Team UK & Ireland - April 2011

Options

Replies

• emlov81
    emlov81 Posts: 128
    Options
    Hi all,

Had a bad weekend MFP wise....but a great weekend socially!!!:bigsmile: It is fun to fall of the wagon a little:embarassed:

Trying to get back on track with the food log and exercise!!

Hope everyone enjoyed the sunny sunny weather!!!

Em
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    China is a holiday. Costa Rica(the week after) is work.. and I WILL be logging!!!
  • sundream
    sundream Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    China, Lanzarote, Costa Rica, I'm very jealous, and stuck at home :-(

Hope you all have a great time, I was In Lanzarote this time last year, gorgeous, volcanic, great windsurfing and flying, wish I was there.

It's not too difficult to steer clear of the fast food joints as Tapas are really good, and plenty of hills (volcanos) to walk up.

Enjoy,

David
  • LM_105
    LM_105 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    bump
  • fimm
    fimm Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your travels, everybody!
  • lesley1981
    lesley1981 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Good morning all :happy:

Apologies for my absense of late! I've been a very busy lady!

Firstly, well done to everyone on any weight losses over the last week! And secondly, I'm so jealous of everyone who's going away, but I hope you all have a fab time!

Well things are really beginning to look up for me!! We got our applications in for the house, and got word back yesterday... so now all we're waiting on is a date to move! Also, I had an aptitude test for a job last week, and I really thought I'd stuffed it up, but it turns out I didn't!! I have an interview for the job in a couple of weeks.... so I guess I need a new suit :happy:

I had yet another bad weekend! It was a friends birthday, so there was the obligatory meal (with chocolate cake), and then there was the all you can eat chinese on Sunday! I've been back on track since Monday, and the damage has been undone thankfully, but I'm really going to have to stop my weekend binges!!

I'm hoping that moving away from home gives my weightloss a bit of a kick...
  • sundream
    sundream Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi Lesley,

good to meet you (vitually)

Good luck with the job, and the move, and don't you just hate it when you have a good excuse to shop for a new outfit :-)
  • lrns88
    lrns88 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Morning all,

This week has been a good week! First in quite a few weeks really food wise. Really let things slip over the past few weeks - stress at work, being poorly, then being away with work. Didn't fall into massively bad habits, but still wasn't great.

On Monday I started this new plan all about natural eating - so basically I've cut out white carbs, dairy products, and caffeine (not that I drink much anyway), and I have to say I'm feeling amazing! Along with a new gym workout with lots of heavy weights, I'm finally back into my stride and enjoying it again. Plus, I'm 7lbs away from being in the 10 stone area, and I know I can reach it, just maybe not by the date I wanted to. All about Positive Mental Attitude my friends!

This weekend I'm in Cambridge for a friends wedding, so definitely going to be over the calories today and tomorrow, but as long as it's not by a crazy amount tonight, and I get right back on it tomorrow, I know I'll be fine :)

Hope you've all had a great week, and an even better weekend!

xxx
  • Mairgheal
    Mairgheal Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Morning All!

Mikey, safe flight, enjoy yourself!

Sounds like you have a lovely weekend ahead of you, Irns, have fun! Sounds tough enough, your new diet! I don't think I could give up caffeine, dairy and carbs - although I've switched pasta and rice to wholemeal now.

All good news for you as well Lesley, that's great to hear! Hope you get a date soon!

Everything good here too. Had a 2 lb loss this morning, which I'm delighted about. I'm moving quite slowly the last month, so it was good to see a proper loss this morning. Started the "30 day shred" this week as well, which I really enjoy (and it probably helped with the weight loss as well). I'm getting seriously close to my goal now (10 stone), only about 3.5 lbs to go. I'm at the lowest weight ever already and it's just such a great feeling. Never thought I'd get there with the help of a silly phone App!

We're off to Wexford (south-east Ireland) this evening for the weekend, to relatives who live right at the beach, so fingers crossed the weather will be good and our little girls can play their little hearts out all day!

