Analysis of the past month (including charts and data)

Options
Here is a comparison of what I planned to burn, what my recordings said I burned, and what I actually burned based on the weight I lost. I GLADLY welcome and appreciate any observations, recommendations, etc.

MarchChart-1.png

My first goal is to get the “Recorded” and “Actual” lines to match as closely as possible. While it is encouraging to see that they are very close at the end of the period, I have no reason to believe that I can maintain that given the inconsistency of how they track with each other. I made the following changes during this period of time, mostly during the last half:

a .Began paying attention to water and nutrient targets.
b. Increased my water intake.
c. Worked to keep sodium on target.
d. Worked to decrease sugar intake, with most of the effort centered around reducing sugar in my breakfast bars (that my wife lovingly makes for me) and reducing the amount of lo-cal dressing I use on my lunch salads, and using sugar-free coffee creamer.
e. Began taking multi-vitamin and calcium supplement.
f. Began eating more veggie snacks.
g. Increased intensity of my workouts over the period from Wii guided workouts and walking to fairly intense step aerobics and at the end, doing 60 minute sessions on my recumbent bike.

So my biggest question is what will happen with the relationship of my actual vs. recorded lines. If the actual line keeps climbing then I will start to worry about how healthy my approach is for me. However, if the actual line levels off, but tracks at a predictable distance from recorded then I know that I need to adjust how or what I record so that it reflects reality.

Secondary to me (at this point in my journey) is how both actual and recorded tracks with planned. I think this speaks to arguments such as “should I eat back my exercise calories”. I have so much to lose right now that I just don’t think such concerns are pertinent. Once I know that I can accurately track what my body does, then I know I can trust any adjustments I make in order to control it in order to make adjustments based on planning.

All of this data comes straight from what I recorded in MFP, but next period I am going to track my weight myself, because MFP does not give me granular enough data. Also, I weigh myself daily, but do not record on any consistent basis (I know this is a no no). Maybe I didn’t get the granular data because of this. Next period, I will be more careful and record my data myself if needed to get the data I need. For the purpose of the charts, I interpolated the gaps by adding the average between the known data points.

Here is the raw data:

MarchData1.png
MarchData2.png
MarchData3.png

Replies

• bfh123
    bfh123 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have a oouple comments to make. Firsthand foremost, I LOVE your analytical breakdown of your progress. Youre treating this as a project and it shows youre making an investmentvin yourself Congratulations!

Second, like a good project manager you observed weaknesses in your plan and made adjustments midcourse to your plan to eliminate where you were coming up short. Congrats on that too.

I'm not sure what the difference is in actual vs. Recorded. And you explain that?

I weigh myself daily. This could open up a whole new debate, but it is what works for me and I have a track record of success. However, I don't record my weight daily either. There's too many variables day to day, instead I record once a week. I don't see anything wrong with your approach there. Keep it up. Great job.
  • dengarrett
    dengarrett Posts: 367
    Options
    I have a oouple comments to make. Firsthand foremost, I LOVE your analytical breakdown of your progress. Youre treating this as a project and it shows youre making an investmentvin yourself Congratulations!

Second, like a good project manager you observed weaknesses in your plan and made adjustments midcourse to your plan to eliminate where you were coming up short. Congrats on that too.

I'm not sure what the difference is in actual vs. Recorded. And you explain that?

I weigh myself daily. This could open up a whole new debate, but it is what works for me and I have a track record of success. However, I don't record my weight daily either. There's too many variables day to day, instead I record once a week. I don't see anything wrong with your approach there. Keep it up. Great job.
    Well - yeah I do a lot of project planning :smile: Didn't realize it would show through in this LOL

Recorded is based on the data recorded in MFP - calories consumed, exercise, and recorded weight.

