running...afraid i'm going to look stupid

Options
so i've always wanted to be a runner, but i'm afraid i'm too heavy to run. i'm mostly afraid i'm going to look completely stupid and idiotic when i run. i'd prefer to run outside, but right now the weather is fickle and i spent most of my time in the gym. i have the couch to 5k program on my iPhone and i'd love to start using it, but i'm afraid that there will just be too much of me moving in ways that i shouldn't (i'm 5'9" and around 298).

advice? how did you get over this fear? i should also mention that i am totally okay with using the elliptical, bike, etc at the gym and i'm fine with walking on the treadmill.

Replies

• tryinghard2012
    tryinghard2012 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    ((cyber hug)), I felt like you when I started my journey standing 6 feet at 346 pounds, but didn't let that stop me from hopping on the treadmill, elliptical and ARC Trainer sweating and pumping!!! Now at 262 (and counting my fat away), I can't allow me to be my own worst critic. I have to stay focus and realize that everyone has insecurities even those we deem as "perfect."

I say just pop on some music you like, and take your focus off of your body and more on the results you want. You can do it!!!
  • DanNoonan
    DanNoonan Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    The only way you'd look stupid was if you didn't do what you needed/wanted to do to be healthy. Trust me, the whole world isn't going to stop to watch you run - it's all in your head :smile:
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I know I look stupid. But it feels so good to be running, it feels so great to be home and finished and accomplished, it burns a ton of calories and I can eat my favorite (healthy!) high calorie foods that day.

This is something I need to do soon, go to a running shoe store, or a fitness store, anything specifically for athletes. They can fit you in a pair of running shoes, and watch you run. They can tell you whether or not you are running correctly, and also give you a specific shoe for your type (flat foot, weight on the outside of foot, weight on the heel and such)

that way, when you go run on your own, you can remember their tips and have good shoes and really do well :smile:

As for your body moving in ways it shouldn't? It will do that for a few weeks. Then it will shrink. And shrink. And shrink. :happy: Running is one of the best cardio exercises you can ever do, I SAY GO FOR IT !
  • gidjet11
    gidjet11 Posts: 86
    Options
    I think that anyone that is running is really smart! Working out in any way is great for you physically and mentally! I think that if you start out by walking outside and slowly start doing some running when you can you won't care what other people think soon. Maybe you could think about all the other people you are inspiring to get out of their houses to do a little running themselves!
  • SuperStorm
    SuperStorm Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    You know, I worry about that too but I finally got comfortable with it when I looked at it this way
    Yes I am overweight and when I attempt to run I have horrible form and there's a whole lot of jiggling going on but I am doing this to be healthy so if you want make fun of me go ahead because one day I'll be skinny with perfect form and just as beautiful on the outside as I feel on the inside and you'll still be making fun of others to make yourself feel better because you're an ugly person on the inside and that's never going to change.
    If they have a problem with you running, it is just that, THEIR problem.
    You run your heart out girl!!
    Hope that helps ;)
  • NatashaAlexandra
    NatashaAlexandra Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    so i've always wanted to be a runner, but i'm afraid i'm too heavy to run. i'm mostly afraid i'm going to look completely stupid and idiotic when i run. i'd prefer to run outside, but right now the weather is fickle and i spent most of my time in the gym. i have the couch to 5k program on my iPhone and i'd love to start using it, but i'm afraid that there will just be too much of me moving in ways that i shouldn't (i'm 5'9" and around 298).

advice? how did you get over this fear? i should also mention that i am totally okay with using the elliptical, bike, etc at the gym and i'm fine with walking on the treadmill.

To be perfectly honest, if you are confident enough to go to the gym and exercise there, then I don't see how running in public can be so hard for you! What I'd do is, try and run at a time of the day when not many people will be about, eg in the morning or at night, BUT if you can't fit that around your schedule, try find somewhere quite private, but not completely far away from houses etc to run! If you live in a big city, or a place with not many tracks, try and map your way around the nicest streets, or maybe even if you live in an estate, go and run in another estate - so you don't feel unconfident if you see someone you actually know!

I too am afraid of looking silly, even though I am a healthy weight, but that is because when I tend to exercise my face goes extremely red - and I look as if I'm on fire haha! I managed to overcome this by finding a quiet place and going running at about 9 in the morning!

Once you start running - believe me you will gain confidence. And you will probably have more fun than if you were just in the gym all day.

