how long until you're used to less calories?

Options
cjwolfjen
cjwolfjen Posts: 323 Member
I've been at this for a couple weeks and I always feel like I'm starving.... Why? Will my body eventually get used to this? I'm eating 1800-2100 calories every day. Drinking only water. (Used to drink caffeine pop so is this why I'm also more tired?)

I am TRYING, but I am always feeling so hungry and its killing me. Also, does anyone know after how long should I alter my calorie intake and lower it so my weight will keep going down? I was told by a friend that her nutritionist told her that you should gradually lower your daily calorie intake as you continue losing the weight.

Don't get me wrong I'm feeling healthier already. But my energy levels are down and my hunger is SO often. When will my body accept this as the new normal?

Replies

• captainlindarg
    captainlindarg Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    What are you eating?
  • ppiinnkkmmoonn
    Options
    it took about 2weeks for me and i think it more of a mind thing too.
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it really depends on the quality of the calories. They call em empty calories for a reason :)
  • stephajo
    stephajo Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've had the same problem since i started a month or two ago..but i HAVE noticed that i'm starting to feel less hungry....working out also helps sometimes! I'm curious to know the answer to this as well though!
  • michelletyler38
    michelletyler38 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I've been at this for a couple weeks and I always feel like I'm starving.... Why? Will my body eventually get used to this? I'm eating 1800-2100 calories every day. Drinking only water. (Used to drink caffeine pop so is this why I'm also more tired?)

I am TRYING, but I am always feeling so hungry and its killing me. Also, does anyone know after how long should I alter my calorie intake and lower it so my weight will keep going down? I was told by a friend that her nutritionist told her that you should gradually lower your daily calorie intake as you continue losing the weight.

Don't get me wrong I'm feeling healthier already. But my energy levels are down and my hunger is SO often. When will my body accept this as the new normal?

It takes a LONG time. Probably not the answer you're looking for. I've been at this for over 6 months & still struggle everyday.
  • Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    It only took me a week but I completely changed my diet to lower calorie foods but was filling. Now I feel like I am constantly eating and rarely do I get "hungry". I am usually eating BEFORE i get hungry (2-3 hours).
  • weagle81
    weagle81 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I still get hungry too!!! But I also try to do a lot of exercise and not eat all of my calories back but if I want a snack I'll eat it and not feel guilty.. And somebody told me to eat food with lots of fiber it fills you up faster and longer!!
  • ratkaj
    ratkaj Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I was having the same issues until I took a look at what I was eating. The way this website works you can eat ANYTHING as long as it fits within your calories for the day... but not everything is going to keep you full with the calories it costs. My advise is to look at what you are eating and choose more low cal/low fat options in order to stretch your calories further.

Ex: I don't eat dessert any more... I eat cereal instead because it's half the calories and I can use those during the day for nuts and such to keep me full. Pistachios are AWESOME for that!!

Good Luck! :)
  • weagle81
    Options
    :wink:
  • missy1970eb
    missy1970eb Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    i think 4 me about a month, have had 4 weeks worth to see what calories r in what and then have mixed and matched
  • husker_gal
    husker_gal Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue too...I really had to up my intake of lean proteins to help curb the hunger pains.... they have almost completely disappeared now...Just be mindful of what you are eating (simple carbs over complex and amount of protein)
  • weagle81
    Options
    It only took me a week but I completely changed my diet to lower calorie foods but was filling. Now I feel like I am constantly eating and rarely do I get "hungry". I am usually eating BEFORE i get hungry (2-3 hours).

How do you get all that info on your posts???

"SW: 168 lbs
    G1: 155 lbs by Feb 28 --met- WOO HOO
    G2: 145 lbs
    G3: 135 lbs
    GW: 125 lbs

Last weigh in 4/1/11 147lbs "
    ???
    Sorry it's beside the point but I've been trying to find out
  • I_Got_This_23
    I_Got_This_23 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    It took me a long time to find, not only the right foods, but the right timing to make sure I didn't feel hungry all day. I tried eating small snacks throughout the day, believing it would keep my blood sugar stable and not trigger a hunger response. Yeah, that didn't work so well for me. Since I love eating a big dinner, I found it easier to drink coffee in the early AM, eat a small breakfast mid-morning, a small lunch mid-afternoon, and a Luna bar to tide me over until dinner. Dinner ends up being more than half my daily calories, but that Luna bar (or any protein bar) really help keeps my hunger at bay. It took me about a month before I found the right combo.
  • Tiana405
    Tiana405 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I still get hungry too!!! But I also try to do a lot of exercise and not eat all of my calories back but if I want a snack I'll eat it and not feel guilty.. And somebody told me to eat food with lots of fiber it fills you up faster and longer!!

go to message boards and on that main page... towards the top... you'll see "signature". click on that and voila! : )
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    A healthy diet will be based on whole grains (brown rice), lean protein, fresh fruits/veggies, healthy fats, complex carbs, and low fat dairy. Notice I didn't say how much, because it's up to you to decide what works best for you.

I took a quick peek at your diary: hope you don't mind. Here are a few swaps I would recommend:

rolled oats for cereal
    veggies for pretzels
    add in some fruit...didn't see a lot of it, or a lot of veggies for that matter

Feel free to take a peek at mine. I eat a lot of food and usually come in between 1600-1800 cals.
  • husker_gal
    husker_gal Posts: 462 Member
    Options

Yes! Fiber is awesome!!
  • pengwen1918
    Options
    I started six weeks ago, have lost 9 lbs. but I was totally starving and even feeling weak at times, think I am doing better now, not as starving, and of course depends on foods I eat, if I still have a fat free cappucino from wawa and a dunkin donuts egg, bacon, cheese croissant, now this will fill be until lunch time, if I go with 100 calorie snacks or portions, sometimes starving by lunch, and of course want to eat more. I never ate dinner before, now again starving. So I guess it is all how your body reacts to what foods. Everybody of course is probably different, have tried everything from baby food (low in sugars and sodium, some zero) to boiled eggs, and raisins. But long story short, for me not as hungry and if I am just add another 100 calorie snack, and another if needed, until I do not feel jittery. Hope some or any of this helps.
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    In my case? Never.

I don't care how much low calorie, high fiber, high protein, bigger quantity with healthier nutrition yada yada yada - I ALWAYS want to eat more, and the unhealthy stuff.

I just can't or don't let myself do it (most of the time) I always feel like I am hungry and can easily eat more - it's been almost 5 years since I started this healthier eating change and I'm still not used to it.
  • shelly650
    shelly650 Posts: 319
    Options
    I was always hungry at the beginning (1200 cals) but then i changed to eating 5-6 times a day instead of 3 and im never really hungry!! Works for me....maybe you should give it a try!!
  • lumos39
    lumos39 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    When you get hungry, eat something. What you eat, however, is important.

Try eating the following: Apple, Strawberries, Blueberries, Blackberries, Raspberries, Banana, Celery, Carrot, plum, pear, tangerine, grapefruit, or other fruits and vegetables.

You can eat A LOT of these foods and not use up too many calories. These provide a lot of bulk with only a few calories.

I like to eat Beef Jerky to keep me happy as well.