can someone please critique my diary?

Options
would like some constructive criticism :p

be gentle..... lmao

Replies

• Amy62575
    Amy62575 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Not to be a smartass, but you have a lot of quick add calories - those are hard to critique. LOL
  • MeganH81
    MeganH81 Posts: 38
    Options
    kinda hard to do that when it's not filled out very well... only you know what your "Quick Add-Calories" are.
  • chefchazz
    chefchazz Posts: 427
    Options
    what they said. check out others diaries for a better idea on balancing your food groups. good luck!
  • mariapuhl
    mariapuhl Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    You a lot of times use "quick add calories" so I have no idea what you're eating then.

I also see virtually NO vegetables. At all.

While you are staying in your calories, you're eating junk. Like the beef and been burrito. You could make one at home for less calories that is a LOT healthier.

I bet if you turned on the sodium counter as well, your sodium would be through the roof.

I'd say definitely throw in a LOT more veggies, they'll allow you to eat more overall and they're tons healthier.

That's just my quick look at it, since you don't have too many days logged.
  • melissamauney
    Options
    Well I agree with the others who commented on the quick add cals. And I don't see very many fruits or veggies.You might want to up that. And I seen a couple of missed meals. I don't know if you just didn't put those in or you just didn't eat.You need to make sure you eat every meal.
  • jsteras
    jsteras Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Where are your veggies and fruit? I would also add in sodium to watch that, with the amount of processed food you are consuming your sodium intake is probably really high. I think you would do better to eat a healthy meal and forgo the weight loss shakes. Just my opinion:) Oatmeal and fruit or eggs and a slice of whole wheat bagel or toast would keep you fuller longer. Nuts are another good source of protein, fiber,and keep you fuller longer.
  • shander7
    shander7 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I agree, I would definitely start tracking your sodium, you'd be surprised how much is in some food! I know I definitely was! Try adding more fruits and veggies, you'll be able to eat more of them for fewer calories. Also, tracking sugar might be helpful as well.

It seems like you're new so I'm sure you'll get the hang of it as you explore the site and everything! Good luck! :)
  • andreae13
    andreae13 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    It seems like you eat A LOT of process foods....where are your fruits and veggies? Also just by looking at the foods your sodium levels have to be through the roof! I would try to get a protein, fruit/veggie and carb in at every meal and aim for 5-6 small meals a day. This keeps your metabolism and blood sugar levels even through out the day so you aren't hungry. As my trainer says, you want to eat foods that are as close to natural as possible...meaning, can you pick it out of a tree or in the ground.
  • mirna_ayala0428
    mirna_ayala0428 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • rodegghero
    rodegghero Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Cut the weight loss shakes and replace with fruit and veggie rich meals
  • Soon2Bfitmamaof3
    Soon2Bfitmamaof3 Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    You a lot of times use "quick add calories" so I have no idea what you're eating then.

I also see virtually NO vegetables. At all.

While you are staying in your calories, you're eating junk. Like the beef and been burrito. You could make one at home for less calories that is a LOT healthier.

I bet if you turned on the sodium counter as well, your sodium would be through the roof.

I'd say definitely throw in a LOT more veggies, they'll allow you to eat more overall and they're tons healthier.

That's just my quick look at it, since you don't have too many days logged.

Exactly what I was going to say, very well put!
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    Honestly at 230 calories for a diet shake you aren't getting much else out of that and are probably still hungry. You could easily replace that 230 calories with a fairly large salad (limited dressing), a banana and an orange - much more nutrients and probably less calories.
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    Agreed with everyone else, it is hard to critique it if we don't know what you are eating with the quick add calories. Also it looks like you are in the habit of skipping at least one meal a day, which I personally wouldn't recommend that. I would recommend eating smaller meals or meals and snacks more often. Personally I eat about every 2 hours and I can tell the difference. Get rid of the processed foods and weight loss shakes and eat 'cleaner' more fruits and veggies. Maybe instead of weight loss shakes try a protein shake like after you work out or for a snack.
  • MeganH81
    MeganH81 Posts: 38
    Options
    Well, lemme use this day for example....

