Cool Tricks/Tips to Drink more Water?

Options
Hello Everybody,

I've been concerned about my water consumption. Ever since keeping this log, I've been able to notice my water intake. I have only been consumer an average of 2 - 3 cups a day. I have always had this problem, and I've noticed now, even with me working out the water consumer is still the same. :huh:

I would love to learn some tricks or cool tips on how to consume more water in a day.

What do you do? Any suggestions?

Replies

• mandamama
    mandamama Posts: 250
    Options
    I have this great water bottle http://www.gocontigo.com/autoseal-water-bottle-24-oz.html I always keep it within eye shot, and the great thing is, becuase of the way the spout pours I feel like just a couple swigs I get WAY more than I would drinking out of a glass. they sell them online, and I believe at costco. My gym sells them for $10 I find it helps me.
  • doitday
    doitday Posts: 59
    Options
    You're right! It is the best. I actually have one of the http://www.gocontigo.com/autoseal-water-bottle-24-oz.html.
    I'll take it out now - Thank you! :flowerforyou:
  • mjf0461
    mjf0461 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I wasn't drinking very much either, until I hit a plateau for over a month..Yes I said over a month not one pound lost nor inches.. I started reading up on things that I could do to change this. In this time I also spoke to a nutrienalist, who was looking over my food diary, and immediately told me I needed to up my proteins and lower the carbs and not worry about calories at this time. My working out was putting me in starvation mode big time. As a Paramedic/RN I know that if you take in alot of protein and don't drink water it's deadly to your kidneys. SO knowing this drinking water has no longer been a problem. I fill up 3 of the 32 oz Dasani bottles and I make sure and have one finished before noon, an the 2nd one before 4 and the last one before 8 p.m. Now sometimes I will add a slice of tangerine, lemon, piece of strawberry into the water just to give it a touch of flavor... But knowing that without the water intake you loss LESS weight helps me to drink it... It's a MUST.....
  • awelch79
    awelch79 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I fill a LARGE (25-30 oz)water bottle every morning and try to carry it around with me...but even if I dont, seeing it makes me remember to stop and take a swig! My goal is to drink 4 of them a day.. First thing EVERY morning, I gulp down one glass before my coffee...at least that gets me started.
  • rundgrenfan
    rundgrenfan Posts: 211
    Options
    I make a container of Crystal Light or iced tea and then put just a tiny bit of it in my water container, along with a slice of citrus. I started with a half (Crystal Light) and half (water) mixture and worked my way down to mostly water. I noticed at some point that I couldn't stand to drink full-sweet drinks anymore.
  • keri1292
    keri1292 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Since getting a Camelbak water bottle, my water intake has tripled. The bite valve makes it easier to chug away. I loved it so much that I got my hubby and three kids hooked as well. We don't go anywhere without our Camelbaks!

http://www.amazon.com/CamelBak-BPA-Free-Better-Bottle-Valve/dp/B0019DCD7U
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I keep a water bottle at my desk at all times.
    I take a 32 oz water bottle to the gym filled with my intra-workout drink. And always finish it before i leave.

I drink close to a gallon a day without any trouble.
  • rizorw
    rizorw Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this to. I have forund that if I drink from a bigger bottle it helps. I will get a 1 Liter bottle (4 Cups) to drink. I also drink at least 1 cup before I leave for work in the morning. This way at least I have drank 5 cups in a day. I try to go for more, I always have a second bottle ready, but it is hard.

The other trick I learned is to drink it as early in the day as possible. This way i am not going to the bathroom as much when I am super busy at home and as close to bed. (I hate getting up at night to go pee)

Good Luck!
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    If your issue is not really loving the taste of plain water, there's a few things you can add with negligible calorie increase. That way, it will be more like a treat than a chore.

1) fresh cucumber slices
    2) bruised up fresh mint leaves (the bruising will release the essential minty oils)
    3) lemon/lime wedges
    4) ginger root (this works especially well in hot water)

I drink a lot of herbal tea and as long as I don't add any sweeteners I count it towards my total for the day.
  • doitday
    doitday Posts: 59
    Options
    Wow, thank you! You all are wonderful..I will definitely start today. All of your tips and tricks were helpful and encouraging!!!