A question for heavier men about calorie intake-from a lovin

Options
So hubby and I have decided we are going to lose weight after having our first child. We joined the gym mid February and I am about 10lbs away from my goal weight but hubby is struggling to drop the weight despite exercising 5 days a week and eating right.

This is my question? My hubby is 5'8 and 259lbs so on the heavier side (although I personally like bigger men :wink: ) Can any of you guys on here share with me your caloric intake for the day that you successfully lost weight at a healthy but consistent pace. Hubby is starting to get discouraged and I really am very proud of him but the weight is not coming off like we anticipated for him.

I think the hardest part is that I have set my daily intake for 1200 calories and I know that is way too low for him but we both generally eat the same way. Plus at the gym he is burning 500+ calories. I think he is alloted 1900 plus those 500+. We need lots of hope and experience. The doctor wants him to get to 165lbs and suggested Gastic Bypass or lapband but we have chosen not to take that route.

Thank ya'll for reading this and for your suggestions and input!!!:smooched:

Replies

• cghiggins518
    cghiggins518 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    i lost 60 pounds with a target calorie intake of 1800 calories a day. regardless of what exersices i did. i tried to work out 6 days a week for at least a half hour. every person is different though. he just has to find his fit. it can be done and with your support it will happen. good luck.
  • Akaratel
    Akaratel Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I do know, he should probably be eating two servings! I am not a man, but he should eat 2000 calories probably and then eat back the calories he exercised.

Edited to add that if he eats to little, the body will start eating away at his muscle calories and therefore cannot burn any fat because his muscles are diminishing.
  • 340dart
    340dart Posts: 4
    Options
    I started on here at 6'3" and 301 pounds less then a year ago and am now at 234 following the guided plan offered by this site. I only modified it in Feburary to follow the percentage recomendations of the P90X program but only for a short time. I would suggest an HRM to give a good estimate of calories burned with excercise, make sure and include weight training, and leave a few left over calories for portion errors or HRM errors.

That is what worked for me, but as has been stated many times everyone is different.
  • ncahill77
    ncahill77 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I weighed 303 in August of 2009 and am down to 253 and most of that has been in the last 6 months while on the diet below.

Personally for me, cutting way down on my carbs has helped, I try to eat around 2,000 calories most days regardless of working out or not. Ideally my diet is:

- lean meats - nothing fried
    - raw or steamed vegetables
    - plenty of fruit
    - minimal bread - only 100% whole grains
    - lots of water
    - stay away from ranch dressing
    - and make sure you have a cheat day from time to time
  • paul87920
    paul87920 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Is he perhaps gaining muscle mass? My suggestion would be to find someone to have a consultation with. They individualize a plan for him with nutrition and exercise that would be beneficial to his goals.
  • SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    1st off - good for you guys trying to do it without surgery. Kind of depressing to hear the doctor suggested that instead of what you're doing (eating right and exercise). I wasn't quite that big, but I'm 5'8" and started my journey ~235-240.

I started ~1600 calories a day (trying to eat whole grains and lean protein as often as possible), and making sure I ate at LEAST 3 meals a day. Having fruits (like bananas) for a snack helped. My workouts were only ~300 calories burned when I started (no endurance), and I usually ate some but not all of them back. I would really suggest he focus more on cardio more than strength training. Lifting and other things are great (and by no means stop them completely!), but there is no substitute for cardio - and at the beginning of your (or his) weight journey, that may be the best thing.

Hope this helps.

**EDIT - a doctor could be male/female, i took out "he" - sorry!
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    He could be eating too few calories. I think the cutoff for men is 1600 (1200 for women). Have him contact Stroutman81. He is a member here.

Click on the link "Relatively Light and Trying to get leaner". Stroutman81 is the original poster. He can send the guy a personal message (doesn't have to friend him). He can give his stats and his goals and Stroutman81 will give him a plan.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/172515-frantic-about-adhering-to-the-right-calorie-intake-read-t

(This also belongs to him). Your hubby might even be able to figure it out. This one includes math and calculations that could give him a good calorie goal.

