Scale Fluctuations - within minutes

Options

Replies

• absolament
    absolament Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    My scale does the same. Could it be the Earth's gravitational shift? I don't "check-in" until the weight holds fairly steady for a week. And even then, I estimate somewhere in the middle of the readings.
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Scales can be extremely fickle! I don't think I gained 4 pounds from eating a single donut!

But this is why I weigh myself at least daily -- but record it only once a week. I figure not only does my weight fluctuate daily, but the scale can have some differences, too.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    mine does the same,now i just weigh myself once and thats it.
  • doramouse
    doramouse Posts: 160
    Options
    It's good to know that I'm not the only one. That makes me feel a little better and yes - it's super annoying!
    I am weighing myself so many times in the AM as I am trying to see if the scale will give me one weight a couple times in a row.
    I'm not weighing myself all day :)
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I only really ever have this problem when I haven't changed the battery in a while.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Mine use to do this I also have hardwoood floors. I found if I moved it around slightly it would weigh different. Now it stays in the one spot and it weighs correctly no matter how many times I step on and off in a row.
  • jbug100
    jbug100 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    The scale was more important to me at the beginning of this journey. It marked progress, and it's good at that. Now that I am where I want to be, I am trying to back off of the scale and measure wellness in other more fun and satisfying ways. The number jumps will make you crazy! I am learning that the scale is ONE tool and ONE measure. There are so many others that are important and better for your soul. I'll admit I have curiosity about scales that measure body fat. I think now that would mean more to me than an absolute number. Anyone have any experience with a scale like that? Is it accurate with body fat measurement?
  • Crystals422
    Crystals422 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    It happens to me as well :angry: . I take the one I get the most after 3 or 4 readings. Sometimes if I think it is to low I will have my 2 yr old get on the scale and if his weight is the same I know I really did loose something.
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I started using my bosses scale since I didn't have one and hers was perfect everytime, so when I went to buy one I tried to find the exact same one. They didn't have it. I got one based on similiar things...that one, if I stepped on it differently it'd give different readings...I took it back! I had paid $18 for that one. I got one instead that was 27 (or 26, can't remember which), at walmart, by health o meter. Its just a piece of glass so u can see the floor under it, with 2bars on both sides so u can clearly see where ur feet should go. Its the exact same everytime. I did it 10x n a row and no change. I just bought it a few days ago, so chances r ur walmart will have same one. When u first get a scale, tesst it..stand in different positions, multiple times and if it fluctuates by how u stand even a lil, take it back..its a lil bit of hassle but worth it!
  • TAWoody
    TAWoody Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    My digital Taylor has always done it. Sometimes it gets stuck on the exact same weight as the previous day so I grab something heavy and hop on and let it do it's thing, then weigh myself. A little annoying but I guess that's how they work. Mine is only off maybe 1-3 pounds at a time.
  • JenBrown0210
    JenBrown0210 Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    My digital scale does this too. But mine is close to what my dr say I weigh. I weigh myself once in the morning after going pottty! :laugh: I currently weigh two to 3 times a week but only record on Mondays! I do it this way to figure out how differnt foods affect my body. Once I hit 155 I'm going to stop weighing myself weekly and go to monthly. Just focus on my eating and exercising. In the end I really do not care what I weigh as long as I'm healthy and happy with my body.
  • pvtnick
    pvtnick Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have this problem and I weigh in a couple times a day as well. I usually weigh in as soon as i get up, after going to the gym and again at night and sometimes in between. Obsessive? Probably. But I was worried because I was getting fluctuations of as much as 4 lbs within 5 mins for no apparent reason. Nice to know I'm not alone.
  • Artemis_100
    Options
    Same problem here. The scale can vary as much as 8 pounds between successive weigh-ins within minutes. Soooooo frustrating! Think I'll see if I can find any mechanical scales out there!!
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Why weigh so much in a short amount of time?
    What's the point?
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Mine doesn't do it. Good scale, hard floor.
  • ksmiley412
    ksmiley412 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    My digital scale does this too. But mine is close to what my dr say I weigh. I weigh myself once in the morning after going pottty! :laugh: I currently weigh two to 3 times a week but only record on Mondays! I do it this way to figure out how differnt foods affect my body. Once I hit 155 I'm going to stop weighing myself weekly and go to monthly. Just focus on my eating and exercising. In the end I really do not care what I weigh as long as I'm healthy and happy with my body.

^^Great outlook^^ I only every step on the scale once so I am not sure if mine reads different.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Meh...the scale is a filthy lying ***** anyway.

take measurements as well.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Meh...the scale is a filthy lying ***** anyway.

take measurements as well.

Yep..what she says ^^^
  • swingsintherain
    swingsintherain Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Mine is surprisingly consistent. (My scale came from goodwill, so this is VERY surprising!)
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I've noticed fluctuations in the past, too. However, I did notice awhile back that my scales and the doctor office scales gave very close to the same weight, so now I step on mine and accept whatever number I get the first time. Close enough.