OKAY...I REALLY need some suggestions!!!

Options

Replies

• Skittles6617
    Skittles6617 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    oh yes and coffee does the trick really well. Try flavored creamer instead of sugar.
  • kistinbee
    kistinbee Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    What about Coffee... that always seems to work for me.

I drink coffee every morning and it used to always get things moving almost instantly...but apparently not anymore.:grumble:
  • neha
    neha Posts: 67
    Options
    Try Prune Juice. Really helpful. And drink two glasses of warm water just before going to bed. I have been though this.
  • raincloud
    raincloud Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    The only thing that helped my husband is eating activia every day.
  • bodibykelli
    bodibykelli Posts: 135
    Options
    You sound like me...I even took Zelnorm (for irritable bowel syndrome) before they took it off of the market. If you find that none of the suggestions that are coming in work for you (they never did for me...including Activia and the "poo cheese" that's on the market), I have found a meal that works WONDERS for me. It is frozen dinner from Kashi....it is their Black Bean and Mango (I'm a vegetarian), very high in fiber and it just goes right through me....besides the fact that's it's pretty darn tasty! Good luck to you!
  • Lhernandez705
    Options
    Ok, I consider myself a bit of a fiber junkie and I'll tell you why. A few years ago I got really heavy into Laxative teas (Senna to be exact) and I didn't realize that my body grew accustomed to it. As soon as I would stop taking the tea, I would stop going. I literally went almost a full month without going to the bathroom, and believe it or now, I didn't go to the doctor. I started to research and read many bulletins like these to get some ideas. The one thing I read was that laxatives were NOT the way to go. Du! I kind of knew that already... so the next best over the counter thing I read about was Metamucil (the powder). I started taking it with water and it helped. I went. But I still felt I would get clogged up. So I changed my diet COMPLETELY. I eat lots of fiber now and I am completely regular, and it's the best feeling (to not be bloated)... unless on the days I overdo it which can make me feel a little uncomfortable. My best advice to you and anyone else who has issues like this is to do it with food. If you get your body to work on it's own, it's the very best thing you can do to yourself. I do this by always eating my fiber at breakfast. Do this with oatmeal and raisins or find the cereal with the highest fiber lowest sugar content you can find (that you can stomach). I eat either: ALL BRAN Extra Fiber, ALL BRAN Bran Buds, ALL BRAN Regular, KASHI Go Lean, or FIBER ONE. These cereals all have a bland taste, so I pair the serving up with fresh berries and vanilla soy milk (My favorite is 8th Continent Light Vanilla - which is low in sugar and high in protein and tastes GREAT!). Try this and you'll never eat Lucky Charms again.
    Good Luck!
  • kistinbee
    Options
    Thanks! I know laxatives are a bad idea...it's more so I don't get more clogged right now. I already eat TONS of fiber...at least 25 g. daily. I drink LOTS of water. I exercise on a regular basis. I keep looking up articles and these are all things that help prevent this problem....but I already do them! SO...not quite sure what my issue is then. I don't know if maybe my body is just adjusting to this new lifestyle or what...I don't eat greasy food anymore. I eat LOTS of fruit and veggies. I eat yogurt everyday. I have wholesome grains and some almonds. I eat minimal fat and sugar. So...what's the deal. I'm pretty much living really healthy and nutritious these days, and NOW I'm irregular...bloated...MISERABLE! Seriously doesn't make sense to me! So...I guess I just don't know what to do now. I will continue trying new things. I can't go to a doctor right now...no insurance. So...thanks for the suggestions and keep em coming if there's more!
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    Ok a few things I might be able to add to the mix. Yes yogurt would be great. But in addition most pharmacies sell a probiotic for you stomach over the counter that you do not need a perscription for but you do have to ask for it. It add the good bacterias you need in your intestines. If you had been on antibiotics or some other types of medications they can deplete those important bacterias.

Second thing is definately consider mollasses, or prunes that may help elliviate some of the discomfort in the meantime. Stay away from bananas and apples for a little bit. They are great for stopping you up a bit.:bigsmile:

Third if you haven't been to the doctor in awhile you may want to check things out. I know thyroid issues as odd as that sounds can cause constipation.

Hang in there.
  • kistinbee
    Options
    Ok a few things I might be able to add to the mix. Yes yogurt would be great. But in addition most pharmacies sell a probiotic for you stomach over the counter that you do not need a perscription for but you do have to ask for it. It add the good bacterias you need in your intestines. If you had been on antibiotics or some other types of medications they can deplete those important bacterias.