Have a lovely weekend everyone!
  • ValerieSW
    ValerieSW Posts: 32
    Options
    Hi all,

My husband Craig (CraigIW) and I just joined this week, and started our diet on Monday. We live in North Ayrshire, in Scotland. We've both lost nearly 2kg already! It all started about 2 weeks ago when Craig handed me a Reader's Digest and said 'I don't think you've read this one yet'. It was January's RD and he was right, I hadn't read it yet. In it was an article about something caled the 'Alternate Day Diet'. With this diet you eat normally one day, then the next day you eat a lot less, calorie wise. So far we are eating about half our calories on our 'down' days. On the up days, we are eating as close as we can to our full allowance of calories. We have both lost a pound every day! I'm loving this diet because I'm not telling myself 'I can't eat that', I just say to myself 'I can have that tomorrow' if I'm craving something on a down day. I ended up buying a book about this diet (yay Kindle app) and it's got some great recipes in it for yummy low-cal foods.

We made a menu for this week and have been sticking to it, which is helping a lot. The hardest part is trying not to eat too late into the day. I started a new schedule at work on Monday, I'm working a condensed work-week so I can have Fridays off. I don't get out of work until 6pm and we both work in Glasgow so it's 30-45 mins before we get home. By the time we've made dinner and sit down to eat, it's well after 7. We got around that yesterday by preparing a lamb stew in the slow-cooker and plugged it into a timer so that it would turn on at 9:30 and cook on low all day. Wonderful smells in the house when we got home last night :o). Funny thing was, yesterday was an UP day and the lamb stew actually turned out to be pretty low-cal so we're having it for our lunch today - 'Soup' was on the menu anyway!

We love MFP because it makes it so easy to keep track of our calories. We both have Android phones so even when we're not at home we can easily keep track of everything.

Ok, off to get something done with my first Friday off!

Valerie
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    China is a holiday. Costa Rica(the week after) is work.. and I WILL be logging!!!

Travelled Costa Rica a few years back (alongside Cuba, Columbia etc)... I used to backpack a lot. Lovely lovely country. Hope you get to see some of it despite you being there for work. :flowerforyou:
  • Mairgheal
    Mairgheal Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Hey Backinthenines, how are you doing lately? Your life settled down a bit?

Valerie, welcome. I think it's called zigzagging, when you vary your calories every day, I've read about it on some threads here. You're both doing great on it! And the stew sounds delish!
  • 65kar52
    65kar52 Posts: 23
    Options
    Morning all,

This week has been a good week! First in quite a few weeks really food wise. Really let things slip over the past few weeks - stress at work, being poorly, then being away with work. Didn't fall into massively bad habits, but still wasn't great.

On Monday I started this new plan all about natural eating - so basically I've cut out white carbs, dairy products, and caffeine (not that I drink much anyway), and I have to say I'm feeling amazing! Along with a new gym workout with lots of heavy weights, I'm finally back into my stride and enjoying it again. Plus, I'm 7lbs away from being in the 10 stone area, and I know I can reach it, just maybe not by the date I wanted to. All about Positive Mental Attitude my friends!

This weekend I'm in Cambridge for a friends wedding, so definitely going to be over the calories today and tomorrow, but as long as it's not by a crazy amount tonight, and I get right back on it tomorrow, I know I'll be fine :)

xxx

What's the natural eating "diet" - is there a website / book I could take a look at?
  • saligator
    saligator Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    hello from SUNNY Dubliin!!

Can u believe it?! mayb the nice weather is nature's way of helping us feel better about the recession??

trying really hard to get skinny for my 30th on May 21st! Jus conpleted the Great Ireland Run 10k on Sunday, registered for mini marathon in July and Achill Half Marathon in July! Also, goin on Achil Walks Festival on May bank hol wknd - loads to keep me focused and motivated!

love this thread!

happy april everyone!
  • lrns88
    Options
    Morning all,

xxx

What's the natural eating "diet" - is there a website / book I could take a look at?

I found it by following Mary Raynsford on twitter (@MarkPT) and he has an online forum (http://markraynsford.ning.com/). The basic plan is to "reset your diet" (queue lots of comments on that!!!) by cutting out dairy, white carbs, alcohol, fizzy drinks, chocolate, etc and just eating natural stuff! So fruit, veg, porridge, soya or oat milk, meat, potatoes, and natural bars like EAT bars and Nakd bars. Really basic stuff to be honest. I have the plan saved in my emails if you'd like me to email you a copy - just message me your email addie!