What I'd do is, sign yourself up for a charity run thats happening in about 3-4 months time (eg race for life, moonwalk, there are millions out there!) - and work up to it. It will give you motivation to reach your goal and will give you something to look forward to!
  • donnawilding
    donnawilding Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about what you look like!! You are on the right track to doing what you want! All of those people out there are strangers that don't know you and who cares what they think?! I would be careful with stress on your joints and shin splints, etc. until you have lost a little weight, which will happen because you are doing all of the right things! Keep on running, working out, eating right, and you will be running that 5k before you know it!
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I can completely relate to this...I started out doing a variation of Couch25K on the treadmill at my apt. complex fitness center because it wasn't used very much ;) After about 2 weeks, I moved it into the gym I actually pay money for :) and no one has ever said anything about how goofy I look...I'm very self conscious, I run really slow and sweat like crazy...but I'm doing it and that is what's important to me. Generally the other runners nod, smile, we all put our headphones in and no one comments on anyone else :) I think you will find that people will be supportive. The trainers and employees at the gym always say hey and ask how I'm coming along--I've gone from jogging 15 second intervals to jogging 4 minute intervals in the past month--

I think you should try it...especially if you are already doing the other types of machines/exercises at the gym. You just keep focus on your goals and know that you are doing something healthy for your body...if someone else doesn't like it, screw em :)

Feel free to friend me--I would love to talk to some other people who are beginning runners...
  • sibelarditi
    Options
    Hey, I've been a runner for almost 6 years now. 2 half-marathons and many 5 and 10k's later, I still think its the best hobby ever. Not only is it a mental break from life, it also is a great way to stay in shape. My mom is a crazy athlete (she's ran many ironman's) and she got me started on running when I was a bit heavier. The easiest thing to do is to just start out running in intervals, 1 minute jogging, 2 minutes walking, etc. And before you know it, you'll be running an hour straight! I know it seems impossible, but if you stick to a set schedule and really dedicate yourself to it, I know you can do it. As for what others think, who cares. This is something you're doing for your own health and well being, and everyone else, especially people at a gym, will know that. Just wear something you're comfortable in, and always have your goal in mind. Have you signed up for a 5k yet? Hope I've helped at least a bit! Let me know how everything goes
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Oh gosh. You won't look stupid. You will look like someone who is taking control of their fitness. If I saw you out there I would be cheering you on!

I understand the anxiety though. I felt it too when I did the couch to 5k way back. I thought, "everybody's going to laugh at the fat boy running". But the desire to to do it was bigger than the fear (which is an irrational fear by the way). Just know that the feeling is pretty normal. Try to ignore it and get out there. You'll be SO glad you did :smile:
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I would be careful with stress on your joints and shin splints, etc. until you have lost a little weight, which will happen because you are doing all of the right things!

If you're not already stretching after workouts, if you decide to start a running program make sure you stretch really well after running/jogging. Especially stretches for the shins. I learned that the hard way after the first two days I tried running. You can find some good ones (with pictures, no less) online :)
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I so completely understand where you're coming from. I started out over 90 lbs heavier than now and actually cried the first time I ran because I was embarrassed of how I looked running, but I didn't let it stop me and I'm sure glad I didn't because I would have never known I was capable of loving running and it changed my life.
  • mangorabbit
    mangorabbit Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    ...also, if you have been doing some walking or running in one pair of shoes and would rather the running store people not 'watch you run' (I can be REALLY self conscious) - take in your old shoes, a lot of times they can get an idea of how your feet hit the ground based on the wear patterns of the shoes.

And if it helps? The only people who are going to think you look stupid are the ones who aren't interested in their fitness. Pretty much any time I see someone running I think 'Way to go!' No matter the speed, the clothing, or the size of the person, I applaud their choice.

And if you like: Silly/embarrassing moments?

Running in the winter I totally surfed around a corner (icy sidewalk!) and ended up on my butt. Right next to a bus stop of waiting people. Yeah, smooth.

Also from winter running - it gets cold in MI, so I run with socks on my hands - had been going in the mornings to save most people the sight of my 'hobo fitness attire' as I refer to it. ...however the police car that passed me, then I think went around the block and passed me again? I don't know what they thought I was up to.

