Tilapa help?

Options
LacieLamp
LacieLamp Posts: 109 Member
Sooo I just came from the grocery store with my cart full of healthy foods and I picked up Tilapa fish. I've heard good things about it but my problem is I have no idea how to cook it lol :blushing: any help would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• RaeannePemberton
    RaeannePemberton Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    had it last night. :)

use pam on your skillet, then season the fish (thawed) with your desired seasonings, and cook in skillet over medium to high heat until it's "flaky" white. flip it ever 3-5 min or so.. just watch it. i usually have to add more pam. i like to squeeze lemon juice over it while it's cooking. YUM.

i have also heard it cooks in microwave pretty well and you can broil it too.
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    You could just bake it plain with some salt, pepper and lemon juice.
    You could spray it with olive oil and sprinkle some bread crumbs and bake it.
    If you have panko batter you could batter it and bake it. You could deep fry it but I don't like it like that. Too fatty and kill the light flavor of the fish.

If you have a fish basket you could grill it. Don't know where you are, but not a good night to grill where I am at.

enjoy! :smile:
  • BrickHouse2011
    BrickHouse2011 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    simple and easy just seasonit. preheat your oven to about 400 and put it in the oven for about 10-20 minutes, depending on how you like your fish. i cook mine for about 20 minutes because i like it kinda dry. You can top it with a lil salsa if you like. I eat baked talapia almost everynight.
  • holly0623
    holly0623 Posts: 66
    Options
    I spray some spray butter on it, add salt and pepper, then microwave it. There's a fish button on my microwave so i just use that, it's about 5 min. When it's done, it's white and kinda flakey. Delicious!
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I use Pam in a skillet and sprinkle Mrs.Dash table seasoning on both sides. Yummy!
  • cocoavery20
    Options
    Asian aisle at the store has this bread krumbs that are wonderful to just throw the fish in after you dip it in beaten egg. You can then bake it and it comes out crispy, without being fried!
  • ktviall
    ktviall Posts: 1
    Options
    I love it on the grill with tin foil.. I usually spray the foil with olive oil spray then put lemon pepper and a little fresh squeezed lemon on it with a few ice cubes to keep it moist!! Good luck!!
  • PudgeMuffin200
    Options
    Season it with whatever you want and squeeze some orange juice on it and then leave some orange wedges on it. Bake it according to directions- until it flakes easily.
  • LacieLamp
    LacieLamp Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    WOW! Thats easy enough. Sounds like a great supper thanks!
  • FatUncleRob
    FatUncleRob Posts: 341
    Options
    Try this :

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Easy-Baked-Tilapia/Detail.aspx

You could substitute a tablespoon (or two) of olive oil for the butter.

Enjoy!
  • Khiyaemommy
    Options
    Lately I have been using the Forman grill for everything lol. I season it with lemon pepper and a little seasoning salt.
  • squeaktones
    squeaktones Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    you can soak it in a little low fat butter milk seasoned with some hot sauce and mrs dash then dip in in panko bread crumbs and bake it for 20 minutes in a 400 degree oven that has already been preheated. it's good. you can do it with chicken breast too. also you can take a piece of foil and spray it with pam and put the fish on it and then put a couple of lemon slices and your favorite seasoning on top and wrap it in a little packet and bake it in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes. you can also spray your oven pan and brush some fat free italian or fat free french dressing on it and bake it
  • canroadrunner
    canroadrunner Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Depends on how thick it is, put it in the 400 degree oven and bake it until it flakes and the flakes aren't clear.
    However, it's what you do after you cook it. When you have more time, try this salsa on top of it.

Mango-Grape Salsa with Cilantro & Lime

Makes 4 cups.
    Ingredients

2 ripe mangoes, peeled, pitted and diced (or use other seasonal fruit such as peaches or papaya if mangoes are unavailable)
    2 cups halved fresh seedless grapes
    1/4 cup minced red onion
    2 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
    2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice

Preparation

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve.

I make it in the early afternoon and let the flavours blend. I also don't refrigerate it because I like it room temp. You can put some jalapeno in it if you like it spicy. The tiny bit of red onion cuts the sweetness just enough and this is heavenly over the tilapia.

Enjoy
  • donicagalek
    donicagalek Posts: 526
    Options
    Bump

I've been meaning to get more fish in my diet. Ever notice how some people have a vomiting reaction to fish? My mother is one of those people so I never really had fish growing up. My husband was one of those people so I've not really had much as an adult. He's getting over it so I need to learn how to cook it. Found one recipe for "fish pie" that sounds decent but I would also like more recipes as frozen tilapia seems to be on sale *everywhere* this week. :-D
  • tiffanygil
    tiffanygil Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    It is sooo increadible diversital: I always cook it in a pan because its easier to control and you dont want it over cooked. Use pam and I had about 2 tablespoons of water and steam it once its about 1/2 way cooked just put a lid on the pan......

Use Cajun seasoning and pair it with corn tortillas sauteed onions and mushrooms for yummy tacos
    use Fat free ginger sesame seed salad dressing over the top and pair it with stir fry veggies
    Cook it -flake it and make tilapa cakes out of it by shredding celery and onions and a tablespoon of light mayo dill and lemon and pan searing it.

It really will take on the flavor of anything you want it too =)
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Try this :

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Easy-Baked-Tilapia/Detail.aspx

You could substitute a tablespoon (or two) of olive oil for the butter.

Enjoy!

this looks great! thanks!
  • MeliciousMelis
    MeliciousMelis Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I love tilapia. I mix some apricot jam with a little* bit of soy sauce and baste the fish with that while in a pan. SO YUMMY.
  • aeckels616
    aeckels616 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Whole foods has some lemon/herb seasoning for Tilapia that's great. I just put a filet in a pan with a TB or two of oil or butter (if you don't have the seasoning, add some pepper, salt, and lemon/lime juice) and just let it cook about 3 minutes on each side. Very fast and easy.
  • waverly9876
    waverly9876 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I take my tilapia and spray both sides with lemon juice. Then I put some oregano and some salt free spices. I then put a piece of low fat cheese and bake it for 15 min at 350. The cheese tastes AMAZING on it, and its under 200 calories :-)
  • heyitsmekatie
    heyitsmekatie Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    i like it baked in the oven with a wee bit of olive oil drizzled over the top and topped with chopped tomato, green pepper, onion, and olives -- plus salt and pepper. yummy!