Intimidated about taking a class

Options
2»

Replies

• etarre
    etarre Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    One of the non-intimidating things about the gym is that no one goes there to look good...everyone is sweaty and tired. Just remember that...

I love spin, but it is HARD so just wanted to add that another good class option might be mat pilates. Most of class, you're lying down and focusing on yourself and the basic moves are pretty simple. Plus, it's a great way to start getting connected with yoru body and gently convincing your muscles to work for you.
  • ginalhorst
    Options
    I go to really hard classes and never am anything but inspired and excited when someone new comes and usually they are very new and very out of shape. I never feel anything but proud of them. I promise you that's what you'll get when you go to a class as a newbie. Do it! You'll be amazed at how no one thinks poorly of you- in fact the total opposite. I have seen people transform from unfit to in shape right before my eyes. I love it! Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • Mayor_West
    Mayor_West Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Ask yourself which is GREATER- your desire to succeed and meet your goals or your desire to avoid embarrassment? Going into an unfamiliar situation can be intimidating, but that intimidation can't overpower or undermine your desire to meet your goals.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained....
  • MsScorpio67
    MsScorpio67 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Just try a class. You may love it. Dont' worry about anyone else. It's all about you.
  • WinKitty
    WinKitty Posts: 119
    Options
    I go to the Y and they offer a whole bunch of classes that I'd like to try. I am SO freaking out of shape though that A) I don't think I'll make it through a class - ANY class and B) regardless of whether I do or not it won't be a pretty site. I think that's what's stopping me from even trying it.

Any words of wisdom from used to be newbies at working out?

I wish I could go with you!!! I joined the Y last month and I look at this huge list of classes and I, too, am intimidated about breaking into one of them! Another thing that really complicates things for me while working out in public is that I get really red. Like REALLY RED, and even though I'm fine, people start asking me if I'm okay, and I have to explain to them that I just get really red, and that there's nothing wrong with me. When I'm swimming laps and the lifeguards see this, they come and stand by my lane. It embarrasses the crap out of me. :(

I also don't have any work out clothes or shoes, and don't know where to find them in my size. :(

I wish we could go together.