Running questions

Options
2»

Replies

• my3kidos
    my3kidos Posts: 19
    Options
    I notice that as my longer runs get longer my shorter runs get easier and my times get faster. Hal Hidgon has some great (free) training plans on his site- I did the one to improve your 5k speed a while back and ended up shaving almost 6 mins off my overall 5k time. I find the best thing when I am trying to improve is to follow some type of training plan.
  • LMac423
    LMac423 Posts: 82
    Options
    You can definitely focus on speed and distance at once, per say...but not at exactly the same time. Try 1 run a week as a speed workout...intervals, mile repeats, fartleks (you can google these it'll explain it better than I can) are some great ways to work on speed. You can also make 1 run a week your long run, only increasing this every other week by a half a mile or so. You can't do these on the same day, though.

Good luck, message me if you have more questions!
  • my3kidos
    my3kidos Posts: 19
    Options
    Here is the one I did:

http://www.halhigdon.com/5K Training/5-Kinter.htm

I did tweak it and kept my long run a little shorter though.
  • ecp2698
    ecp2698 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I focus more on improving my time doing the same distance, then once I feel like that has improved, try out longer distances. If I have a race coming up, I will try to do shorter distances (2-3 miles) at a faster pace. If I want to burn more calories and just for fitness, I will do 4-5 miles, and not focus on going as fast, if that makes sense.

I also do interval training sometimes, and I will do sprints at the end of my run. I think it really helps to give myself a better kick at the end of a race.

I agree, I think you will be surprised to see how quickly you can improve at it. I am very proud of you for venturing into running, though, no matter what! :)
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Generally, running 2 times a week will maintain your current fitness level, but will not improve it. In my experience, the best plan is four or five times a week. As a new runner, if you increase your running like that you will improve no matter what kind of running you do.

Thanks. I figure 2x/week to start is better than 0, and since Boston weather's so cold still (low 30's when I went out this morning), I'd bump up to 3x/week when the weather starts staying above 40 degrees. We're also expecting 6-12 inches of snow later this week, which I hope melts fast, since I don't have access to a treadmill.

Curious to see everyone's answer to this as well... as far as this Boston weather... SNOW NEEDS TO STOP!!! It's almost april... you'd think it'd be warmer. I found a great loop outside near my apartment... but I can't do it when it's too cold :(

This is a myth! You CAN run when it's cold outside, you just don't want to! I ran at 4am when it was -12 in January. Just bundle up, once you get going you can't even tell! Plus it makes you a badass, which just rocks over all!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Generally, running 2 times a week will maintain your current fitness level, but will not improve it. In my experience, the best plan is four or five times a week. As a new runner, if you increase your running like that you will improve no matter what kind of running you do.

Thanks. I figure 2x/week to start is better than 0, and since Boston weather's so cold still (low 30's when I went out this morning), I'd bump up to 3x/week when the weather starts staying above 40 degrees. We're also expecting 6-12 inches of snow later this week, which I hope melts fast, since I don't have access to a treadmill.

Curious to see everyone's answer to this as well... as far as this Boston weather... SNOW NEEDS TO STOP!!! It's almost april... you'd think it'd be warmer. I found a great loop outside near my apartment... but I can't do it when it's too cold :(

This is a myth! You CAN run when it's cold outside, you just don't want to! I ran at 4am when it was -12 in January. Just bundle up, once you get going you can't even tell! Plus it makes you a badass, which just rocks over all!
    I used to run in Alaska down to about 20 below zero. I was in the Army and didn't have any choice, but as long as you wear the right clothes, cold is not an obstacle.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options

I used to run in Alaska down to about 20 below zero. I was in the Army and didn't have any choice, but as long as you wear the right clothes, cold is not an obstacle.

I will vouch for that... I live in Winnipeg. I was running this winter when it was -25 celcius. Did the Resolution Run, the temperature was close to -40 celsius with the windchill. I'm starting to get feeling back in my extremities. ;)
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I know that in theory I COULD run when it's below freezing, but I admit, I choose not to. Especially when there's snow & ice on the ground, which is the better part of winter here.
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    When I started I focused first on being able to cover 3.14 miles. This is a little further than a 5K, but I wanted to cover that distance because: I no longer eat pie, I run it.....Get it....A math and a baking joke! LOL.

Once I could rather easily cover that distance I started worrying about my over all time. I think that shoting for it being a 12 minute mile is a fabulous think to shot for.

Running is such fun. I love it. I have quickly become addicted.
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    When I started I focused first on being able to cover 3.14 miles. This is a little further than a 5K, but I wanted to cover that distance because: I no longer eat pie, I run it.....Get it....A math and a baking joke! LOL.

Once I could rather easily cover that distance I started worrying about my over all time. I think that shoting for it being a 12 minute mile is a fabulous think to shot for.

Running is such fun. I love it. I have quickly become addicted.

I love it! Trading eating pie for running pi! :)