Greek yogurt?

2»

Replies

• BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Just make sure that you store the container upright and eat pretty soon after buying or it starts to separate and you end up with liquid on top or on the side. If this happens, I just pour it off before eating.

That liquid is the whey, you're pouring off all the protein! Stir it back in. I like adding Greek yogurt to my Shakeology when I have a bag of the greenberry. I'm a big fan of both Fage and Chobani, 0% plain. Though if I want to eat it as a snack I go for the ones with honey.
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    i can't eat plain greek yogurt. i know the flavored ones are higher in sugar, but plain greek yogurt even with honey/granola/berries tastes like sour cream to me. bah.
  • aeckels616
    aeckels616 Posts: 210 Member
    And since we are asking questions about Greek yogurt I have one too - why is it so much better than the Yoplait or Dannon? Reading the labels it seems basically the same with some more protein and yes, slightly less sugar. But it is REALLY expensive! I can get a large container or Yoplait for $1.99 and the Chobani is $5.69 for fewer ounces - what's the deal??

Greek yogurt is a more concentrated product because it's strained to remove liquid whey. So, it packs a few more grams of protein per serving and is a bit lower in sugar and carbohydrates. Not a huge difference nutritionally, but the taste and texture are much more to my liking. Also, if you're buying greek yogurt that is actually made in Greece, you're not going to be getting yogurt made from hormone-pumped cows.
  • keepsiejess
    keepsiejess Posts: 51 Member
    smooooooth and tastes like friggen ice cream! Go get some! love it.
  • e1lindsay
    e1lindsay Posts: 230
    take a half of a banana and "fry" it up in a pan with a little spray butter and cinnamon...then add it to the plain yogurt and mix in some honey and vanilla...yum! and it's super filling for a breakfast or snack...
  • basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    Just make sure that you store the container upright and eat pretty soon after buying or it starts to separate and you end up with liquid on top or on the side. If this happens, I just pour it off before eating.

That liquid is the whey, you're pouring off all the protein! Stir it back in. I like adding Greek yogurt to my Shakeology when I have a bag of the greenberry. I'm a big fan of both Fage and Chobani, 0% plain. Though if I want to eat it as a snack I go for the ones with honey.

I know...but if I stir it back in the yogurt is too thin and lumpy for my liking. I'm not pouring of all that much liquid -- just a little off the top. :-)
This discussion has been closed.