Actual is based on taking my weight recorded and multiplying by 3500 to get back to calories. I do see the problem in this given the variables as you mention. Who knows how much of that is fat. But it's the best I can currently get and I think is still valuable. I have ordered a new scale that is supposed to give me more parameters (fat percentage, water, etc). I will work incorporate those in. Again - who knows how accurate but as long as it is consistent then I can plan and adjust around it.

Thank you!
  • erniemj
    erniemj Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    My only thoughts is that the variable is actually not in what you burned, but on intake - the calorie guidelines for food are NO WAY accurate for every piece of item - an apple says 80 calories for a medium - but if you actually measured every apple, the calories probably fluctuate several calories -

Same goes for pre-measured foods like purchased snack bars - there is no way that every single bar produced has exactly the same gram weights for each and every nutrient and vitamin listed - its just impossible -

so that is my thought.. and btw I only read about half of your post - too technical for me - I am an artsy person, not a statistical person!
  • dengarrett
    Options
    My only thoughts is that the variable is actually not in what you burned, but on intake - the calorie guidelines for food are NO WAY accurate for every piece of item - an apple says 80 calories for a medium - but if you actually measured every apple, the calories probably fluctuate several calories -

Same goes for pre-measured foods like purchased snack bars - there is no way that every single bar produced has exactly the same gram weights for each and every nutrient and vitamin listed - its just impossible -

so that is my thought.. and btw I only read about half of your post - too technical for me - I am an artsy person, not a statistical person!
    Thanks - the data is just based on what I entered in MFP.
  • erniemj
    erniemj Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    oh - if it did not come across this way, I wanted to say awesome job! I think it is fabulous that you tracked all of this - definitely shows a dedication to the weight loss process! I only meant my comments to help as to why your actual weight loss varied from the planned weight loss due to the recording of the calories taken in and burned.

Great work all the way around! And also take anything I said with a grain of salt since I did not read everything you wrote :)
  • traceyrbb
    traceyrbb Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I love the charts! I need to do something like that..... thanks for sharing!
  • dengarrett
    Options
    oh - if it did not come across this way, I wanted to say awesome job! I think it is fabulous that you tracked all of this - definitely shows a dedication to the weight loss process! I only meant my comments to help as to why your actual weight loss varied from the planned weight loss due to the recording of the calories taken in and burned.

Great work all the way around! And also take anything I said with a grain of salt since I did not read everything you wrote :)
    Oh no I took it all as flattering and helpful! This all does boil down to some very inexact science. All of this is an effort to control a very complex system which is metabolism. By tracking planned (I want to lose 2 pounds per week which is 1000 calories per day) against what I record in MFP, and my actual weight loss I can begin to work towards "tuning" the system. Geez I do sound like a pm don't I? Lol
  • dengarrett
    Options
    I love the charts! I need to do something like that..... thanks for sharing!
    Thanks - I can send you my spreadsheet if you want - just send me your email address.
  • TAMMY_76
    TAMMY_76 Posts: 199
    Options
    bump i would like something like this
  • hemlock2010
    hemlock2010 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Math challenged here, so let me see if I have this right. To get the Actual, you multiply your # lbs lost by 3500 to get the number of calories that you would actually have needed to burn in order to lose the amount your scales say you lost, correct?

This is so cool!! Thanks for sharing. Can you show us how to set up the spreadsheet? I really want to try this!
  • hemlock2010
    Options
    About using actual daily weight vs interpolating between known data points:

I too weigh myself daily, and--at least for women--I think using actual daily weight would create unnecessary weirdnesses in the results. I gain 2lbs the first day after a weight-lifting workout (which I lose again by the 2nd day). I am sometimes 1-2 pounds up for TOM, but sometimes 1-2 pounds down. Either way, that resolves itself sometime between the 7th and 9th day after day 1 of TOM, which gives the appearance of a sudden weight loss or gain.

