Anyone use the cybex arc trainer?

Options

Replies

• vivekg
    vivekg Posts: 35
    Options
    This is research done to prove that arc trainer burns more calories then other similar machines. Maybe this might help you come to a conclusion.
    http://media.cybexintl.com/cybexinstitute/research/summaries/UWLAX_ARC_English.pdf
  • Masachapa
    Masachapa Posts: 79
    Options
    The Arc Trainer delivers a no-holds barred butt kicking workout!! It also makes a person's glutes look awesome in a very short length of time!!

If you want to hang out near all the "chatty cathys", use the treadmill at the gym. Want a serious, intense calorie burn? Use the Arc trainer.
  • wendyapple
    wendyapple Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    i use the arc also, usually at intervals around level 9, with resistance at high 70s and 45. i've correlated calorie burn with my hrm and found the arc to be a little high in estimates, so i'd shave a few cals off the number for accuracy.
  • DyanCB
    DyanCB Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone -

I just joined today. I work for CYBEX the company that makes the Arc Trainer. It really does burn more calories than other equipment. We have a bunch of research that proves it. You can always check out our website for more info...we have a whole website dedicated to the Arc! www.arctrainer.com

I'm happy to answer any questions if I can! Good luck...so great to have support of a community when we're trying to lose weight and get fit.

Thanks,
    Marybeth

Marybeth, I own a home version of the ARC. When I bought it I was simply looking for an elliptical trainer and was not thrilled with the extra $$$ for the ARC but, years on, I am THRILLED that this machine continues to deliver. Kudos to CYBEX! Incidentally I use the manual setting for high intensity interval training.
  • Jenn728
    Jenn728 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    This is my favorite machine! I "run" on it, keeping the stride and resistance levels low. It's easy on my joints and I burn crazy calories, I use a HRM and in about 45 minutes, I can burn 500 calories.
  • jenna_scott
    jenna_scott Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I use this machine all the time, it really works my glutes and legs, I have a bad knee and this does not bother it one bit. I do run a few times a week and hit classes but this is my go to work out. If I push myself on this machine (and I usually do) I am dripping sweat by the time I am done. There are times that I do not even record all the calories that it says I burn, like today I was on there for 45 minutes doing the weight loss program, I will say I was constantly getting the max speed message, and my HR was in the 170-180s most of the time it woud drop here and there but then I would push harder and boom it would be right back up in the 170's to low 180's and it said I burned 1130 calories. I logged 750 I cannot believe that burning 1130 calories in 45 minutesis even possible.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I just recently started using this machine. I love it. This is definitely my new favorite.
  • robcond
    robcond Posts: 1
    Options
    I just joined planet fitness and tried the arc yesterday night. At first I thought it was just some fancy "gazelle" machine but now that I tried it I love it, way harder than elliptical I feel like I get a better workout. I know because I could only do 30 minutes.
  • littlebrittle11
    Options
    I tried it as a quick warmup....kind of just to feel it out. Seems very awkward and couldnt get a rythm at all. Seemed like after a minute or 2 i would lose my groove and have to get back into it. Anyone else have this problem? Or tell me what i may be doing wrong so i can make it go smooth. I was on it for 5 minutes and the next day everything was sore! I really want to like this machine as i know the workout would be crazy calorie burning. thanks guys/gals!
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    When I was using the ARC trainer I would alternate between level 5 and 10 in two minute intervals and keep my heart rate between 155-160. I'm female, 5'5", 33, was around 150lbs and I'd burn an average of 100 calories per 10 minutes. So a 45 minute session would have me right around 450 calories burned, according to my Polar HRM.

I do love the ARC trainer and actually miss it. I've been coaching three people through Couch to 5K and haven't been able to really have my own workout schedule for a few months. Hoping that once they all finish, I'll be able to release them into the wild of running on their own a few nights so I can get back into my own workout schedule. :)
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I LOVE that thing! My first time on it was difficult, though; I think I lasted 10 minutes.
    I always log it as an elliptical because I couldn't find ArcTrainer in the database. I wouldn't mind if I'm burning even more calories than MFP thinks!

Did you know that it was invented by sports medicine doctors to rehab knee injuries?
  • katmae24
    katmae24 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This machine is a KILLER. I don't think enough people use it - or else everyone would be on them! They are GREAT! I'm a hardcore runner (usually run 60 mile weeks) and sometimes I need a little change up in my routine (or if I have pain) and my local Planet Fitness has the Cybex ARC trainer with the moving arms. I have seen two types of ARC trainers at the Planet Fitness': ones that move your arms (total body) and ones that have you hold on to the bars on the sides and only move your legs.

I think in looking at calorie expenditure, it depends which one of these machines you are using. I have used both. The ARC trainer that only moves your legs is a SUPER hard workout - but I have yet to compare the calories burned to the full-body (arm moving) one. My local Planet Fitness has the full-body one, and it's the BEST workout. You literally can feel every single muscle in your body moving; arms, back, abs, thighs legs - you name it. Your entire body is flowing in the air in motion (versus the one with just your legs and holding on to the sides).

