Yucky greek yogurt!!

Options
13»

Replies

• lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I really like Skyr! It's traditional Icelandic yogurt but nutritionally very similar to Greek yogurt- tons of protein. I can unfortunately only find it in Whole Foods but it is delicious!

that's a kind of very fresh cheese isn't it? i found a recipe for that, sounds like something i could make myself:

http://www.simnet.is/gullis/jo/Miscellaneous.htm
  • TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I really like Total 0% fat Greek yoghurt. Lovely and creamy, and very fresh-tasting. Also excellent in curries!
  • traceybett
    traceybett Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I've tried several brands of Greek and didn't like any of them. I'm not a picky eater either normally (obviously )
    anyway
    I've decided to use my normal American light in moderation and get the protein somewhere else.

Just my two cents. Not into thick yogurt I guess.
  • SugaDumplin
    Options
    Forgot the name brand I use, but I buy it a Krogers, and its in a big white tub.

I buy the plain and then add whatever fruits, nuts, granola etc. in it. I use it instead of sour cream too.
  • racergirl1991
    racergirl1991 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I tried the Dannon and it was horrible....at least I thought so. Way to thick for me and it had a strange taste...like the strawberry was fake. Not sure, just didnt like it!!
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Fage Greek yogurt! I think everyone who said it was gross, should give this brand a try! The fruit comes seperate on the side, you just put a little onto each spoonful. So good! And they have awesome flavors like cherry pomegranate and stawberry goji. YUM!
  • AKosky585
    AKosky585 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Right now I am addcited to Chobani. They don't sell the plain here though, so I have to get the kind with the fruit. It is so yummy though.

Oikos is pretty good too...although twice as expensive.

Have not tried any others...
  • Noctuary
    Noctuary Posts: 255
    Options
    I purchased the plain greek yogurt and added some Mrs Dash lime and chili spice to it. It was a great substitute for sour cream in my low fat taco!
  • sammybey
    sammybey Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I really like Skyr! It's traditional Icelandic yogurt but nutritionally very similar to Greek yogurt- tons of protein. I can unfortunately only find it in Whole Foods but it is delicious!

that's a kind of very fresh cheese isn't it? i found a recipe for that, sounds like something i could make myself:

http://www.simnet.is/gullis/jo/Miscellaneous.htm
    I guess so? Sure tastes like yogurt to me :) Super thick, rich, creamy yogurt mmmm.

Here is a good article about skyr:
    http://www.seriouseats.com/2008/12/skyr-icelandic-yogurt-beating-greek-yogurt-at-its-own-game.html
  • ktspac
    ktspac Posts: 32
    Options
    Had Athenos where the strawberries were in a separate part - that one was horrible. Haven't tried any of the others after that experience.
    I really like Chobani and I think I have had the Yoplait also. Chobani fruit on bottom is good. I even bought the Chobani champions the other day - they are geared for kids it looks like - my son loves the honey-nana one while I love the mixed berry one. the fruit is already mixed in, it has a nice consistency and the little container is 100 calories. Perfect for my mid morning snack at work.
  • LacieLamp
    LacieLamp Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    The Okios Honey on the Bottom Greek yogurt is sooo GOOD!!
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Chobani is the best, in my opinion. :)

Just had some, actually.
  • doublexhelix
    doublexhelix Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    sorry to revive a dead thread, but i just want to mention...

i just bought the honey greek yogurt. and OMG it is better than ice cream!!!
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    i just bought the honey greek yogurt. and OMG it is better than ice cream!!!

Yes, I eat it instead of ice cream.

I found Auburn,WA-produced Zoi Greek yogurt at a Thriftway in Montana. Our Winco Foods in Everett, WA, carries all 4 varieties of Zoi yogurt at a great price!
  • thomalr6180
    thomalr6180 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I love all of the flavors that Chobani offers. I bought a Yoplait Honey Vanilla one last week and it was the nastiest thing I have ever tasted.
  • TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    My friend made me some Greek yoghurt with her EasiYo maker.....mmmmmmmm! I loved it so much I bought myself one (not quite Victor Kiam, I grant you!)!

Honestly, it makes wonderfully yummy yoghurt, is really easy to use (it's like a large Thermos flask), and is so much cheaper than shop-bought yoghurt. I am a total convert!
  • oldtyke
    oldtyke Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I'm with easiyo too. Obviously love the full fat one but I use the low fat most.
  • ColoradoRobin
    ColoradoRobin Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I like Fage plain nonfat, with some berries or fresh fruit, or some Kashi almond flax cereal. It is thick, creamy, and makes a fantastic substitute for sour cream. I tried some of the Chobani the other day, and liked that as well. Cook's Illustrated just reviewed Greek yogurts. They disliked Greek Gods because it has added thickeners rather than being drained as the others are. They also disliked Yoplait. They liked an expensive imported brand, but many of the other types listed here did well. Fage is a Greek company that set up business here in the US, and rated pretty well. I get it at Costco.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Last weekend I found Athenos nonfat honey packs at my local 99 Cent Store (as in, that's the actual name of the store) for 50 cents each. It was the only flavor they had, but I bought several because the price was so incredible. They're higher in sugar because of the honey, but OMG... So yummy! I stir them very loosely because I like running into the thick ribbons of honey. They have made such great snacks, though I've only eaten them every other day to minimize the impact of the sugar. Going back again tomorrow to hunt for more. I hope they have some kind of a fruit flavor this time!

If you have a 99 Cent Store in your area, it's definitely worth checking out.