And I'm glad you not going with surgery. You lose weight but it does really bad things to your body and hormones and such. Those hormones are very very important.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Watch the movie Fat Head (available on Netflix and Hulu) and his life could change dramatically. I can't tell you how many people go on the movie maker's website who were just like your husband who have finally been able to lose weight. I am a mechanical engineer and not taken in by diet bs easily, but even if I am an idiot, the worst thing that could happen from you watching the movie is losing a couple hours of your time. I implore you, for your husbands sake, to watch it.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,526 Member
    Options
    How did you get hubby to join in without hurting his feelings? I've now lost 40+ pounds and feel great. Although I think my man is sexy just like he is, I know he would feel much better and be healthier if he was carrying less gut around! (He has chronic back pain, and I know the tummy contributes). But anytime I suggest exercising he always has an excuse. I don't think he sees that he could lose a little, since he rarely weighs, or even worries about it. So how did you get your man motivated?
  • Bridgetc140
    Bridgetc140 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Well, he definitely needs to be eating more than 1200 calories per day. My husband is of similar stats and we try to keep him at 1800 net. Good luck on your journey.
  • SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Looks like people are saying ~1800-2k calories a day. But I also wanted to add that he should have a good "balance" of foods - is he watching fat, sodium, and sugar?
  • patattheshire
    patattheshire Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    well i can tell you from my experience i worked out at gym hard 5-6 days a week and could not drop wt even though i would literally be drenched with sweat and other gym members would comment to me how hard i was working some was change over to muscle but i could not drop wt,frustrated and after knee surgery my wife and i have started biggest loser program i am in my 11 week on the 12 week program and am down 30 lbs or so I am 5'9" started at 267 feel good i don't know if the program changed me or learning to eat at least 1600-1700 cals daily,thought I would throw out there find something you both enjoy it will happen
    good luck
    pat
  • pretentiouskate
    Options
    First of all, way to go not to take the gastric bypass - not as a slight to any who HAS had the procedure, but its a serious surgery that changes your body permanently - I'm really impressed that he decided to do it the "old fashioned" way!

That being said, the only guy I watch eat is my boyfriend, so let me explain him and maybe that will give you guys some ideas. He's 6'1, 208 lbs, not actively seeking to lose weight but he's dropped something like 20 - 25 pounds since September. He works out 3 - 5 times a week doing military style work outs (he does army physical training 3 mornings a week through his ROTC program, and does supplemental PT two nights a week). He generally eats what I'm eating plus a serving. So if I'm eating a cup of pasta with sauce and meat, plus a salad, he'll eat two cups of the pasta, plus a salad, plus a fruit about an hour after dinner. He DOES eat quite a bit in the mornings after he works out - usually an eggwhite scramble (tons of veggies, two - four servings of eggwhites, cheese, and some sort of meat), PLUS a waffle or pancake.

The important thing, I think, is to make sure your husband is eating enough! If he's eating with you and eating the same portions he's not getting the amount of calories he needs.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I am 5'11 and 234. My Caloric intake without working out is in the range of 2300... I'm considered active. That still allows me to lose 1.5 lbs per week.

Check his diet for carbs, fats and sodium and also make sure he is drinking more that 8 cups of water a day.

If he wants, he can Friend me and I'll look at his Diary and see what I can suggest.
  • ParkersMomma2010
    ParkersMomma2010 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Wow thank you to everyone who responded! I will sit down with my husband tonight and we will review these posts together. I was highly considering sending him to a nutritionist that could also lay out a plan for him. I know what makes me lose weight but its obviously a complete different ballgame for him.

Again I am so proud that he rejected the doctor's offer for weight loss surgery and with everyone's comments we maybe able to hit the nail on the head on how to help him.

Congrats to everyone on their weight loss success!!!!
  • ParkersMomma2010
    Options
    I weighed 303 in August of 2009 and am down to 253 and most of that has been in the last 6 months while on the diet below.

