Saving this info
  • mishelnkiki
    mishelnkiki Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • CricketKate
    CricketKate Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting! I have been very interested in trying this. I think I will have to check out your diary. It sounds confusing to me.
  • newmeat30
    newmeat30 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • CommittohealthCHANGED
    CommittohealthCHANGED Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • pinme13
    pinme13 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Obviously this is healthy, but it's not the first time I've heard of this concept. In my early 20's I would go to Ana/Mia boards for dieting tips (I was morbidly obese and nothing was working - I was going hardcore) and a lot of them went by the 2-4-6-8 Diet. X-(

Day One - 200 calories
    Day Two - 400 calories
    Day Three - 600 calories
    Day Four - 800 calories
    And repeat...

After I saw 95 pound girls actually DO this I felt so bad for using that board to drop weight. :-/ Good to know that there's a healthy way out there to do this.

Is the 200, 400, 600, 800 the amount of calorie deficit each day?
  • pinme13
    pinme13 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    So I reset my weight goal to lose 1lb per week and it set my calories at 1340 so what is my max and my minimum calorie intake?
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Obviously this is healthy, but it's not the first time I've heard of this concept. In my early 20's I would go to Ana/Mia boards for dieting tips (I was morbidly obese and nothing was working - I was going hardcore) and a lot of them went by the 2-4-6-8 Diet. X-(

Day One - 200 calories
    Day Two - 400 calories
    Day Three - 600 calories
    Day Four - 800 calories
    And repeat...

After I saw 95 pound girls actually DO this I felt so bad for using that board to drop weight. :-/ Good to know that there's a healthy way out there to do this.

Is the 200, 400, 600, 800 the amount of calorie deficit each day?

it's based on anorexia and bulimia. short answer is no. it's the total intake for the day.

nice post OP
  • slainger
    slainger Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    thanks for the description, I was telling someone about this method but really couldn't describe it properly.
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    bump
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    Ok…this is similar to the second phase of the diet I am doing. It is supposed to cause metabolism confusion, which keeps it up. Thanks for posting this! :)
  • unhinge
    unhinge Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Bump :)
  • KimDis
    KimDis Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I've read a bit about caloric cycling - thanks for making it a bit easier to understand.

Wondering if this also may explain why we sometimes lose more on the weeks we've had a not so good day or two. I'd always cringe in front of the scale for a weigh-in and then go "huh?" when I lost as much if not more...
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    bump so this i son my topics
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    One thing I want to make clear is that the lower your caloric intake the less wiggle room you have to work off of. I have a daily intake of 1940 cals to work from and that is why I was able to do the 300 extra on days 1 and 2 then back to maintenance on day 3. If you have a very low intake of 1200 for women and 1500 for men then you do not have hardly any wiggle room for caloric cycling, as dipping below 1200 is not advisable, and 90% of us out there really should not be on a super low intake like that as you will lose muscle if you are not careful (and I do mean really careful) on what you are taking into your body. I have easily lost fat and continue to do so because I feed my body right with a clean diet, lots of veggies, fruits, and lean meats with a bare minimum of processed foods. This is why I advocate eating healthy/clean it removed nearly every obstacle for fat loss from the body. Fat loss should be something you approach from a health perspective, eating the minimum will not get you the best results despite what many have said in the past. The whole point of the cycling is to confuse the metabolic rate keeping it high while reducing caloric intake. So please, please make sure that you are taking care of your body and not starving it of what it needs. I have received many emails from men and women asking me if they can do the -300 cals on day 1 and 2, and when I look over their intakes with them they can not do that much because their intakes are so low. So here is one example I will post so that you can see what I advised one man/woman to do on different intakes:

Woman: caloric intake 1400 set at a 1 lb/wk loss
    days 1 & 2 1250
    day 3 1900 (maintenance level)
    repeat

Now see in her case a 1250 intake was the lowest I recommended because she had a good diet, rich in veggies/fruits/lean meats. Her biggest problem was drinking her calories with starbucks coffee. So she ditched the high calorie coffee for some honey/cinnamon in it instead. She has lost an additional 6 pounds this way in the last 4 weeks.

Man: caloric intake 1600 cals set at a 1 lb/wk loss
    Days 1 & 2 1500
    Day 3 2100

In this man's case he was already set at a low intake (was much to low in my opinion but this was what he was set on) so he tried this and it did not work as well for him. So after a week and a half of emails back and forth I convinced him to raise his intake for a week. On the week he did he dropped 2 pounds as compared to the 0.6-0.7 pounds he normally lost. We had tweaked his diet and got him on track, now he is up to 1800 cals a day and losing steadily.

So I want all of you to make sure that you listen to your bodies, use common sense and not apply this in the wrong way and use it as another useful tool to help shed fat when applied correctly. You do not need to change your daily intake goal at all, just have the deficit left over on day 1 and 2 and then go over on day 3. I still do this and am in the last 10 pounds range now.
  • soccermum75
    soccermum75 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Great post!
  • mckant
    mckant Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Great info! Thanks.
  • kcmurray
    kcmurray Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    save