without a break. What are your thoughts?
  • Eviesmum
    Eviesmum Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Hi Cutiger81, if you did 2 days together then that may be why you struggled a bit with the last run.

I'd leave it a day to give your back a rest then do day 3 again and see how you get on, if it's still a struggle then do another 2 runs with a day break in between each (technically then repeating week 1). Hope it goes ok for you.

Just finished week 7 which was 3 miles for me exactly. Very pleased.
  • louiseei
    louiseei Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Did W2 D3 yesterday, with my 7YO. She got a stitch so wants to do that one again before moving on to W3, so maybe we'll have another go at W2 tomorrow.
  • spcopps
    Options
    URGG My week 2 day 2 will have to wait until tomorrow. We are under tonarda watches/warnings from 10AM until midnight tonight..O I hate having to wait!
  • Cutiger81
    Options
    Hi Eviesmum ,

Thanks for the advice. Did you lose that weight as a result of c25k or are you doing something else? I will my run again tomorrow and then see where I'm at from that point.
  • BroDave
    BroDave Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I finished week 2 this morning :happy: and I am looking forward to week 3 on Monday
  • Eviesmum
    Eviesmum Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Hi Eviesmum ,

Thanks for the advice. Did you lose that weight as a result of c25k or are you doing something else? I will my run again tomorrow and then see where I'm at from that point.

Good luck with it.

I'm doing something called the Dukan dient so I've cut out sweets, crisps, fruits and most carbs until the end of April to try and get to target. It's working ok for me at the moment. I started running to try and get fit and tone up. C25K has been brilliant.
  • Cutiger81
    Options
    I just completed W2D1 and feel great. My shins are a little sore but I attribute that to needing better running shoes. I feel that i'm huffing and puffing in the middle of the run. Is there some sort of breathing technique to distance running.?
  • ALW65
    ALW65 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Hi All!

Louiseei - I'm feeling for your daughter. It seems I used to get a stich whenever I ran as a kid, but I haven't had any since starting this. I was worried that I might. Has anyone had trouble with getting a stich as they move along in the program?

spcopps - I hope the tornados all stayed away. We've just had rain here in the Cleveland area, but the sun just came out- YEAH!

Cutiger81 - I'm glad you had a better run this time. I agree with you about the shoes. I've always had trouble with shin splints even if I walk too long in a mall or something. I went and got fitted for some really good running shoes before I started and I haven't had any problems with shin splints. I figured it was worth the money, and would be a reason I had to get out there and run (hate to waste the $$$)

BroDave - Congrats on making it through week 2! I hope week 3 goes great for you!

I'm headed out to do my 5th run this week of W1, and tomorrow I'll be starting W2. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Anita
  • Cutiger81
    Options
    If I can do it you can. I started at 304 and I'm down to 295 I may have lost more weight but I haven't weighed myself. Stay motivated and you will do great.
  • spcopps
    Options
    Just finished my week 2 day 2 since I didn't get to do it yesterday due to the weather. It went good and I finished all my jogs and wasn't as out of breath as usual so something must be working LOL. I am still slow at only 1.68 miles for the entire time BUT I am doing it and will worry about speed later!

@ Cutiger81..as for breathing they say to inhale through your nose and exhale through your mouth. The program I have says to inhale for 4 then exhale for 4. I have major sinus congestion all the time so I am huffing and puffing through my mouth but if I try to stay with the 4 count I seem to be LESS breathless!