Anyone use the cybex arc trainer?

Options
I have been using this for a while now, I just increased my workout to 45 min. I go as fast as I can the entire time at a level 5 on one of the programs. I usually get a calorie burn of anywhere from 475 to 515. I weigh 138 lbs. Do you think this is accurate? It seems like a lot of calories. I should add that according the the HRM monitor on the machine, my HR is between 155-160
Thanks!

Replies

• pchann
    pchann Posts: 84
    Options
    I use the arc and I think your caloric burn is about right for your heart rate.
  • jamiefire7
    Options
    I use it as well and I believe it to be pretty accurate.
  • Shadowcasting
    Shadowcasting Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Our gym has a few but I've never used them. I take it you recommend it?? How does the movement feel compared to ellipticals?? I was afraid it would feel more awkward.
  • megano_d
    megano_d Posts: 37
    Options
    I love that machine! For context, I weigh about 188 (about 15lbs overweight for my height) and do 45 minutes at level 4 and the machine tells me I burn about 660 cals, but my heart rate monitor says 450. I dont know how much your smaller size would affect that calorie count, but this gives you at least something to do a comparison on. I noticed it does say it burns more calories than most machines.
  • MeliciousMelis
    MeliciousMelis Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I love the arc trainer- my burn/heart rate is always better/higher on the arc than an elliptical.
  • kswain04
    kswain04 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Great! I was hoping the calorie burn wasn't too good to be true :)
    I really like the machine...it doesnt hurt my knees like the treadmill does after a few weeks of running. I feel like a get a really good workout, even with my upper body. I already notice a difference in my arms. I am definately dripping with sweat and pretty gross after I am done.
  • mfottler
    mfottler Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi Everyone -

I just joined today. I work for CYBEX the company that makes the Arc Trainer. It really does burn more calories than other equipment. We have a bunch of research that proves it. You can always check out our website for more info...we have a whole website dedicated to the Arc! www.arctrainer.com

I'm happy to answer any questions if I can! Good luck...so great to have support of a community when we're trying to lose weight and get fit.

Thanks,
    Marybeth
  • Pstrayes
    Pstrayes Posts: 1
    Options
    I use the Arc Trainer every morning and I agree that it's an awesome workout. My Planet Fitness has a long row of them and they get a lot of use. I log it in MFP as Elliptical Trainer because nobody's entered the Arc calorie burn info. I'll check the official site to see if there's enough info to add it in.
  • longarmer
    longarmer Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I use cybex arc trainer at the Yand I like it. I know I had been logging in as Elliptical but I am going to log in as arc trainer. My trainer told me you get more of a workout on the arc trainer than the elliptical. I had both knees replaced in 2007 and tried the eliptical but the arc trainer is better for me.
  • pacmanjack
    pacmanjack Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Just found this topic.... I know it's old, but I still wanted to reply. I recently tried the Cybex 750AT Arc Trainer at my local Planet Fitness. I needed a break from the treadmill, and one of the employees recommended it as a tough workout that's a nice breakup from running.

She was right. It really worked my body. I've used it twice -- both times going 60 minutes on the "weight loss" program -- a basic interval program -- at a setting of 6 (it's a 1-10 setting range). Both sessions I finished at just around 1,000 calories burned, which is pretty close to the results I get running on a treadmill for 60 minutes at 6.0 mph at a 1.0 incline.

Just wanted to say I highly recommend it... Especially if you're a treadmill warrior whose knees and ankles are asking for a bit of a break.
  • babygurl48
    babygurl48 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Just found this topic. Didn't think anyone else used that machine. I do it all the time at my gym, Goodlife. In an hr, on the fat loss program I burn around 700-800 calories. With my HRM, it's a little lower cause it's programmed for me, but it's pretty close. Great workout! Love that machine!!!
  • sarahalbers32
    Options
    In 10 min using the weight loss program and I also enter my weight. By the end of the workout if I go all out I usually end up losing 500 calories!!! I have no idea if this is true?! Because it seems unrealistic
  • jconnon
    jconnon Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I do, I was lucky to find a refurbished one and bought it. I use it quite a bit. It's real heavy and took four of us to move it into my house.
  • beasleyskinner
    Options
    This machine is wonderful--been using it for over 5 years after my knees gave out--if you can work up to the higher intensity (strength) mode you can really see results!! Its hard to get used to at first but once you do --you'll love it! Burning about 600-700 calories in 30 minutes these days on (strength) level 3 ...this is an A** buster! Go for it!!!
  • PamelaKeebler
    PamelaKeebler Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the arc trainer. I've had surgery on both knees and have to be very careful with what I ask of them, but this machine has been the best option I've found for some high intensity cardio while still maintaining knee comfort. I can't recommend it enough.
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I have to agree the arc trainer gives me a much better workout than the elliptical. I usually do 30 mins of HIIT on it.
  • Stinkeymonkey
    Stinkeymonkey Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I used this for the first time today. Can someone tell about the heartrate monitor? I noticed there is a yellow, green, and red heart next to the heart rate. What should I be aiming for?
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I'll add to the agreeing that the calorie burn sounds right based off of my experiences with them. I love it because it's the only cardio machine that I can burn the same (or more) calories than running. Plus my legs really feel like they've been worked out after. No matter how hard I go on whatever resistance on ellipticals and bikes I never got the calorie burn up or that satisfying feeling in my legs that I actually did something. :)
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I love the arc trainer, when I am not or can't run, it's my go to cardio machine. It does calculate the calories burned a bit high, about 100-150 calories per 40-50 minute workout. I found that out after I got my HRM. Either way, it's still a better burn than any other cardio machine at the gym and I love it!
  • RoseRoiz
    RoseRoiz Posts: 95
    Options
    bump