running...afraid i'm going to look stupid

Options
2»

Replies

• california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    I used to feel the same way. I would only run on a treadmill at home, but I really wanted to run outside. Finally I just did it. I never did the C25k, but I ended up basically doing that on my own by alternating running and walking until I could cover the entire distance. Once you get out there and get going you are going to stop worrying about everyone else, because you are going to feel so damn good. It is going to feel good to be moving and then is going to feel good to see the results on the scale and in your clothing. I have been running regularly since the end of Aug '10 and I have gone from a size 20 jeans to a size 14!

Also, you will be mostly encoutering other people who are running or walking or biking. The runners will support you and not look down on you because that is how most runners seem to be. The walkers will be thinking....I should starting running. The bikers, well they will just zip by and honestly I have no idea what they might be thinking. LOL.

Good luck to you!
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    I used to be afraid of that too, but then I decided not to care. I decided not to stop myself from doing something that was good for me just because of what other people might think.
  • donicagalek
    donicagalek Posts: 526
    Options
    When you can (if you haven't already) get some spandex-type clothing for under whatever you wear to the gym and a *good* sports bra. It's one thing to tire out from running, but when the pain from the jiggly spots stops you if feels so disheartening. :-/
  • cenafan
    cenafan Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I went for my first jog/walk session last night. I have been walking my hour for the last 5 weeks and found it wasn't hard enough anymore. I would jog for as long as I could...then walk fast to recover my breathing and heart rate and then repeat. I would up jogging 18 minutes and walking 42. I think not too bad for the first try. Of course I am concerned about what people are going to think. All I could feel was my butt jiggling. But all the other joggers/runners smile and wave...so it kinda went out of my head really fast. As for people driving by...they can think whatever they want. I am doing something to better myself...so I'm putting aside any concerns of what people think. You can do it!!!
  • lesliekae
    lesliekae Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about what you look like!! You are on the right track to doing what you want! All of those people out there are strangers that don't know you and who cares what they think?! I would be careful with stress on your joints and shin splints, etc. until you have lost a little weight, which will happen because you are doing all of the right things! Keep on running, working out, eating right, and you will be running that 5k before you know it!

I couldn't have said it better. You can't ignore the fact that you are making an effort to regain control. Any decient person would respect that and who cares about all the other a**holes that would rather critic and pass judgement. I read another post that said put on some music and distract your mind. That is also excellent advice.
  • LG61820
    LG61820 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Gee whiz, I thought I was the only one who thought I looked stupid.. . looks like almost everyone does. Since I don't see a lot of other people that I think look stupid doing it it must be nothing but negativity trying to stop me. I like to think "I'm running off my belly" or "I'm running back the clock" when I have those thoughts while out.

Do some warmups before you start to get the hips, knees, ankles and feet warmed up. Start walking before running to make sure the joints are ready. Be sure to do cool down stretching after. Wish I had started out this way instead of letting injuries force me to learn it!

Also, don't wait until you're injured or have sore joints before you break down and have yourself fitted for the proper shoes. It makes a world of difference. Wish I had done it earlier.

Wishing you much success!
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    See if you can find the Friends episode where Pheobe runs with Rachel and runs like she did when she was a little kid....Rachel was emabarassed to be with her silly run until she just let loose and ran like a little kid too and it was so freeing. You only look as silly as you think you look and it only matters what you look like running if you assume people are watching you and judging.Don't assume people are making judgements and don't put thoughts in thier minds and just enjoy the run...it is wonderful!!!
  • manymuses
    manymuses Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I used to feel the same way. I ended up basically doing that on my own by alternating running and walking until I could cover the entire distance.

That's me too, hun. I used to care what people thought about how awkward I must look, but frankly I am doing this for me and I really just don't even care what anyone else thinks now. I am getting healthy and strong. I do intervals of walking and running and I find that it really gets my heart rate elevated and keeps it up there for my entire workout.

