No reason to continue

Options
I really feel like I have no reason to continue down the path of trying to lose weight. I am currently about 40 lbs over weight and have been on MFP for 3 months. I am seeing no results at all. I am no longer even seeing the little things to keep me going. I am working out harder than I have since college sports and I am eating the healthiest I have in my entire life but can't seem to lose anything. I am so discouraged and feel like there is no reason to continue. I give myself a free day every week, I vary my exercises, keep right around my net and under my goal 6 days a week. I work out 6-7 days a week and I have plateaued for the past 2 1/2 months. I lost weight right away but can't get past 201. This is so frustrating. I have always been able to lose weight in the past (between kids etc) but this time I can't. Not only has the scale gone up (today at 205) but my inches all over my body have gone up. It is so frustrating to do everything everyone tells me to, I work out more eat less and wayyyyy healthier and here I am still fat, no progres and frustrated. I would rather stay this weight and enjoy my fatty crappy foods again than work my butt off to stay this weight. I am really looking for a reason to not give up, because I am right there wondering why I should keep going.

Replies

• sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    Consider opening your food diary so we can help. Hang in there :smile:
  • Bluesman77
    Options
    I dont get this whole weight loss thing. You put in the work, and the results dont show. But look at your little lady bug...you have lost 14 pounds!!! That is nothing to take lightly. You earned every one of those pounds. There is something that needs tweeked. Somehow we have to find out what that is and it is going to melt away. I know its frustrating. But dont stop. Six months will go by before you know it. You can look back with regret wishing you would have kept going, or you can look at yourself and say dang, I look good!

Come on friends, lets try and help Kristen figure this out. Lets get the lady bug home!!!!
  • Achoooo
    Achoooo Posts: 130
    Options
    I'm sorry that you feel this way, I know what you mean. I was doing well, or so I thought I don't know, and the scale never budged and neither did the inches. I was really at my wits end and giving up but I started here, it's my last ditch effort I guess. I know that doesn't help you but have you considered seeing a doc? If you take your food and exercise log to a doc or a nutritionist or something maybe they can help.
  • Achoooo
    Achoooo Posts: 130
    Options
    I dont get this whole weight loss thing. You put in the work, and the results dont show. But look at your little lady bug...you have lost 14 pounds!!! That is nothing to take lightly. You earned every one of those pounds. There is something that needs tweeked. Somehow we have to find out what that is and it is going to melt away. I know its frustrating. But dont stop. Six months will go by before you know it. You can look back with regret wishing you would have kept going, or you can look at yourself and say dang, I look good!

Come on friends, lets try and help Kristen figure this out. Lets get the lady bug home!!!!

Yes actually 14lbs in 3 months is a normal, healthy amount of weight for that time. Almost 5 lbs per month. It won't happen overnight.
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you have to just keep working at it. Hang in there. :flowerforyou:

How much are you eating calorie wise? Are you eating back your exercise calories? There is a possibility that you might not be eating enough.. as sometimes that will slow down progress too.
  • catherinern
    Options
    Hang in there. You can do it. Besides an active lifestyle is a healthy lifestyle. You will feel better about yourself for sticking to it :)
  • katherinesnell
    Options
    You're definitely right Bluesman,

LET's GET THAT LADYBIRD RUNNING ALONG THAT TICKER!!!

Could we look at your Food Diary to help you?
  • jojoworks
    jojoworks Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    It is hard and it can be discouraging. I had to really find substantial reasons to fight through the plateaus and stall-outs. I listen to deep relaxation, self-hypnosis weight-loss CD's at night. They really provide me with so many positive reinforcements that I think they got me through the times of discouragement.

Its not clear to me if you are asking for help. If you want more feedback you should make your food diary public, folks around here are pretty good at spotting trouble areas in a diet plan.

I hope you find your motivation and keep working at finding a healthy weight for yourself.

good luck!
  • TonysMiss
    TonysMiss Posts: 128 Member
    Options

Well said!!!
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Are you measuring everything you eat? I use a food scale.. love it!
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    I am going through the same thing, only I have much more weight to lose. I have been on a plateau for 4 weeks now and this morning I seriously feel like crying... I work out 6-7days a week and am on target 6-7 days a week as well... I don't get it and it's frustrating and don't udnerstand how this can be...

Only thing is I can't give up, and neither can you!! We have to figure this out and get through this...
  • oceanrose78
    oceanrose78 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough? Are you drinking water? Are you too high in sodium? And sometimes your body just needs to adjust.

While eating crappy foods and staying at a weight, is certainly an option, fueling your body correctly can pay off for years and years to come. With lessening chronic disease, more energy, and long lasting health. Nutrition is much more about health, and much less about weight loss.
  • ahsongbird
    ahsongbird Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    perhaps you are not measuring your food correctly and are actually eating more calories than you think? IDK I'm not an expert , just offering a suggestion.
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    You are probably NOT all fat. Working out creates muscle that is heavier, it takes time to readjust your body. Do you vary your workouts? Alternate your calorie intake and if possible where the bulk of your calories come from, protein/carb wise. How free is your free day? Remember that you are still healthier than you were. I know that after my initial big loss at starting a new eating pattern will decrease and need to be bumped around once in a while.
    Be good to yourself
  • littlemamajamie
    littlemamajamie Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Sometimes by giving ourselves a full cheat day we can consume enough calories that the rest of the week of less doesn't matter. Maybe try just giving yourself a cheat meal instead. Our bodies are so confusing sometimes maybe you need to up your calories for a week then go back down.....there are so many things to try before giving up just hang in there
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I give myself a free day every week

Do you mean free to eat whatever you want or a day free from exercise? If it is the former, that could be the problem.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Easy to get frustrated and want to quit...I was there last summer, after losing 10 pounds I hit a wall that lasted another 3 months; but that too can be over come. I shook things up and tried a few new things and started seeing results. You may want to open up your food journal too, like was mentioned, allow some others to view it. You may be doing something that someone other than you might see that could help. Don't quit! You've come a long way with 14 pounds and it can and will get better!
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you feel this way but don't give up!! You've come this far, don't throw that hard work away!!

I hit a slow point and pretty much stalled myself. Everyone's different and everyone has different views. What worked for me: I changed my activity level on here (after using another website to calculate things for me) and started eating more of my exercise calories. I try to change up the intake of cals, too.
    I changed my workouts. Instead of going hard 6 days a week, I alternate 3 hard, 3 moderate.
    The other thing I did, which some won't agree with, I had an all out cheat weekend. I didn't log/count a darn thing. It was sodium hell for my body...gaining 12 lbs!! But, after about 3 days, that fluid came off and I lost about 2 lbs. that week.

Just shake things up, but don't give up, please!! You can do this!! :)
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Everyone hits plateaus once in awhile. Can we see your food? What do you do for workouts? How many calories do you burn a day/week? There is no magic pill - we all wish there was. Just gotta hang in there and keep pecking away...
  • regentin
    regentin Posts: 60
    Options
    Don't give up...regardless of what the scale says, you absolutely cannot go wrong with eating healthy and exercising.