I've found that the full-body is the only machine that gives me the "tiredness" like running. I get just as sweaty and feel the need to be gulping for air - just like when I'm running at a really good clip. I'd even say that the full-body ARC would work your upper body MORE than running, just because you have to take the added resistance into account.

When I go on the ARC, I ramp the incline to 5 (you feel like you are doing high knee kicks in the air) and then I bump the resistance level up to 35. At these levels, I feel the burning my lungs like I do when I run, and I feel like I'm running just the same, but without the impact. When I joined my local gym - there was a lady who used the full-body Cybex ARC trainer every single day, like clockwork - and she was on it from 9AM - 11:30AM straight. I have no idea HOW she could handle that long on the machine (and she was doing a resistance level of 45, too!!!) and she was RIPPED. RIPPED. I happened to see her when I would run on the treadmills (which were set behind the ARC trainers) - and you could see how the ARC trainer used all her muscles while she moved (she had a tank top on). Just seeing her results was enough to push me to try the machine out.

It's a great, killer machine. I would not doubt it burns as much calories as it says (as long as you are inputting your correct weight at the start of the program on the machine) - because you are adding in the incline AND the resistance - as well as all the movement. I think that is why this machine burns so much more - you really are literally moving every single muscle in your body. I have also found that you have to make sure you don't "slow" down and keep your heart rate up - some gals will read a book while they are on it - and you can tell that by being a little distracted - they aren't keeping up the intensity. Just like an elliptical, you really have to keep it going at a good clip - and make sure the resistance is high enough that if you slow to a stop - the machine STOPS. You don't want the momentum of the machine to be doing the movement for you. You need to be working the machine.

Another thing to keep in mind with the Cybex - the distance may be a bit unnerving. If you compare the Cybex to an elliptical - you seem to be able to go "farther" on an elliptical than on the Cybex. Since I ramp up the incline and the resistance - in 20 minutes, I only go a mile. On an average elliptical - I can do about 9 minutes to 1 mile. So - just keep in mind that if you are a distance person (and with me being a runner - I am) - you can't let the mileage on the Cybex get to you.

On the Cybex - it's about intensity (resistance) and duration. The longer you are on it - the more you sweat. It's not about "how far" in a mileage sense.

Hope this helps! Love this machine!

(Also - to those who have tried working out on it - and cannot get a good "rhythm" - I recommend playing with the settings - intervals, hills - different inclines (or lowering the incline if it feels too "goofy" - and making the resistance higher...and slow down a bit. Play with the settings. It does feel goofy at first - but lowering the incline to 1-2 (or even zero) may help that goofy feeling. It feels like cross-country skiing!)
  • CarlieeBear
    CarlieeBear Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I didn't realize this wasn't an elliptical. I love it! The first time or two I tried it, I wasn't impressed. I felt like I needed to push myself or it was too easy. Then I tried the "hills" workout and loved it. It has more of a stepping motion for part of the workout and I like that motion, plus the variety of strides that program gives me.

Plenty of people at my gyms trudge on these...slow pace, don't seem to be working all that hard. It seems to me that you can work as hard or as wimpy as you want. I don't know if I look like I'm trudging at level 7, but I know I'm sweating and breathing hard! I'm 47 until Monday, weigh about 210 and typically get 300+ for 20 minutes at level 7.

I just wish the total body ones at my one gym had working HR monitors. I use the HR to make sure I'm pushing myself hard enough. So, I'm thinking of getting an HR monitor. After reading a blog here about how they calculate calories, I'm not sure I'll spend the extra for that feature.
  • Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I have been using this for a while now, I just increased my workout to 45 min. I go as fast as I can the entire time at a level 5 on one of the programs. I usually get a calorie burn of anywhere from 475 to 515. I weigh 138 lbs. Do you think this is accurate? It seems like a lot of calories. I should add that according the the HRM monitor on the machine, my HR is between 155-160
    Thanks!

Try a cross reference with this calculator.
    http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx

according to the data you posted, if you really are averaging 155 bpm.:

At a heartrate of 155 bpm, or 83% of your estimated maximum heartrate (186 bpm), your calorie burn is an
    estimated 621 calories per hour. In 45 minutes and 0 seconds you will burn approximately 466 calories.
  • 1weights
    1weights Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Great equipment !!!!!!!!!
  • WWright0611
    WWright0611 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    how to the arcs feel on ankles? i had a partial tear of peroneal tendon and was in boot for 8 wks. fortunately, no surgery so far.
    i do get some pain at times on treadmill. how does this compare to strain on ankles?
    thanks
  • pcdoctor01
    pcdoctor01 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone -

I just joined today. I work for CYBEX the company that makes the Arc Trainer. It really does burn more calories than other equipment. We have a bunch of research that proves it. You can always check out our website for more info...we have a whole website dedicated to the Arc! www.arctrainer.com

I'm happy to answer any questions if I can! Good luck...so great to have support of a community when we're trying to lose weight and get fit.

