23 lbs and counting... Adipex is my friend.

Options
Tsartele
Tsartele Posts: 683 Member
So I know that this may be somewhat controversial but this is a legitimate way to lose weight that was prescribed to my by my doctor. I have a friend that I had not seen in a long time and I ran into him at walmart and he had lost 90 lbs in 6mo. I went and saw his DR. and they put me on the same program. I take Adipex which is an appetite suppressant and follow a 1600 cal a day diet and I go for walks once or twice a week and play golf and basically do things that I enjoy. I have lost 23 lbs in 2 months and I could not be happier. Some people are afraid to take a drug to help them but I was not afraid of the stigma associated with it. I say if it is safe and it helps why not ? The drug basically makes your brain think that you are full so you can not over eat. There are little to no side affects to the drug and you just take it in the morning and you are good for the day. The drug is not expensive at all, costs $15 for a months supply and could not be easier. Later on I might decide to get a gym membership but for now I am happy with the results. I am 33 male and started at 228 and as of today 4-11-11 I am 204.6. Go see you doctor or better yet a dr that specializes in weight management. You will not be sorry.:smile:

Replies

• aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    You need to do some more research. While it is a dieting aid, there ARE side effects, including addiction, and should be taken no more than a few weeks at a time.

http://www.drugs.com/adipex.html

From the website:

Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction to Adipex-P: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat. Call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:

•feeling short of breath, even with mild exertion;
    •chest pain, feeling like you might pass out;
    •swelling in your ankles or feet;
    •pounding heartbeats or fluttering in your chest;
    •confusion or irritability, unusual thoughts or behavior;
    •feelings of extreme happiness or sadness; or
    •dangerously high blood pressure (severe headache, blurred vision, buzzing in your ears, anxiety, confusion, chest pain, shortness of breath, uneven heartbeats, seizure).

Less serious Adipex-P side effects may include:

•feeling restless or hyperactive;
    •headache, dizziness, tremors;
    •sleep problems (insomnia);
    •dry mouth or an unpleasant taste in your mouth;
    •diarrhea or constipation, upset stomach; or
    •increased or decreased interest in sex, impotence.

Sounds like a hell of a lot more side effects than you would get from simply watching what and how much you eat.
  • rgustin
    rgustin Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Good for you, but what happens when you quit taking it? Do you gain all that weight back?
  • wagn27
    wagn27 Posts: 65
    Options
    Adipex can be habit-forming. It's a controlled substance. If you stop taking it, you WILL gain the weight back unless you have made other permanent changes (healthy diet and exercise). Also, there is somewhat of a limit on how long it works. It is meant to be for short term use and for most people, it stops working after a few months without increased doses- and there is a maximum dose- your pharmacist may choose not to dispense it to you if your Dr prescribes above the studied doses. (I have personally seen this happen.)
  • JenDOhio
    JenDOhio Posts: 32
    Options
    I have used it myself. It is a great drug to suppress appetite. Just make sure that when you stop taking it that you stick to making healthy food choices and stay active or the weight will come back fast. I think it is fine to take as long as you have educated yourself about the medication. Best of luck with your weight loss journey!
  • Raquel1275
    Options
    I say... good for you! Some people can lose weight with a little lifestyle change. Some have to get a little more help than that. As long as you know that you cant take it forever and are changing your lifestyle you will be just fine. Weather you were taking the drug or not, if you go back to old eating habits of course you will gain the weight back!
  • Cutiger81
    Cutiger81 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    All drugs have side effects. I'm a mental health therapist and the drugs that our doc prescribes our clients have numerous side effects such as tardi or akathesia, cramping,etcc....the list goes on. However, it's still prescribed to alleviate symptoms. I think that it is good that you decide to use that and it's working. Keep up the good work.
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Good for you but this sounds like an ad. And there are people on this site that have went from 440 to 220 without any help.

"The difference between the hard way and the easy way is that the hard way works" ~~Terry Pratchett

I'm doing this the hard way. We know it works. I am teaching myself better dietary habits. No drugs. I also have Binge Eating Disorder.
  • Arnelle1
    Arnelle1 Posts: 12
    Options
    Good for you. I think that no matter what efforts people use, it is a hard process to loose weight and you have to do what works best for you.
  • MrsFarrow
    MrsFarrow Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    My anti-depressant suppresses my appetite. But it can also up appetite, so I'm lucky! I don't know if I could take a drug specifically for weight loss though. It scares me!! But if it's working, good luck.
  • Laila21
    Laila21 Posts: 12
    Options
    It is my friend. And I yelling it loud and proud.
    As the mental health professional stated-once you have been exposed to a range of medications (and how reported side effects are calculated) you realize that even advil has common side effects like:Constipation; diarrhea; dizziness; gas; headache; heartburn; nausea; stomach pain. And there are more serious side effects that would scare the crap out of you (bleeding, vomit that looks like coffee grounds wtf!).
    But people are not giving up their advil.

