What are your favorite alternatives for 'sweets'?

Options
I have cravings for sweets like CRAZY! Almost every day I end up eating a cookie, or a candy that sends me over my sugar limit.
This needs to stop!

What are your favorite alternatives for 'sweets'?

Thank you for your input! (I'm going grocery shopping tonight:)
<3

Replies

• funfitfoodie
    funfitfoodie Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Brazil Nuts! And dark chocolate - its not as moorish as milk chocolate so I can control myself and also its great for antioxidants
  • ravenclawseekergirl
    ravenclawseekergirl Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Raisins there still sugary, so fill a bit of that sugar craving but are filled with fibre and count towards your 5 fruit and veg a day. Low cal hot chololate drinks or nutellahelps when i have a serious chocolate craving too.
    Hope this helps
  • autumn13
    autumn13 Posts: 295
    Options
    Sugar free Jello...I couldn't live without it:)
  • MinxMooMoo
    Options
    Some really tasty grapes !!! or some dried mango in moderation of course lol!!!!!!!!!!
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    If you have cravings, you may want to try doing Atkins Induction or South Beach Phase 1 for 3 to 7 Days. Then as you "re-enter" eat fruit with cheese or cottage cheese. Worked for Me. Now I can control eating sweets and I have no cravings. I give Myself a sweet treat maybe once a week.

HIGH GLYCEMIC-HIGH CARB alternatives may in fact FEED your craving (while things like popcorn, rice cakes and the like may be low calorie, they are TRIGGER Foods-releasing insulin quickly raising your blood-sugar level...) exacerbating your cravings over time and holding onto fat.
  • Becca_007
    Becca_007 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Emeralds Dark Chocolate Almonds. They contain a nice blend of healthy fats, protein and small amount of carbs. A few of those and it's definitely feeling like a treat to me but it's a healthy one and doesn't trigger a carb craving.:tongue:

Works well for me:wink:
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    popcorn or 100 cal snacks
  • bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Dessert selection yoplait yogurts. 35 cals each... and the cappucino flavour seriously tastes like cheesecake! YUMMY!
  • aaronbyard
    Options
    Fruit, and peanut butter (or nutella), sometimes together. I try to eat all my fruit in the morning and eat only veggies later in the day, but sometimes I have to have berries or an apple for an afternoon snack. Or raw almonds. Raw almonds are awesome, but I have to watch it because I could easily at 4 servings if I'm not paying attention.
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    once i cut out all refined sugars and sugar substitutes i find i no longer crave sweet stuff *S*

yeah..surprised me too cause i was a HUGE dessert lover (or was that lover of huge desserts? or both? *LOL*)

now.. if i need a sweetener i only use a touch of honey... so a 'sweet treat' to me now is a tiny drizzle of honey on a toasted thin bagel or bran muffin *S*

other than that i think my 'sweet' tooth is totally met now by the fresh fruits i eat.

i know it is unbelievable (for any who know me) but i no longer even crave chocolate *LOL*
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    yogurt with granola
  • superstah00
    superstah00 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I really like the special k bars!! YUM
  • hayleylou85
    hayleylou85 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I buy bags of frozen mixed summer berries and pour a few into a bowl and munch on them. Because they're frozen they take longer to eat and taste really sweet :-)
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    rice cakes with cinnamon raisin or chocolate peanut butter
  • chattygirl2
    chattygirl2 Posts: 103
    Options
    kettle corn!! only when I can share it!! lol
  • cath1024
    cath1024 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I love the Fibre One Oats and Caramel bars low calories and very tasty yumm
  • CalPolyBronco
    CalPolyBronco Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    100 calorie Kettle Corn, (if you feel like going out- frozen yogurt is delicious), Fat free Jell-O Pudding, and remember to drink plenty of water....sometimes when I think I'm hungry I'm really just dehydrated. Try adding flavoring to your water for a sweet kick!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    I eat apples instead. I could live on apples. I absolutely love them.
  • newmeat30
    newmeat30 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    Archer Farms freeze dried peaches. Yummm!!!
  • ScatteredWriter
    Options
    Frozen bananas blended with a bit of milk, add (unsweetened) cocoa powder and/or peanut butter if you like. Tastes awesome, and totally good for you.

A cup of Good Earth original sweet 'n' spicy tea - regular or herbal. So yummy, and sweet without sugar.

An apple sauteed or heated in the microwave until it's warm and yummy.