Birthday cake....

Options
2»

Replies

• SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Ok, I totally have to share the adorable birthday card my husband and daughter got me today because it's relevant to this topic. lol

cakecard1.jpg

cakecard3.jpg
  • raven1114
    raven1114 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    i say go a head and have a small piece. i went to a friend's daughter's birthday party saturday and had a small piece of cake and was still a bit below my daily total at the end of the day. yes i ate other foods as well i just watched what i ate through the day.
  • raven1114
    raven1114 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Are you baking the cake? If so, there are ways to slightly improve the nutritional value. You could:

1) Replace 1/3 of the regular flour the recipe calls for with coconut flour (higher fiber, lower carb).
    2) Replace the oil the recipe calls for with applesauce.
    3) Replace part of the eggs the recipe calls for with egg whites.

But, even if you don't do this, there is no reason to beat yourself up for having birthday cake with your children! Just make sure you eat healthy protein and fiber-rich foods for your other meals (especially breakfast), and have a smaller piece of cake than you usually would. And drink plenty of water. The good meal(s) before hand will help keep your blood sugar stable, so you don't have a spike leading to more cake (and a downward spiral of cravings)!

i've used baby food in place of eggs in muffin mixes the same could probably be done with a cake. i usually use 1 4oz jar of baby food per box of muffin mix so 2-3 jars should be enough for a cake mix.
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Life is about the celebrations...! This is a lifestyle change and you can't avoid cake for the rest of your life. Eat a small piece, skip the ice cream, and plan ahead for it. Walk an extra 20 minutes or else just cut your calories somewhere else in your day. Even if you go over by 200 calories - it's your babies birthdays. Enjoy yourself!
    this! We have had a couple birthdays in our house the last month. Each time I celebrated and had a bite or two of cake and a spoonful of ice cream. A small piece wont sabatoge anything and having a sweet treat now and then is good for you. It makes you feel like you arent missing out on everything and will in the end prevent you from binging at a later date.

Enjoy and celebrate the day.
  • ngory07
    ngory07 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Ok, I totally have to share the adorable birthday card my husband and daughter got me today because it's relevant to this topic. lol

cakecard1.jpg

cakecard3.jpg

Too cute!!!!!
  • SusieB01
    SusieB01 Posts: 89
    Options
    You should eat it and learn how to count the calories. I know the feeling you're having. I 'had to go to' a birthday celebration this week. Sometimes one of the reasons I don't want to do things is because I don't know how to handle them. Don't feel guilty because you're human. Just be strong and don't let it get out of hand. Evidently quite a few people who are using this site have the same kind of 'problem' because there are several kinds of cake on here. Learn to handle cake and then you can look forward to your children's birthdays again. Unless cake is really a problem for you, and you can't stop eating it, I think you should go ahead and have it.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    Cakes are my weakness as well. I always have the best intentions to only have a "small" piece but then that turns in to sneaking and getting another and another. Cake and I are best left totally seperated.
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Enjoy a piece and the party. You deserve it too. Then, when throwing away the wrapping and cardboard and ribbon leftovers, throw away the rest of the cake too!. I find that very empowering to prove my ability to toss it. It will be better for your family's health too.
  • StabR80
    StabR80 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Well I doubt you will offend your children by not eating cake...I have 5 year old twins as well and they could care less if I eat cake, as long as they are eating it thats all that matters to them :) Do I personally turn dow cake? um no, had 2 pieces this weekend LOL. Your !7 year old is also old enough to understand why you may chose not to indulge.
  • mom2pne
    mom2pne Posts: 215 Member
    Options

cakecard1.jpg

cakecard3.jpg

That is so sweet! Pun intended. lol