Personally for me, cutting way down on my carbs has helped, I try to eat around 2,000 calories most days regardless of working out or not. Ideally my diet is:

- lean meats - nothing fried
    - raw or steamed vegetables
    - plenty of fruit
    - minimal bread - only 100% whole grains
    - lots of water
    - stay away from ranch dressing
    - and make sure you have a cheat day from time to time

Oh no stay away from the ranch dressing lol. That is one of my struggles. Even the light ranch tacks on the calories so fast. Thank you for giving me a sense of your diet and congrats on your weight loss!
  • ParkersMomma2010
    Options
    Is he perhaps gaining muscle mass? My suggestion would be to find someone to have a consultation with. They individualize a plan for him with nutrition and exercise that would be beneficial to his goals.

Yes I should have added in the original post that you can tell he has added muscle mass :) He does a great amount of cardio on the elliptical but ofcourse has to do the weights too lol. If we can not find a good routine for him I am going to seek out a nutritionist before his motivation is lost. Thanks for your input!
  • ParkersMomma2010
    Options
    He could be eating too few calories. I think the cutoff for men is 1600 (1200 for women). Have him contact Stroutman81. He is a member here.

Click on the link "Relatively Light and Trying to get leaner". Stroutman81 is the original poster. He can send the guy a personal message (doesn't have to friend him). He can give his stats and his goals and Stroutman81 will give him a plan.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/172515-frantic-about-adhering-to-the-right-calorie-intake-read-t

(This also belongs to him). Your hubby might even be able to figure it out. This one includes math and calculations that could give him a good calorie goal.

And I'm glad you not going with surgery. You lose weight but it does really bad things to your body and hormones and such. Those hormones are very very important.

Wow thank you for the information. I will look up Stroutman81. It really is amazing the support that the members of MFP offer.
  • ParkersMomma2010
    Options
    How did you get hubby to join in without hurting his feelings? I've now lost 40+ pounds and feel great. Although I think my man is sexy just like he is, I know he would feel much better and be healthier if he was carrying less gut around! (He has chronic back pain, and I know the tummy contributes). But anytime I suggest exercising he always has an excuse. I don't think he sees that he could lose a little, since he rarely weighs, or even worries about it. So how did you get your man motivated?

Well maybe I have been fortunate in the aspect if you consider it fortunate that he has always known he was overweight. His doctor (the one who suggested surgery) has been drilling it in him that he must lose weight because he inherited high bp, high cholesterol and prediabetes. Most of that can go away with weight loss. I could only suggest possibly getting your man to get a health check up and hope the doctor suggests it. Maybe sit down and have a heart to heart with him. My hubs knows that I love him just the way he is and I really do but that I plan to spend a long life with him and our children. For that he has to be healthy. Good luck!
  • rmseverson
    Options
    A reply from my husband: I read all the replies to your question, and the most important thing to tell your husband is that everyone is different and he needs to find what is right for his body! Some of what people wrote here is right for them, but they try to generalize it to every man, which is not appropriate. This web site does not even do that! For instance, when everyone submits their information to set up their profile, the site asks for their age, gender, weight, height, activity level, and weight loss goal. This is what is used to determine the Calorie limit, not gender alone. When I first signed up, my Calorie limit was 1480 per day (at Sedentary). After losing 12 pounds in 2 weeks, the web site suggested updating my profile, which I did, and changed my activity level to Lightly Active. Now my Calorie limit is 1570. During the first part of my weight loss journey, I tried to keep my Calories between 1200 and 1450 per day. Now I am exercising more (because I can handle more cardio with an increasing fitness level), so I am keeping my Calories between 1280 and 1530. So far I have lost 21.4 pounds and 10.5 inches in 4 weeks. For food, I am relying on food choices recommended by a dietician I saw several years ago who gave me the guidelines for a diabetic/hypoglycemic diet. I also track everything I eat. Some tips: Salad Dressing is a killer - I just have it served on the side, dip my fork tips in it for each bite, and the Calories are miniscule (usually 2 or less per meal). Desserts - I only have a bite, or a very small serving, or have an alternative, such as a cup of coffee with Equal and 2 creamers (total=60 Calories). Also, I am working with a trainer right now who has been helping to guide me with suggestions for appropriate exercises that can help me reach my goals. Hope this helps some. Good luck!