What are your favorite alternatives for 'sweets'?

Options

Replies

• jen1516
    jen1516 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • mentalbeat
    mentalbeat Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I like to eat mixed nuts and raisins with other dried fruit chunks, especially apricots and banana.
  • funfitfoodie
    funfitfoodie Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    yogurt with granola

mmmmmmm granola - yummy!!
  • eorourke23
    Options
    I like having frozen grapes, they last for ages, or if its a cocolate treat it best to freeze it too because it last much longer :)
  • ashley0616
    ashley0616 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Fat free cool whip is my favorite.
    Greek yogurt with honey or chocolate protein powder.
    Nonfat pudding.
    Dark chocolate (antioxidants!)
  • EbonyGemstoneHealth
    EbonyGemstoneHealth Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Medjool dates,although I try to keep them to a minimum but they are so good! :D
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    My protein powder/milk I have before bed does it for me. And fruit. I try and stay away from fake junk food. If I want ice cream I will eat real ice cream. If I want a cookie I will have a real cookie.

And you don't have to drop your carbs. There's a couple of comments in the article below that explains what going low carb or no carb will do to you. When you exercise you need those carbs for fuel. You just want to choose the good carbs (yes - low GI - some fruits are high GI - you can search online).
    I have my carbs at 40%, my protein at 35% and my fat at 25%.

http://www.hussmanfitness.org/html/TPAdaptation.html
  • jojoworks
    jojoworks Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I researched sweeteners a wee bit and decided to try raw coconut crystals. I put a tablespoon on my oatmeal in the morning and 1 in my homemade salad dressings. It is about 1/2 the calories of raw honey, is minimally processed and also has a low glycemic index of 35. It isn't crumble your teeth sweet but it adds enough sweetness to allow you to enjoy what you're eating. I had to request that my local natural foods coop carry them and they did! I'm fortunate to live in an area rich with natural and organic food options.

I also have wild frozen blueberries with my morning steel-cut oats, a banana at lunch and either an orange or a grapefruit in the evening. I don't crave other sweets...unless you count alcohol. I'd say the weekend wine and/or beer probably are my week spots. Once I have a couple drinks I tend to start eyeballing the refrigerator with predacious glances.

good luck and happy eating!
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Frozen bananas blended with a bit of milk, add (unsweetened) cocoa powder and/or peanut butter if you like. Tastes awesome, and totally good for you.

add some Irish Creme too! LOL
  • tmaksparkie
    tmaksparkie Posts: 279
    Options
    I use extra dessert gum, yummy and mints because I don't want to eat anything after a mint.
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Fruit Factory - 14 gram boxes of raisin & sultana/apple/apricot - really hit the spot for 40 cals.

Actually - I started out having kit kats (2 fingers = 107 calories) on the basis that f I craved chocolate I was going to consume it in a controlled way... but after I got the fruit factory boxes and put them in the same tin I found myself choosing the fruit 9 times out of 10.
  • Mommyof3texans
    Options
    My new favorite is the Emerald Cocoa roasted almonds...yum!
  • mcboyd1983
    Options
    Stick to natural sugar from fresh fruit.
  • taletreader
    taletreader Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    - Fewer sweets (1 piece of something high qualty such as dark chocolate, chocolate-covered coffee beans etc)
    - Nuts (15-20g - 100-130 cals)
    - Yogurt
    - Fruit (1 serving)
  • Stefani74
    Stefani74 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I tend to have chocolate cravings in the afternoon, so I have a chocolate brownie Clif bar as a snack on those days. YUMMY!
  • raven1114
    raven1114 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I like having frozen grapes, they last for ages, or if its a cocolate treat it best to freeze it too because it last much longer :)

frozen grapes are yummy
  • lestahling
    Options
    Yogurt
    Fruit (especially apples and grapes!)
    Also, I love love love LOVE protein bars, it's awesome when you want chocolate. I'd recommend Luna Bars, Special K Meal Bars, and clif builder bars :)
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    70%+ dark chocolate
  • ladylu11
    ladylu11 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I eat the Quaker Dipp Bars and sometimes I eat whole grain Ritz crackers with Nutella on them
  • sarahlouisah
    Options
    cereal bars , options hot dchocolate, 10 calorie jelly, jam, pomegranite, special k mini breaks chocolate fruit flakes ( kids lunch box snack)