I don't know the technical term for a situation in which collecting more data actually confuses the issue, but I think this is such a situation.
  • dengarrett
    Options
    Yes that is the math I used to get the actual calories burned. I agree that there are many factors that make it less than perfect (and I have learned from reading posts that women have more variability with TOM - see I even learned the acronym). But the main point is that we are planning and recording based on the belief that we ARE producing the actual results. And we ARE otherwise why do it? I think the real value in tracking like this is to ACCOUNT for the variables we cannot control. To be able to look at the deviations and say "oh that's when I overloaded on sodium" or "that was my TOM".

Saying it a different way - once we are able to predict and measure the effect our actions have on our weight then we can take responsibility for them and stop blaming ourselves for the things we have no control over.

Also - the effects of most items that are beyond our control last a short period of time. Over a longer period of planning, recording and measuring these should even out and we can see that we are able to control our weight.

These are all just my thoughts and observations so I welcome the comments and discussion.

When I get home this evening I will share the details on the spreadsheet.
  • hemlock2010
    Options
    Sorry--I wasn't very clear. When I said that collecting more data might confuse the issue, I was referring ONLY to your comment about whether you would have better data if you entered actual weight every single day instead of weighing 2-3 times a week and splitting the difference for the intervening days. I wasn't dissing the overall project (which I think is way cool). But I also do agree with you about the possible benefits of including actual daily weight in terms of very clearly identifying the patterns of fluctuation.

This seems like a kind of research that really needs to be done by a lot of people over a long period of time. There's a lot that really is not known (empirically, in a hard-core research sense) about weight, and a long-term population study based on this kind of data would be a great place to start. (I'm thinking of the Nurses' Health Study http://www.channing.harvard.edu/nhs/ when I say long-term population studies.) Maybe you could organize a similar study using MFP?

Meanwhile, though, I'm really eager to get started doing this for myself and seeing other people's results! Looking forward to the spreadsheet.
  • dengarrett
    Options
    I'm sorry - I get into an analytical mode and forget to watch the edges in what I type :). I didn't take anything you said as being negative in any way and I didnt mean to be negative. I appreciate and enjoy the discussion.

I can send you my spreadsheet this evening if you want to send me your email address. I don't think you can attach files in MFP messages?

I think it could be very interesting to see this kind of info charted for multiple people. Maybe you and I can start it and see if we can get others to join?

I also think we should see the graphs both with and without the explained deviations because it may be helpful to visualize it both ways. I might possibly represent a "what if" sort of thing. Hey maybe that's it - once you can correlate actions to the data you can then ask what if questions by adding or removing those points and interpolating the data in between.

Hummm
  • PoleBoy
    PoleBoy Posts: 255 Member
    Options

My first goal is to get the “Recorded” and “Actual” lines to match as closely as possible. [...] I have no reason to believe that I can maintain that given the inconsistency of how they track with each other.

You are going to get that sort of fluctuation. Try plotting a 7 day moving average, then see what you get.

Also, consider using a body composition analyser - that'll help you filter out the water and muscle components of your loss (bear in mind that a pound of muscle lost is 1750 calories)
  • dengarrett
    Options
    Excellent point about the weight of muscle. I have a new scale on the way that will yell water and muscle.

Thanks for the tip on the moving average - curious as to why you picked 7 days?
  • PoleBoy
    PoleBoy Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tip on the moving average - curious as to why you picked 7 days?

Good question. Unfortunately the answer is "it feels about right"

It's sufficiently responsive that you don't miss trends when they start, but sufficiently smoothed to hide fluctuations?

It also ties in with the advice to weigh once a week (which is a very crude 7 day average.....)

As playing with numbers is your comfort zone I'll recommend the hackers diet to you - http://www.fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/
  • dengarrett
    Options
    I will be happy to share the spreadsheet if you can send me your email address.
  • hemlock2010
    Options
    I sent my e-mail address using MFPs personal message system.
  • dengarrett
    Options
    I sent my e-mail address using MFPs personal message system.
    Hemlock, I'm sorry but I don't see a message from you. I will try sending you my email address.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!