Is it wrong to change an otherwise awesome doctor solely bec

Options
124»

Replies

• fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I don't get it. You're a paying customer, not their friend.

If you prefer the services of another professional or if you simply do not want their services anymore, you owe them no explanation.

Except she just said she was uninsured.....

Lots of doctors use a sliding pay scale for cash customers based on their ability to pay. They are quite common.

Fair enough. I know nothing about the US health system. We get it all for free.........
  • marber
    marber Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    The problem is that most people only successfully lose weight when they decide to. Not when the doctor tells them they should. Even with a health scare not everyone will try and lose weight. It is a sensitive issue and maybe your doctor was waiting for you to make the decision. Now you have you can talk to her and she can have the chance to advise you.
  • DoReMiFaSoLaTiDo
    Options
    - would you go to a beautician whose hair always looks a mess??

- would you buy shoes from a salesperson whose shoes were run over??

- would you buy a house from a banker in foreclosure??

my grandfather had a cardiologist who was well over 500 lbs....I had SERIOUS issues with that... how could you tell him how to care for his heart when you OBVIOUSLY weren't taking care of your own...

''nuf said...

there may be hypocrisy in the medical field but at least have enough business sense as well as concern for your patients to HIDE it... If my Dr smoked and I didnt see it, I was none the wiser..... If he smoked in the office, I would be OUT OF THERE!!
  • DoReMiFaSoLaTiDo
    Options
    An overweight doctor might have more experience with trying to lose weight than a thin one who has never struggled with their weight. She might not have brought up weight before because she might have figured that you were aware of your weight and she was trying to respect your intelligence. I know I have talked to friends who are overweight and it annoys them when their doctors bring it up, because they feel like, "duh, don't you think I can tell I'm overweight?!"

You never know how she will react unless you bring up the subject.

a Dr isnt supposed to respect my intelligence...
    in fact, most tell you to stop trying to be an internet medical professional ( using google to self-diagnose & self-treat) ....

My cousin is a doctor that smokes and she preaches to her patients about not smoking all day. I told her she was a hypocrite and she said that it is her job to tell folks about their health, not be a role model.

agreed
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I haven't read everyone's responses but - I'd say - just talk to her about your weight. Maybe it would be a slightly uncomfortable converstation (It shouldn't be - think of the things you talk about with your DR! :laugh: :laugh: nothing should be uncomfortable!) but it can give you an idea. If she is great don't write her off w/out giving her a chance to discuss or address it. BE SURE to ask her also why she never mentioned it to you. THEN make your decision. Don't do it because you are making assumptions about her, her reasoning, her ability to support or mentor you in what you need etc. You might end up moving to a very fit Dr who doesn't fit your other areas well.
  • lillyp123
    Options
    I would change doctors yes. If it makes you feel uncomfortable then its best for you to change. i would say that for any issue....not just weight! x
  • Starlage
    Starlage Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I would discuss it with her before changing ... see what kind of things that she says.
    I would agree to some extent that those people who are heavier and are not making attempts at weight loss likely do not know the tricks. However, how do you know she isnt working hard at it too in a different way?

I have seen alot of posts on here about people who get all bent out of shape when their doctor makes comments about their weight... and then I have seen posts from people who are mad that their doctor did not comments.

As a health care provider myself (NP) I actually just had a patient fire me because I dared mention that her over 300 lbs could have possibly contributed to her chronic pain, arthritis, and fibro. I did not say anything inappropriate, just questioned whether she thought that might be contributing? Hmmm

I'm an MA, I work with doctors for a living. I agree with the above- just talk to her about it at your next visit. It's not out of turn to ask her why she's never mentioned a problem with your weight or mentioned any of the health problems that can come with it. Most people DO get bent out of shape when doctors mention this so I wouldn't be surprised if that's why she doesn't. And like someone else said before, maybe you'll inspire her.

It really is hard to find a PCP that you meld well with, that you feel listens to you etc. If you're happy with her care in every other way just open the conversation. Like someone else said before- maybe you will inspire her :happy:
  • plcarpenter
    plcarpenter Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Ok, it depends if my Dr. was my OB/GYN I really wouldn't care. My general practice Dr. is also a sports medicine Dr. and believe me if he was overweight I would change. He understands if I have an injury, or if I want to talk about weight loss I know that he values being healthy and fit too so I would trust him. If you love your Doctor I would tell them that you would like to lose weight and if they could suggest a dietition (given that your insurance covers it) and see how that goes, or just see what they say. Oh, and what ever you do, do let them perscribe you weightloss medication.

Its not that simple. As a doctor shouldnt she have warned me about the dangers of my weight? Advised me to lose weight to prevent diabetes? If her own personal struggle affects how she advises me....shouldnt I change doctors?
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Its not that simple. As a doctor shouldnt she have warned me about the dangers of my weight? Advised me to lose weight to prevent diabetes? If her own personal struggle affects how she advises me....shouldnt I change doctors?

I will swim against the tide on this one and say switch doctors. If you are overweight and prediabetic your doctor has an obligation to bring it up to you. Not doing so is just negligent.
  • Shadowcasting
    Shadowcasting Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    It's not unusual for doctors not to bring it up because most of the time it is met with indignation and anger. If a patient doesn't bring it up, they likely don't want to hear about it. Can you imagine how often they'd get screamed at if they told every overweight patient that they were fat and needed to lose weight?

Knowing the right things to do and DOING the right things for weight loss are two different things. Just because she is overweight doesn't mean that she would not be a good resource.
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    you said you feel uncomfortable discussing weightloss. You need to feel comfortable talking about anything with your dr. If you don't maybe you should switch.
  • gomezdowns
    gomezdowns Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I was thinking the same thing! Tell her about your plans and you just might unconsciously inspire her! It's your body, your life, your the one whose in control and that's all that matters!
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    More importantly you should feel comfortable talking about ANYTHING with your doctor. If you can't do that then I would change doctors.