So take a deep breath and rock on! (I highly recommend running outside when you can, I find it much more interesting than the gym, and you can't downgrade the hills!) ^_^
  • slimyfishy
    slimyfishy Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    YOU CAN DO IT!! I've been addicted for a long time, and I'm not a small runner. Who cares? I've had people look at me, honk, wave, scream gibberish, etc. while I'm running. Many folks may look at you, but how many are thinking: "Wow! She's doing it. Maybe I should get out and exercise too?"

When I started out jogging, I was completely out of shape. I started walking, then speed walking, then jogging, and then I did a 5K. I've got marathons under my belt now. I'm not tiny as I usually do a marathon around 165lbs. Sure, I'd like to be the tiny little lady racking up the miles, but I'm not. My heart is in it and I set on getting healthy.

You are doing the exact same thing. The thing is to MOVE. Whether you are walking, jogging, skipping, biking, roller blading, etc. You aren't being sedentary. You are putting your health first. I say.....RUN STRONG, girlfriend! YOU CAN DO IT! :drinker: :wink:
  • tryinghard2012
    tryinghard2012 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    BTW you inspired me to start C25k, I just downloaded the app on my Android. I will start tomorrow! In addition to my regular work out. :flowerforyou:
  • emariec78
    emariec78 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I used to feel the same way. I'll admit the only reason I ever got on a treadmill was one very busy night at the gym when it was the only equipment available, but doing it just that once made me realize that it was fine. When I took a moment and looked around there were plenty of people of all different shapes and sizes running, I realized I needed to stop being self-councious and focus on what I was there for-the exercise! Sometimes all it takes is facing it that one time.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'm more impressed by someone who's obviously stepped out of their comfort zone and working their tushie off on the treadmill than someone athletic cruising along making it look easy. It takes heart, guts, drive and determination. Be proud and run!!! :smile:
  • kristarablue
    Options
    So here is the deal....I totally feel ya...been there done that. I began the C5K program in Aug....(but it was not designed for someone with my lack of fitness at the time). I began running in a wooded area by my house so that no one could see me, when I would get to an opening, I would stop running for fear of looking like an idiot. Because you know, who was I at just over 300 pounds (at the time) to even pretend to run. I felt like I was a menace to society because I was exposing so many to such a ridiculous looking spectacle. Through continued running and once again staying in the wooded area I gained confidence. Then it got cold and me being the baby that I am, I had to go to the gym and run in front of lots of people, this was one of the most difficult things I have had to do yet.

But here is what I realized, no one is making fun of you or looking at you like you are a crazy lady. If anything they are cheering you on that you are taking control of your life. If you see an obese person trying to exercise, what do you think? I think...Rock on!!! Good for them and I am so proud of them for making a change. I can guarantee people are thinking the same of you, they are probably secretly cheering you on, I know we are cheering you on for making a change.

I like the elliptical as well, but I will tell you, nothing makes me feel stronger or more confident than running. I have been riddled with injuries from running, but I still love it or at least I love the way it makes me feel. Nothing gives me more of a work out or sheds weight like running has for me. I strongly suggest sticking with it....People are proud of what you are doing...the only person that thinks you look stupid is yourself and that my friend is the hardest obstacle to overcome, I still battle with it daily.

Good luck and stay strong!
  • rharris86dc
    rharris86dc Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I had the same fear as you. I'm 5'5 and started out at 212. Right now I'm at 192, and I still feel like I'm too heavy to be running (I still jiggle, ugh!). Also, I was afraid that people would judge me for not running very long, since I'm doing C25k on the treadmill at the gym.

But I started it, and am on week 3. I'm finding that the more I do it, the less stupid I feel, and people are generally into their own thing anyway, so they generally pay no mind to what others are doing.

So don't worry about looking stupid. I think everyone kind of looks silly when they work out, anyway! Just do what you have to do, and eventually you'll look like a natural!
  • proverbs31chick
    proverbs31chick Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    OMG, I was having this fear a few weeks ago. I use the treadmill but wanted to amp my workout by starting to jog at first I was like ok these people are going to be looking at me like why did she jog for like 2 minutes then walk again, but then I just did it, I walk fast then jog for like 2 minutes and repeat like twice. I didn't care who was watching me, and plus my brother who works out with me said no one is really paying attention to you, its all in our heads.Just do it, this is about you changing and even though we might feel uncomfortable its ok. Man when I see people bigger than me at the gym joggin I am IMPRESSED. I am 221 lbs 5'3 , do it girl its soooooooo worth it.:smile: