Where are your favorite places to go out to eat?

Options
What are your favorite restaurants (I guess I'm talkin' chains here!) that serve healthyish/lower calorie options?
What are your go-to menu items at these places?

I meet a friend for dinner once a week at Panera. I LOVE their thai chicken salad- I get it without wantons or dressing and the entire thing is less than 300 calories! Woo!

Replies

• MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Moe's Southwest Grill, I get the Chicken & Rice bowl with only the chicken, rice, black beans, grilled mushrooms, onions and peppers, pico de gallo, diced jalapenos, and cilantro. I skip the order of chips (and snag a couple from my son). I then add one of the little cups of their one salsa, I forget what it's called right now! The whole bowl comes in around 800 calories, but I only eat half and save the rest for lunch. It's filling and tasty!
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I'm willing to go anywhere I can find the nutrition for, but I hit up subway a lot. It's not easy to make a vegetarian sandwich that tastes good, and they nail it with those nice little cold veggies ;)
    Other than that though, I don't really eat eat anywhere. I love adding protein to starbucks' oatmeal, but nothing interesting. Smoothie king is great too :)
  • craft338
    craft338 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    california kitchen pizza has a light cravings menu, and the stuff is all really low in calories and sodium and all that, but the servings are small. if u wanna eat big, there's a HUGE roasted veggie salad on the regular menu, the full size with shrimp is 690 calories!! i had it yesterday and took half home for dinner. AWESOME!! oh, and minestrone soup for 100 something calories :)
  • kasmir8199
    kasmir8199 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I love iHOP. My favorite dish, no matter what time of day it is, is the SIMPLE & FIT Grilled Balsamic-Glazed Chicken (440 cals total).

I know!!...iHOP? Yes. It's delicious! It comes with steamed broccoli and a TON of sautéed mushrooms.
  • MB_Positif
    Options
    Do you have a Moe's Southwest Grill near you? They have tofu and yummy grilled veggies you can get served over rice with beans, etc. Ugh, I was trying to quote the vegetarian above who said she goes to subway a lot...and it won't let me delete this and start over, only edit!
  • kasmir8199
    kasmir8199 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I'm willing to go anywhere I can find the nutrition for, but I hit up subway a lot. It's not easy to make a vegetarian sandwich that tastes good, and they nail it with those nice little cold veggies ;)
    Other than that though, I don't really eat eat anywhere. I love adding protein to starbucks' oatmeal, but nothing interesting. Smoothie king is great too :)

I looooooove Smoothie King!! Our gym has one on the inside, so I'm sure to get a Slim-N-Trim Vanilla (skinny) on my way out after a tough workout.
  • Calidaho
    Calidaho Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I recently discovered that Islands has a healthy menu selection. I always get the North Shore Limited Tacos (they use corn tortillas instead of flour and must leave off some other stuff). My hubby has ordered the turkey burger off the light menu. It is a decent burger served with steamed veggies instead of fries. Not a bunch of sauce and cheese, either.

I was also surprised at El Cholo mexican restaurant (a local chain). My hubby and I are both obviously over weight and we asked them to not leave chips at our table. When we went to order the fajitas, our server asked if we were on a diet and said they have something not on the menu that is a simply grilled chicken breast, black beans and steamed veggies.

I went for the chicken fajitas anyway, asked for light on the oil. I only ate half the order and none of the beans that came with it. My point is that other restaurants might have similar secret menu items if you ask.

PF Changs has their nutrition information on their website--we get the dinner for two and order soup, steamed veggie potstickers and the lighter, veggie based entrees with brown rice. Again, only eating half of the meal. Leftovers for lunch the next day!
  • chubswonky
    chubswonky Posts: 195
    Options
    Do you have a Moe's Southwest Grill near you? They have tofu and yummy grilled veggies you can get served over rice with beans, etc.

Wahhh unfortunately not! That sounds yum!
  • sarahazelnut99
    sarahazelnut99 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    cant really help you with chains, i love little trendy small business restaurants and cafes HOWEVER
    i go to starbucks for there skinny caramel macciatos
    and paneras for dinners
  • waverly9876
    waverly9876 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I LOVE LOVE panera bread, applebees and Longhorns.
    At Panera- I get the Thai Chopped chicken salad with no dressing (only peanut sauce on the side) Its about 300 calories
    At Applebees- I get the WW meal which is only 309 calories- the Spicy pineapple shrimp with spinach
    At longhorn- I get the grilled shrimp dish (forgot the name). It is only 150 calories and I add the steamed asparagus as my side. YUM!!!
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm I live in a place that does not have many chain restaurants, other than pizza express I dont like them anyway. My favourite place to eat are in some of the little village pubs here on the Island, the food is locally sourced, in one they give you beer if you take in home grown veg lol.

I love the little italian restaurant in my village too, its been in the same family for 30 years and I have been going there most of my life and never had a bad meal. x
  • chubswonky
    Options
    cant really help you with chains, i love little trendy small business restaurants and cafes HOWEVER
    i go to starbucks for there skinny caramel macciatos
    and paneras for dinners

Aside from a local Korean restaurant, this is just about the only time I go out to eat. I'm just curious if maybe there's something great out there that I'm missing!
  • RocknnRobin
    RocknnRobin Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Logan's Roadhouse.

Love their salads, grilled meat, and the fact they offer sweet potato as a side.

I try and avoid the sweet yeast roll appetizers however like the plague they are. When the basket comes to the table, we send it straight back or it ruins us!
  • MB_Positif
    Options
    Do you have a Moe's Southwest Grill near you? They have tofu and yummy grilled veggies you can get served over rice with beans, etc.

Wahhh unfortunately not! That sounds yum!

Open one, the place is always busy :) They are popping up everywhere, so keep an eye out!
  • frenchfri87
    frenchfri87 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    ruby tuesdays has a kick *kitten* salad bar :flowerforyou:
  • chubswonky
    Options
    ruby tuesdays has a kick *kitten* salad bar :flowerforyou:

We don't have one of those too nearby either, but I used to go when I lived out of state and it was so good!
  • sarahazelnut99
    sarahazelnut99 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    oh i forgot! redlobster crab is only 80 calories a 1/2 a pound i think, then for sides get the broccoli and dressing on the side of your salad
  • penny39
    penny39 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Logan's also offers sweet potato fries, they are yummy! I love Ihop's Fit & Slim menu, And my favorite is Subway Flat Bread Subs and their Egg white melt muffins for breakfast.
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Ill eat out anywhere and everywhere, I love going out!!

Kfc has grilled chicken now...I just remove the skin...
    Chinese places I order sub gum chow mein (without the chow mein noodles) with steamed rice, or brocolli/chicken, or anything along those lines that does include anything fried.
    Mcdonalds has salads but I try to stay away from mcdonalds considering I gained a lot of weight from them--only fast food n my town.. they also have grilled chicken sandwichs but don't order meal cuz it has pop & fries.
    Burgerville has a wild alaskan smoked salmon salad with hazelnuts.
    Wendys has grilled chicken sandwichs and u can replace fries with a salad or baked tater, and pop for millk or something.
    Sandwichs at bars if they don't have salads.
    Red lobster--seafood is low cal..I went last week, had garden salad with rice pilaf, lobster, shrimp, & steamed brocolli.
    Uhm...yea...u can go almost anywhere and find somethin good.
  • Mommyof3texans
    Options
    Mmmm I love Genghis Grill - you create your own mongolian bbq bowl and you can make it super healthy! Their website allows you to build your bowl and gives detailed nutrition info on all their ingredients.