Don't get me wrong, I will go back to dairy (and alcohol!!), but I think it's just really common sense and has a fantastic attitude to food.

xx
  • yvonnej1
    yvonnej1 Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Morning all,

xxx

I found it by following Mary Raynsford on twitter (@MarkPT) and he has an online forum (http://markraynsford.ning.com/). The basic plan is to "reset your diet" (queue lots of comments on that!!!) by cutting out dairy, white carbs, alcohol, fizzy drinks, chocolate, etc and just eating natural stuff! So fruit, veg, porridge, soya or oat milk, meat, potatoes, and natural bars like EAT bars and Nakd bars. Really basic stuff to be honest. I have the plan saved in my emails if you'd like me to email you a copy - just message me your email addie!

Don't get me wrong, I will go back to dairy (and alcohol!!), but I think it's just really common sense and has a fantastic attitude to food.

xx

Sounds like pretty much how I changed my eating last year, although I never cut out dairy. What is the reasoning for cutting out dairy? I thought it was a good source of calcium and being a soft southerner I wouldn't fancy my porridge without milk! I think it's great to tighten up on what you are eating to get back on track, It's something I've had to do from time to time and probably should do again. It's so easy to slide back towards old eating habits almost without realising it.
    I love lifting heavy weights too, I find it makes me feel great, I enjoy feeling strong if that makes sense.

Keep up the good work, you'll reach your weight goal in no time :happy:
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I'm back after almost 2 months away. We had a great trip to Australia/wedding then a fab honeymoon in Fiji and New York. I never log anyway so I didn't but I was pretty good in Australia then not so good on the honeymoon but it's once in a lifetime (hopefully), right? Besides, Fiji had the best fresh seafood I had ever had and with cocktails at equivalent 3 pounds, who can say no? And well, when it comes to eating out in the states, healthy isn't really an option haha! We were very active though - pretty much half of each day swimming in Fiji and huge amounts of walking in New York.

Sounds like a lot has been happening here.

Lesley - congrats on your house and your step forward, I hope everything goes exactly as planned :)
    Backinthenines - sorry to hear about your relationship, I hope you are feeling better now. Did you get your dog? What kind? (or what kind are you thinking?)
    Mike - China sounds very exciting, hope you have a fab time out there

Unfortunately, now that I'm back I'm very ill (it was absolutely freezing in New York!) so just trying to rest but failing miserably. Hoping this cold won't go on too much longer.

Take care everyone xo
  • lrns88
    Options
    Morning all,

xxx

xx

Sounds like pretty much how I changed my eating last year, although I never cut out dairy. What is the reasoning for cutting out dairy? I thought it was a good source of calcium and being a soft southerner I wouldn't fancy my porridge without milk! I think it's great to tighten up on what you are eating to get back on track, It's something I've had to do from time to time and probably should do again. It's so easy to slide back towards old eating habits almost without realising it.
    I love lifting heavy weights too, I find it makes me feel great, I enjoy feeling strong if that makes sense.

Keep up the good work, you'll reach your weight goal in no time :happy:

Thanks hun :)

I've switched to soya milk rather than dairy - higher amount of protein. So thankfully I don't have to suffer watery porridge!! Started on protein shakes after workouts too - hopefully it'll mean my muscles get into a bit better shape as at the moment I am in serious pain after the gym yesterday!

xxx
  • yvonnej1
    yvonnej1 Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Just realised I'd forgotten to proudly announce that I've reached one of the goals I set when we were talking about yearly goals back on the January thread. Yesterday I managed 5 unassisted pull ups :happy: . My other goal was to improve my bench press, not made stunning progress with that yet, but am lifting 2.5kg heavier which is in the right direction.
  • lrns88
    Options
    Just realised I'd forgotten to proudly announce that I've reached one of the goals I set when we were talking about yearly goals back on the January thread. Yesterday I managed 5 unassisted pull ups :happy: . My other goal was to improve my bench press, not made stunning progress with that yet, but am lifting 2.5kg heavier which is in the right direction.

That's amazing!!! Fantastic with the unassisted pull ups - I get halfway up and then kinda get stuck!! You must be very proud, and all heading in the right way :)

xxx