You can do it. Just DO the thing. xx
  • loro1971
    loro1971 Posts: 135
    Options
    Training Tips for Marathon Wannabes
    Ken Earley, a 12-time marathoner and an RRCA-certified running coach as well as a member of Weight Watchers, offers these tips:

Start slow. Then go slower.
    Go to a real running store and get fitted for good shoes. This expense will pay for itself in better health and fewer co-pays. The staff can tell you if you over-pronate, supinate, etc.
    Start with the Couch to 5K plan, walking and incorporating running.
    Never increase your distance more than 10 percent at a time.
    Up distance first, then speed.
    As your running progresses (and your distance), look for training plans for 10Ks, ten-milers, and half-marathons. Two popular online programs for beginner runners are Jeff Galloway’s Run/Walk Programs and this one from Cool Running.
    Check out your local running club for marathon training programs. Charity groups have training programs as well. “There are people running marathons at every pace, and runners come in all shapes and sizes, so don’t be shy. Twenty miles is a long way to run alone, so running with a group is a very fun, social, and safe way to train.”
  • gailosborne
    gailosborne Posts: 435
    Options
    The only way you'd look stupid was if you didn't do what you needed/wanted to do to be healthy. Trust me, the whole world isn't going to stop to watch you run - it's all in your head :smile:

This is absolutely true! If you wanted to you could look at clips on youtube of correct running form etc, but basically do it! When I started to become a decent runner, people at my gym took the time to say they could see a bit improvement! :flowerforyou:
  • corsayre8
    corsayre8 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    The truth is very few people care what other people look like. Generally they have so much going on in their own lives, they can't be bothers to notice a strangers.

Now if you are worried about what people you k ow may think, then I would wonder why you have such judgemental, non supportive people in your life.

For me, I simply don't care if I loom stupid. The running is helping me to drop weight quicker than anything else. So therefore, each day I do it, I look a bit less stupid. Ohhh, and it can't look any worse than having to wear my frumpy old clothes everyday because nothing else would fit.
  • peteyTwang
    peteyTwang Posts: 250
    Options
    great advice from everybody -- i would add that as a new runner I think it's actually fun to put your FREAK on -- look GOOFY as possible -- and OWN it as they say on those feelgood daytime TV shows... it's amazing how people totally tune you out when you do sweat it out ( guilt?) and rock by looking like Ben Stiller and his kids in The Royal Tennebaums...matching track suit, headband... iPhone...polar HRM etc.

I'll post some pictures of this next time i go with my running partner... :laugh:
  • abbyph311
    abbyph311 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I've felt like that before too. I would run and then if I saw anyone I would slow down to a normal walk. Then RUUUUUUN when nobody was watching. That's hard to do at the gym though. Honestly, people won't really notice you running/jogging. At the gym they are focused on their own workout. Outside, people are busy doing their own thing too. When I see arunner I never think negatively...I think "they are awesome!'
  • Keightisgr8
    Keightisgr8 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Everytime I see a runner - despite their size I think to myself "I WISH I was that motivated/brave/fit". Be proud of your thunder missy, because it's all yours and you're gonna do with it what you want when you want! And if that includes jogging it off, so be it!
  • kristarablue
    Options
    Training Tips for Marathon Wannabes
    Ken Earley, a 12-time marathoner and an RRCA-certified running coach as well as a member of Weight Watchers, offers these tips:

Start slow. Then go slower.
    Go to a real running store and get fitted for good shoes. This expense will pay for itself in better health and fewer co-pays. The staff can tell you if you over-pronate, supinate, etc.
    Start with the Couch to 5K plan, walking and incorporating running.
    Never increase your distance more than 10 percent at a time.
    Up distance first, then speed.
    As your running progresses (and your distance), look for training plans for 10Ks, ten-milers, and half-marathons. Two popular online programs for beginner runners are Jeff Galloway’s Run/Walk Programs and this one from Cool Running.
    Check out your local running club for marathon training programs. Charity groups have training programs as well. “There are people running marathons at every pace, and runners come in all shapes and sizes, so don’t be shy. Twenty miles is a long way to run alone, so running with a group is a very fun, social, and safe way to train.”

Best advice ever!!!! You are a wise one
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I'm a shocking runner, and used to worry about what people would think. A friend passed me by in their car and said to me later "some people are made for running, you are not". I just laughed and kept on doing my thing. I'm not interested in whether he thinks I look like runner or not. You know once I had faced up to someone's negative attitude, I just didn't care any more. That's probably the worst thing and it is over and I dealt with it.

Good luck, and happy running.

GG
  • misssparta
    Options
    I know what you mean. I hate the idea of other people watching me run. My solution: run at night, when everyone is having dinner, watching tv or sleeping. Of course only do so if it's safe to be out by yourself on your own at night. Another advantage is it's cooler at night (I live in Australia).
    Otherwise I'd suggest getting a treadmil. I want one but don't have the spare money till next month.

Good luck and chin up =)