**weight loss shake with some bread (no yogurt, fresh fruit)

**tuna with a rice krispie treat (where's the bread, carrot sticks, mixed fruit cup?)

**mashed potatoes (That's not a meal at all... Where's your baked chicken, green beans, cottage cheese)

** chocolate covered peanuts and oatmeal cookies (I don't know what to say about this)
  • SimplyDeLish
    Options
    Weight Loss shakes need to go...follow the old adage "never drink your calories". I also noticed lots of cookies...maybe 1 instead of two. Add fruits and veggies and lean meats. Never "quick add" calories - you are looking for calories and nutrition information from your diary. Also, I saw some skipped meals - a no no when trying to get healthy. Any long-term plan is a lifestyle. Decide healthy is the lifestyle and eat accordingly. Good Luck - you can accomplish your goals!
  • Amy62575
    Options
    Joking aside -

I agree with the others - more fruits, veggies, salads need to be added. If you are pressed for time (weight loss shake) you can pick up some protein bars, like Power bar, Balance, or drinks like Muscle Milk lite or Myoplex lite. If you have time to make your own shakes, you can buy whey or soy powder protein at GNC. Walmart also carries some good brands cheaper like EAS.

Also, greek yogurt, cheesesticks (Borden and Sargento make good ones) and almonds make for good quick snacks on-the-go. I would definitely steer clear of the Patio burritos, they are LOADED with sodium and I'm surprised they don't make your belly :sick: hurt.

Good luck!:bigsmile:
  • Amy62575
    Options
    And where's your water? Do you drink it and not log it?
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    Just thought i'd give you an example of what one of my days looks like:

Breakfast: Cheerios with 1% milk and fruit

Snack: Greek Yogurt or fruit

Lunch: Sandwich - low sodium lunch meat, light whole wheat bread, 2% milk cheese, light mayo, lots of lettuce or sprouts with a pickle spear on the side. (I know pickles have a lot of sodium)

Snack: Celery & Carrot sticks with hummus

Dinner: Chicken breast (baked) with a salad and fat free Italian dressing

Dessert: Sugar free pudding cup with strawberries and fat free whipped cream

That comes to right around 1200 calories and I am never hungry because I am eating all day.
  • Natalie0506
    Natalie0506 Posts: 163
    Options
    I'm with everyone else. While you are staying within your calories, you're eating crap food. You aren't fueling your body...you're just eating whatever is convenient. You need to be eating mostly fruits, veggies, and lean protein. Some whole grains, some carbs.
  • qbanyto
    qbanyto Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    sorry for the delay guys...

i drink LOTS of water alllll daayyy. i COMPLETELY forgot that i'm able to log that in lol

the shakes are working for me VERY well. they fill me up for hours and are low in calories (for a shake anyways)

i have never eaten and prolly NEVER will eat vegetable since i don't like them. no matter how i tried them. never needed them either. i tried salads and vegetables every which way and simply got tired, bored and annoyed by trying them. wasted too much money trying to like vegetable. so thats out the window.

fruits are ok. i can have an orange here and apple there. or a banana. i don't like them RAW, i prefer them blended. i usually just have coconut water since its better and has electrolytes and more potassium than 2 bananas per bottle.

i should of posted this question next week. this week i kinda half assed it since i'm not prepared for this lifestyle THIS WEEK. i kinda just "jumped" on this diet when i found the app on my iphone a few days ago, so it was one of those "Spontaneous revelations" lol

with that being said, i'm proud of myself since i havent touched or even looked at soda for about a month now (i was an EXTREME soda addict and even got kidney stones from it). also i know so far its pretty half assed, but i'm staying withing my caloric limit which is something i never thought possible. trust me guys i was a wreck compare to this.

note about my salad issue:

when i WAS in shape i didn't touch one leaf. or vegetable. yet i was fit and super healthy (said so by my doctors and bloodtests)

you don't NEED vegetables to be healthy. i know thats blasphemy to %98 ogf human population, but the fact is, when i would try vegetable and realized i didnt like them, i would get upset and get demotivated thinking i would never be healthy simply cause i'm not eating vegetables. HOWEVER, when i stop caring what ppl say about vegetables and just found another healthy route (lean meats, some fruits, etc) i start getting lean, muscular and fit.

thank you all for your advice tho, i just don't want the whole "eat your veggies speech" cuz i've heard it a trillion times and quite frankly its caca to me :)

but yes that burrito would of been healthier and would o tasted better. thanks again guys!

you guys ROCK!