Tilapa help?

Options

Replies

• MsScorpio67
    MsScorpio67 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Asian aisle at the store has this bread krumbs that are wonderful to just throw the fish in after you dip it in beaten egg. You can then bake it and it comes out crispy, without being fried!

I'm trying this...
  • LarryPGH
    LarryPGH Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Lightly dredge the tilapia in flour that's been seasoned with pepper (or your choice of seasonings).
    Pan fry the tilapia in a little oil.

Make some cole slaw and instead of slathering mayo on it, just put a little -- open up a jar of chipotles in adobo sauce, and use some of the adobe sauce in the slaw.

Take a flour tortilla, a tilapia filet and some slaw -- yum! easy-to-make fish taco!
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Simple and easy. Spray Pam on a pan. Lightly salt and pepper a filet. Take a pinch of parmesan cheese and sprinkle on each side. Cook about 3 minutes on each side. Mmmm.
  • sarahs440
    sarahs440 Posts: 405
    Options
    i sray some butter, season it, and put it in the microwave for 2 minutes. I also break up some cauliflower and put it around the filet, which is so yummy! Sometimes I top it with sauteed spinach. I eat this for lunch every day! Love it!
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I like them coated with panko breadcrumbs mixed with chopped parsley then baked!
  • JonnaGrace
    Options
    this is my favorite...OJ on it...yummy
  • 1113cw
    1113cw Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    I love it... usually just season the fish with Old Bay, lemon juice and a smidge of olive oil spray and bake for about 20 min.
    Such an easy and light fish.. you can season it with almost any flavorings you like!
  • droppin_lbs
    droppin_lbs Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Bump - yummy!!!
  • iamhealingmyself
    iamhealingmyself Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    bump- some great ideas on here!
    I only eat white fish and you can do many things with it.
    Bake
    Broil
    Sautee
    Poach
    Pan sear

Lemon butter
    Salt & Pepper
    Breaded or battered

I love it with a light fat free yogurt sauce - cook it 1-2 minutes on each side (depending on thickness) when almost done add a couple of tablespoons of a nice plain tart yogurt per filet and at least 1 tablespoon of milk to thin out. Mix together and spoon over fish during final cooking minutes. Can add parsley, oregano or any nice green herb if you like. Really a versatile mix but don't mix citrus and yogurt.

I often buy frozen fillets when on sale buy one get one free. I have even poached in the freezer pack they come in. Just add to boiling water for 1-2 minutes until it turns white. Remove from pkg, drain and add seasoning to taste. It really depends on what you like.
  • cariorliz
    cariorliz Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    bump

baked at 400 with sprinkled chili powder, garlic powder & lime juice....

that was dinenr!!!
  • ssweck
    ssweck Posts: 1
    Options
    Smoke it on the grill with a little lemon or lime juice!
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    One of my fave recipes for fish... including Tilapia.

http://www.mccormickgourmet.com/Recipes/Main-Dishes/White-Fish-Provencal.aspx
  • draya114
    draya114 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    The first time I ever cooked Tilapia I made Costa-Rican Style Tilapia.....it was delicious! My mom doesn't even like fish and she loved it. Here is the link: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ingrid-hoffmann/baked-costa-rican-style-tilapia-with-pineapples-black-beans-and-rice-recipe/index.html
  • Mad_Dog_Muscle
    Mad_Dog_Muscle Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    I won't eat ti
    Apia, not after seeing the episode of "worlds nastiest jobs" ,...... Tilapia are used to help clean the sewage treatment facilities. Nasty fish!
  • loro1971
    loro1971 Posts: 135
    Options
    i make tilapia and orange roughy all the time.... i spray pam in the bottom of a baking dish, place fish in dish. sprinkle with lawry seasoning salt and fresh ground black pepper..slice up either a half lemon or orange place slices on fish and drizzle a little orange juice over fish(i use tropicana trop 50,lower calorie) bake at 350 degrees till fish flakes easily with fork(20-25 min)tastes amazing!
    i also make a dish that you can use either tilapia or orange roughy or boneless skinless chicken breasts in... i slice zucchini and squash ..drizzle olive oil and season with either italian seasoning or fresh basil or whatever seasoning you prefer and then place either fish or chicken over and slice grape or cherry tomatoes in half and add more seasoning and bake 350 degrees..
    *** and cant wait to go camping and make ahead foil packets with fish and veggies over campfire!!! yummmmmm****
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    had it last night. :)

use pam on your skillet, then season the fish (thawed) with your desired seasonings, and cook in skillet over medium to high heat until it's "flaky" white. flip it ever 3-5 min or so.. just watch it. i usually have to add more pam. i like to squeeze lemon juice over it while it's cooking. YUM.

i have also heard it cooks in microwave pretty well and you can broil it too.

this. i love it in the skillet with some 0 cal butter and a little lemon.
    serve with some rice.
  • loro1971
    Options
    oh!! i almost forgot... i also sprinkle either taco or fajita seasoning on it and grill and make fish tacos....soft shell tacos....or wheat fajitas... grilled zucchini.. peppers onions mushrooms.. fresh salsa...ff sour cream... avacado..... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
  • loro1971
    Options
    oh!! i almost forgot... i also sprinkle either taco or fajita seasoning on it and grill and make fish tacos....soft shell tacos....or wheat fajitas... grilled zucchini.. peppers onions mushrooms.. fresh salsa...ff sour cream... avacado..... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
  • chelios7
    chelios7 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I love tilapia, you pretty much can't go wrong no matter how you make it. For me, I'm a simple guy, so I squeeze fresh lime juice on it and add some cilantro. Cover in foil, put on the grill. Simple, tasty.