I feel really happy about my progress three weeks in with adipex
    under the care of both doctor and dietician, I feel like my hard work is now actually leading to results.

So I commend those who are willing and able to go where they may be judged to salvage their health and happiness.

Blackmarket adpiex, unsupervised dosing, etc... that is another story
  • ericapledger
    ericapledger Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hoodia does the same thing and its all natural.
  • Contrary03
    Contrary03 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I've read information about it, and it's clearly an addicting stimulant... ofcourse people are gonna lose weight. Be careful~
  • ladyjade68
    Options
    Boyfriend and I both take it. Definitely supresses my appetite. The difference is that I carefully watch what I eat, and make pretty healthy choices. He still eats junk - just less of it. I am supposed to eat 1590 calories a day, and I have trouble reaching that number. I feel that if I continue to watch what I eat after I stop taking the adipex, I will not gain the weight back... I haven't had any negative side effects at all.
  • Leisa42
    Leisa42 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Adipex was my bestie too, unfortunately it's not long term. I lost 85lbs with it in about 6 months. I was on top of the world. The bad news is its effect wears off after 6 or so months, and you can't ever get it back. (I tried recently). I have gained 60 of that back since then. I wish I had taken the time of actually changeing my eating habits while I had its help, then I could at least maintained. Oh and when you do stop taking it, you will have headaches like never before, irritible all the time. Thats the side effects of breaking your addiction to it. Good luck, if it still worked for me I would have it. Looking for fda to approve Qnexa, adipex + a migrain med mixed. Cain't wait.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    I took that for 3 days. I have never felt that bad in my life. I was light headed all the time and felt like I was going to pass out at any moment. After I stopped taking it, I found this website and low and behold, I am 1 pound away from my goal. I feel like I did this the healthy, old fashioned way and I believe I have changed my lifestyle and will keep the weight off.

The one thing my dr told me is that the medicine will give you the chance to change your bad habits. She said that is the only way it will be long term. You have to change your lifestyle to keep it off.
  • Calidaho
    Calidaho Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    My hubby took it for a month. We go to the same weight loss doctor who sees us every 5-6 weeks to monitor our progress and help with any problems.

The doctor gave him the appetite suppressant for one month to help him shrink his stomach and get into the groove of eating healthy. Hubby was worried that he wouldn't be able to maintain his eating habits without the drug but, he tried going without and found that he can stick to the 2000 calorie diet (hubby is a large guy so he burns a lot) without help. The doctor did give him a refill to use "as needed" but he hasn't needed it.

He has lost over 50 lbs in the last two months and has really changed his lifestyle. We both have.
  • cindy859
    cindy859 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different and every body is different if you need a drug to help the process of losing weight and you are comfortable taking one then you should, whose to judge what an individual needs. I myself would not and I have lost 30 pounds in two months just by changing my eating habits and exercising. So congrats on your weight loss keep up the good work!
  • heniko
    heniko Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    With only 1 post (this one) this sounds like a advert!
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Adipex is not a magic pill! I have been on it before. It is addictive. You will begin to build a tolerance to it and soon the dose you are taking now will not work. You will need more to get the same effect you are getting now. Even if you don't feel it, it causes tachycardia (fast heart rate) and can elevate the blood pressure. It also caused me to have horrible insomnia. You need to learn to control what you eat without the aid of a drug like Adipex. It is a controlled substance...it is like speed. It is not intended for long term use. What are you going to do when you stop taking it? Do a little research on the drug. It has many dangerous side effects that I don't think you are aware of.
  • TawnyMarie85
    TawnyMarie85 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I also WOULD NOT recommend taking Adipex. I was prescribed Adipex as well. I realized that YES my energy level increased and YES it did suppress my appetite. However, even if I skipped ONE day of taking it I was right back where I started. I strongly advise against taking Adipex. Sure, it may help you lose weight but, what are you going to do after the weight is off? Losing weight is about changing your habits and taking on new HEALTHY ones...A pill isn't a healthy option. Pills aren't required to lose weight. Just YOU and your Mind Set and your Determination are required...What I hate to see most is someone who just needs to lose 5-10 pounds and find a means to get a hold of this drug...Adipex is very much so abused and like Losing2Live69 said...It only works for a little bit and then the dose won't be effective anymore...Increasing the dose is dangerous...Long-Term weightloss will only come to those who put in the effort...Eating well and Being active...A pill won't do either of those things FOR you so my advice? SKIP IT...
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!