Do you eat bread?

Options
13»

Replies

• Bridgetc140
    Bridgetc140 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I eat bread every day and my bread is even 100 calories per slice, but the slices are huge and full of seeds, oats and other yummies! They're 100% whole grain with No HFCS, and packed with fiber. If I'm running low on calories, I just cut one in half and use it as two slices...works great! I haven't given up bread, rice or pasta...love them all. (but I always eat whole grain)
  • taletreader
    taletreader Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I'm German. I grew up with an abundance of bakery or home baked excellent breads and didn't even know how unusual those riches were. I then lived in France, where the offer is less broad but nonetheless divine.

So yes, I eat bread. Much smaller portions than I used to, and usually only one slice (2-2.5 oz, ie, 55-70g) at a time. Maybe two with a really light soup for dinner. I also eat Wasa crispbread (I like the multigrain one) -- one or two slices with cottage cheese or peanut butter and sprouts make a < 200 cal snack. No guilt.

You want to watch not only the carbs, but also the fat and protein in bread. Good breads are low in the first (or if they have fat, it's from oats or seeds and whole grain -- mostly unsaturated) and high in the second. As for supermarket-bought varieties, the Safeway artisan Como bread is not bad at all -- a sourdough white bread with a pleasant taste and texture.

My diary is open, so take a look how I use bread.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I mill all my own flour and bake all my bread from scratch so yes, I still eat it.

I never feel guilty because I eat it within my personal guidelines and it's full of nutrition.

You can stop feeling guilty. I give you permission. There. :) (Just eat good bread! Make sure it's whole grain and don't eat a piece the size of a mattress! Moderation is key in this journey. It doesn't have to be all or nothing. I do lower carb (100-150 grams a day) and I'm still able to eat bread and enjoy it. )
  • abyssfully
    abyssfully Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Do you still eat bread? Yes, I would die without it I swear.
    Do you avoid it? Nope, but I make sure I only have 2 slices per day.
    Do you feel guilty if you eat it? Not at all, as long as I stay 2 slices or under!
    How can I stop myself from feeling guilty? Time.