Second thing is definately consider mollasses, or prunes that may help elliviate some of the discomfort in the meantime. Stay away from bananas and apples for a little bit. They are great for stopping you up a bit.:bigsmile:

Third if you haven't been to the doctor in awhile you may want to check things out. I know thyroid issues as odd as that sounds can cause constipation.

Hang in there.

Hmmm...I eat a banana AND an apple daily. I should stop this for a while??

I was thinking about buying some pineapple as someone suggested and I eat berries a lot. I haven't been on any antibiotics in a LONG time so I don't think that is the problem. But I think I'll buy some prune juice. Thanks Eve!!
  • heyjuede
    heyjuede Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    i am glad you posted this! i am dealing with the same thing right now. have been since last monday. just like you i drink tons of water and eat tons of fiber and healthy foods. it is so frustrating :explode:
  • kistinbee
    Options
    i am glad you posted this! i am dealing with the same thing right now. have been since last monday. just like you i drink tons of water and eat tons of fiber and healthy foods. it is so frustrating :explode:

Oh yes...SO frustrating!!!!:explode: Not glad it's happening to you too, but am glad I'm not the only one. Hopefully we can figure this situation out!!!!!! Keep me posted with anything that seems to be working and I'll do the same!!!:flowerforyou:
  • GinaB30
    GinaB30 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I was dealing with this one...just recently! lol
    Is there something you're eating that causes you NOT to go?
    Like for me, if I have too much dairy I'm SO not going for a while!! lol
    So now I wake up and have a flax seed OIL pill, then have some flax seed sprinkled in my cereal (the ground stuff mixes great in oatmeal) and I just try and avoid the dairy (not altogether) but I don't eat it as much as I did. =o)
  • kistinbee
    Options
    I was dealing with this one...just recently! lol
    Is there something you're eating that causes you NOT to go?
    Like for me, if I have too much dairy I'm SO not going for a while!! lol
    So now I wake up and have a flax seed OIL pill, then have some flax seed sprinkled in my cereal (the ground stuff mixes great in oatmeal) and I just try and avoid the dairy (not altogether) but I don't eat it as much as I did. =o)

See....I don't really think there's anything that makes me NOT go. My metabolism was slow for years and I'd go like 2-3 times a week, which I read is actually quite normal. But I started eating healthy and working out and I became regular (once a day at least). So, now I don't know what's going on. I may have to try the flax seed oil. Maybe that will help. But I really don't have a lot of dairy. Who knows.
  • heyjuede
    heyjuede Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    i can't figure out for the life of me what possibly different i may be doing:sick: but i am really not fond of laxatives, they tend to be my last ditch effort. that pineapple sounds pretty good right now. it just boggles the mind how one can go from being "regular" to sometime next week i'll go lol. i am really pushing the water right now trying to make my body give it up already:drinker:
  • kistinbee
    Options
    i can't figure out for the life of me what possibly different i may be doing:sick: but i am really not fond of laxatives, they tend to be my last ditch effort. that pineapple sounds pretty good right now. it just boggles the mind how one can go from being "regular" to sometime next week i'll go lol. i am really pushing the water right now trying to make my body give it up already:drinker:

:laugh: Me too!!!...with the H2O that is!:laugh:
  • stephi92569
    Options
    Like some of the other gals, I have friends that swear that Activa works for them, but I also have a girl friend that drinks a cup of hot green tea every night and she swears that makes her go each morning. Might be something to look into. :ohwell:
  • kistinbee
    Options
    Like some of the other gals, I have friends that swear that Activa works for them, but I also have a girl friend that drinks a cup of hot green tea every night and she swears that makes her go each morning. Might be something to look into. :ohwell:

I was actually thinking about getting some green tea because I've heard it's really good for you. I will for sure try this one! Thanks!:flowerforyou:
  • kistinbee
    Options
    Should I really stay away from bananas and apples?? Anyone know?
  • katyk08
    katyk08 Posts: 302
    Options
    Increase your daily fiber..the recommended is actually 35-45mg/day! Try to include more fresh fruits and veggies.. this has helped me alot. Typical salads(iceberg, romaine) didnt really help but when I switched to mixed baby greens and added grapefruit and mixed fruit 2-3x/day to my daily foods this has helped alot!
  • Juliebean
    Juliebean Posts: 317
    Options
    Should I really stay away from bananas and apples?? Anyone know?

I would. I was always told that if you have the opposite of your problem (going too often...) that you should eat a banana, rice, or applesauce to slow things down.That being said, maybe lay off the 'nanas for a while and see if that helps.