Scale Fluctuations - within minutes

Options
I weigh myself in the AM, after using the bathroom - and the scale will say one thing. Then I go brush my hair, go back, weigh again and it's different. I might step away, put on lotion, weight myself again - and it's different.
Today in 15 minutes this is what it said in this order -

This is driving me crazy. It's a digital scale and I have it flat on my hardwood floor.
Obviously I need a new scale - but 1 - does anyone else have this happen to them and 2 - what scale should I get that would not do this to me?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    Every digital scale I've ever owned has done this. Annoying, huh? I don't think you will fix it with a new scale unless you spend a lot of money on one, and even then I'm not sure you will solve this. Hopefully someone else has a better experience!
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Oh, and obviously the 183.2 is the correct weight. :tongue:
  • SweetTooth68
    SweetTooth68 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I bought a brand new scale and it does this - it's really annoying. I step on 3 times in a row and take the middle weight usually...
  • bethikabob
    bethikabob Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    lol, yeah it happens to me too. I usually take 2 or 3 and then average
  • hedleyrocks247
    hedleyrocks247 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Mine does the exact same thing :smile:
    I'm TRYING - and believe me it's hard - to weigh myself only once a week and step on the scale, take that number and that's it!!!!!! I've had my scale go 10 pounds either way in a matter of a few minutes! Ridiculous, I know this Can't happen but it plays tricks with your mind!!!! I have wii fit, which weighs you everytime you play (not such a good thing) but I on my weigh in days I pay attention to the number and it seems to be right on with the first number that shows on my scale! I guess sometimes digital isn't always better?!?!?
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    My digital scale has never had this problem. Sometimes I think it doesn't move enough sometimes. Darn thing hates me.

But, anyway, when was the last time you changed the batteries? Also, are you weighing yourself after you breathe in, or breathe out? If you have either heavy or light air in your house that my be throwing off your numbers.
  • lilsweetslol
    lilsweetslol Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    i have an expensive digital and it does that, so i weigh three times and take the average.. :flowerforyou:
  • xaintes
    xaintes Posts: 129
    Options
    I have a digital scale that gives consistent numbers no matter how many times you step on it - it's a Taylor scale with the jumbo numbers and glow screen. I got it at Target... I think it was $30 or $40.
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    LOL this happens to me everyyy time. I usually jump on and off 3-5 times straight after each other, and which ever reading comes up the most is what I stick with.
  • bebababy
    bebababy Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    happen to me this morning!!! it happens all the time and yes it is very annoying! i take the higher of the number to be safe. got on it 3 times this morning- at first i was like cool!! then the disappointment after i brushed and washed my face i was up a pound from the first weigh in and the last weigh in was right in the middle. either way i lost a little weight
  • Mommy07inlove
    Options
    I havent had mine do that the way you are explaining it...i did however have it give me an incredibly low number one morning that freaked me out lol...i wanna lose but not 10 pounds from one morning to the next! Other than that one time though its always given me a pretty correct reading...i have a weight watchers scale,i only paid like 15 bucks for it at big lots.
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I have an old scale with the little pointer and everything.
    It may not be precise (it's 5 pounds off the doctor's), but it is accurate :smile:
  • sheryllh79
    Options
    I've had this problem too! Was wondering if I was the only one! But I'll usually weigh myself a few times in a row and when I get a number (or close to the same number in ouces) I'll usually take that number....like 293.8 or 293.4 and I'll say it's an even 293...
  • sassyg
    sassyg Posts: 393
    Options
    My digital scale does this, it's a Salter one
    It's all about how you stand on it, feet in the very middle will give 6kg (12-13lb) less than feet on the very edges, and anything else for inbetween. It's a right PITA, I've pretty much just stopped weighing myself.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Generally, weight can fluctuate within minutes following any activity. As you use your muscles more, they become primed with fluid to get ready for more use, i.e. brushing your hair, putting on lotion, folding clothes, showering, etc... so it won't ever stay solid at a number. Usually the very first weigh-in, after using the facilities, first thing in the morning should be the one to use, as it is usually the lowest weight of the day. Constantly checking the scale WILL make anyone go crazy, as increased numbers become discouraging to most people.

That said, there are times my digital scale will jump from 0.4 - 1.2 pounds within seconds, then stabilize at some point...probably after 3x of double and triple checking it. Whichever number comes out most consistently within that period of time is the one I would use.
  • webbstace
    webbstace Posts: 17
    Options
    All the digitals that I have had vary a bit even if I weigh in three times in a row. Taking an average of three weigh-in's back to back is probably your best bet. But, I must ask, why are you weighing in so frequently?
  • cmriverside
    Options
    But, anyway, when was the last time you changed the batteries? Also, are you weighing yourself after you breathe in, or breathe out? If you have either heavy or light air in your house that my be throwing off your numbers.

bwah ha ha....I :heart: this.

Don't know if it's real or not, but I know in Scuba diving as we use the air in the tanks we weigh less at the end of the dive. But it's enough air for an hour and only adds up to four pounds.
  • kaylenlawrence
    kaylenlawrence Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Friday I weighed at the gym..
    and within 3 minutes i weighed 177.5 then 183 then 180 then i weighed when i got home and it said 179.6 then 181
    it is ANNOYING to the say the least
    so I guess that is a sign that it doesnt really matter how much I weigh
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Happens to me every single day with this darn digital Tanita scale. And I have changed the %^$^( batteries! Grrr, I don't know how much I weigh thx to my scale.
  • Painten
    Painten Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Just weigh yourself once a day and you wont have to worry about it. Every few minutes is a little ott.