Thanks,
    Marybeth

Can we get a MFP group discount? LOL! Welcome to the forum!
  • CarlieeBear
    Options
    I tried it as a quick warmup....kind of just to feel it out. Seems very awkward and couldnt get a rythm at all. Seemed like after a minute or 2 i would lose my groove and have to get back into it. Anyone else have this problem? Or tell me what i may be doing wrong so i can make it go smooth. I was on it for 5 minutes and the next day everything was sore! I really want to like this machine as i know the workout would be crazy calorie burning. thanks guys/gals!

Try one of the programs. I use the hills and strength programs. They don't slide back and forth as much as just using the default. I just started using the strength after lifting and am loving it. I typically do 20 min on hills, lift, then 20 min of strength. Today, I was short on time so just did 10 min on strength (173 calories). I usually burn around 300 cals in 20 min on it.
  • CarlieeBear
    Options
    Excellent post! I really appreciate your comments on distance. I'd noticed that the elliptical I use on occasion gives me crazy mileage. That explains it.

Does anyone know how the resistance settings compare with an elliptical? Also, is it proper form to keep your upper body level? Does it mess with the calories burned if you don't?

I don't know how it is with ankles, but I hardly ever have heel pain (from plantar fascaitis) on the arc, but I do on the treadmill.

This machine is a KILLER. I don't think enough people use it - or else everyone would be on them! They are GREAT! I'm a hardcore runner (usually run 60 mile weeks) and sometimes I need a little change up in my routine (or if I have pain) and my local Planet Fitness has the Cybex ARC trainer with the moving arms. I have seen two types of ARC trainers at the Planet Fitness': ones that move your arms (total body) and ones that have you hold on to the bars on the sides and only move your legs.

I think in looking at calorie expenditure, it depends which one of these machines you are using. I have used both. The ARC trainer that only moves your legs is a SUPER hard workout - but I have yet to compare the calories burned to the full-body (arm moving) one. My local Planet Fitness has the full-body one, and it's the BEST workout. You literally can feel every single muscle in your body moving; arms, back, abs, thighs legs - you name it. Your entire body is flowing in the air in motion (versus the one with just your legs and holding on to the sides).

I've found that the full-body is the only machine that gives me the "tiredness" like running. I get just as sweaty and feel the need to be gulping for air - just like when I'm running at a really good clip. I'd even say that the full-body ARC would work your upper body MORE than running, just because you have to take the added resistance into account.

When I go on the ARC, I ramp the incline to 5 (you feel like you are doing high knee kicks in the air) and then I bump the resistance level up to 35. At these levels, I feel the burning my lungs like I do when I run, and I feel like I'm running just the same, but without the impact. When I joined my local gym - there was a lady who used the full-body Cybex ARC trainer every single day, like clockwork - and she was on it from 9AM - 11:30AM straight. I have no idea HOW she could handle that long on the machine (and she was doing a resistance level of 45, too!!!) and she was RIPPED. RIPPED. I happened to see her when I would run on the treadmills (which were set behind the ARC trainers) - and you could see how the ARC trainer used all her muscles while she moved (she had a tank top on). Just seeing her results was enough to push me to try the machine out.

It's a great, killer machine. I would not doubt it burns as much calories as it says (as long as you are inputting your correct weight at the start of the program on the machine) - because you are adding in the incline AND the resistance - as well as all the movement. I think that is why this machine burns so much more - you really are literally moving every single muscle in your body. I have also found that you have to make sure you don't "slow" down and keep your heart rate up - some gals will read a book while they are on it - and you can tell that by being a little distracted - they aren't keeping up the intensity. Just like an elliptical, you really have to keep it going at a good clip - and make sure the resistance is high enough that if you slow to a stop - the machine STOPS. You don't want the momentum of the machine to be doing the movement for you. You need to be working the machine.

Another thing to keep in mind with the Cybex - the distance may be a bit unnerving. If you compare the Cybex to an elliptical - you seem to be able to go "farther" on an elliptical than on the Cybex. Since I ramp up the incline and the resistance - in 20 minutes, I only go a mile. On an average elliptical - I can do about 9 minutes to 1 mile. So - just keep in mind that if you are a distance person (and with me being a runner - I am) - you can't let the mileage on the Cybex get to you.

On the Cybex - it's about intensity (resistance) and duration. The longer you are on it - the more you sweat. It's not about "how far" in a mileage sense.

Hope this helps! Love this machine!

(Also - to those who have tried working out on it - and cannot get a good "rhythm" - I recommend playing with the settings - intervals, hills - different inclines (or lowering the incline if it feels too "goofy" - and making the resistance higher...and slow down a bit. Play with the settings. It does feel goofy at first - but lowering the incline to 1-2 (or even zero) may help that goofy feeling. It feels like cross-country skiing!)
  • cocolo89
    cocolo89 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I use it at the gym as well! calorie burn sounds accurate!