Foods to Beware!

Options
One thing I love about this program is really seeing the calories in some of the foods I eat. So I had a potato knish yesterday, and whoa is it bad for you! Of course I knew it wasn't healthy, but I was still surprised. 214 calories 112 from fat. 19% of the daily fat and 20% of cholesterol! Ok, I'm going to put this food in the rarely eaten cheesecake category. The other day I had a mojito instead of wine. The mojito has 3 times as many calories!! I always knew that wine was the best alcohol of choice when it came to liquor, but now I'm NEVER getting mojitos if I can. Before it would have been an occassional option.

Has anybody else been surprised by just how bad some of the foods you were eating before are for you?

Replies

• thyme31
    thyme31 Posts: 5
    Options
    One thing I love about this program is really seeing the calories in some of the foods I eat. So I had a potato knish yesterday, and whoa is it bad for you! Of course I knew it wasn't healthy, but I was still surprised. 214 calories 112 from fat. 19% of the daily fat and 20% of cholesterol! Ok, I'm going to put this food in the rarely eaten cheesecake category. The other day I had a mojito instead of wine. The mojito has 3 times as many calories!! I always knew that wine was the best alcohol of choice when it came to liquor, but now I'm NEVER getting mojitos if I can. Before it would have been an occassional option.

Has anybody else been surprised by just how bad some of the foods you were eating before are for you?
  • Melroxsox
    Melroxsox Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    lol yes....almost everything. I've cut down almost all of processed foods. I feel much better since cutting out those kinds of foods. ..(well I've been extremley busy w/ work the last 2 weeks but Im BACK! YAY!) I have been trying to stick to holistic foods...so mostly GREEN:) and homegrown at that lol which keeps me even busier. My problem is Time Management.....There's just too much to do!
  • Tizz
    Tizz Posts: 38
    Options
    YES!! I used to make an totally chunky tomatoe sauce with ground beef and cheese!

Plus a plate full of pasta(not even whole wheat)

When I think back I cringe
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Raising 9 kids on a shoestring budget, it's IMPOSSIBLE to avoid boxed/frozen/canned foods. "Healthy" foods are so expensive, and thus must be limited. I've had to stick mostly to cereals for my meals and snacks in between pay periods. The "good" stuff is bought in small amounts on payday, and we all gobble it down. Still this website is such a blessing for me to stay on top of the calories I eat, and it has been a tremendous help!