23 lbs and counting... Adipex is my friend.

Options

Replies

• Tsartele
    Tsartele Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Well here is my update.. Its been 3 months and I have lost 33 lbs. I wish this could be a paid advert for adipex because I would happily sign up to be their spokesman !! Now to all the namby pamby winers who say "oh but its a stimulant" Great !! I have been taking stimulants for years because of my add... I am fully aware of the "side affects" .... for me there are none !! For other people their might be a few but the affects FAR out weigh the small discomfort caused by the drug. As with most drugs your body will adjust to the drug and the side affects will pass in time I know that they have for me. I am on a 1380 cal a day diet (male 33 5'11 196lbs) and I find that it is easy to stay with in my cal allowance and that the adipex helps. I am fully under the care of a physician and I am following the plan that he has provided. Its not like I am buying the stuff off of the street because I want my fix. If you want to eat rice cakes and run your miles great for you I'll take my happy pill and eat a sensible diet and hit my goal faster than you !! I also agree that you need to make changes in your life if you are going to keep the weight off so its not like I can hit a magical number then start eating fat burgers and entire large pizzas by myself again like I used too. After months of eating sensibly I find that it is easy and will not be that hard to continue once I had decided to put my friend adipex back on the shelf. For me Adipex has been the best thing since sliced bread... Also my friend lost 90 lbs in 6 mo on adipex and he could not be happier !!! and that is how I began this journey.
  • rosiedoes
    rosiedoes Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    This does read like an advert, and it makes me quite uncomfortable that your doctor is promoting the use of something like this for someone in your situation.

If you're a 5'11" male and you're only 196lbs - even if you were still 30lbs more than that - your situation isn't serious enough to require chemical intervention. Healthy eating and some walking would have achieved perfectly acceptable results.

It bothers me, really, to see a product like this being promoted on a site where people genuinely are struggling - and succeeding - with weightloss.
  • natalieshae
    natalieshae Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I started my Adipex yesterday. I messed up and took a whole pill (keep in mind that i do nothing, coffee, energy drinks, just nothing) so yes i feel the side effects. I didn't go to bed until 2am and woke up around 8, ONE A WEEKEND! Today i took a half of a pill and the other half if i feel i need it later. I started my diet last year walking 3 miles, 6 in the summer, everyday. I joined a gym too. Here i was doing all this work and all my friends kept posting their weight loss goals and would say,'oh i lost 20lbs, 29,45.' It was just not no fair. This time i went and got me the diet pills. I think you said you were a guy? well with weman and friends..there is jelousy! It's like they are throwing it up in yo face. Hope i am not babbling but it's the Adipex. I'd like to be your friend and ask questions about this if i should have any because the Dr. that gave it to me gives me a headache when he talks ..it's long and drawn out..Guess it's the noise coming out of his mouth..Thanks! Natalie
  • natalieshae
    natalieshae Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
  • Mtsidad
    Mtsidad Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Good for you - keep up the work to get healthy, and stay in touch with the community. It's important to get support and encouragement.

Don't let others take way your joy of accomplishment.
  • alishathiel
    alishathiel Posts: 16
    Options
    Good luck w/ your recovery from it. I've been there, done that and it's as bad as any other chemical dependency.
  • joshuathopper
    Options
    I had luck with it myself. Took it for two months and came down about 30 pounds. I workout regularly and eat about 1500 a day max but I wasnt having any luck. I did gain a littlle weight back afterwards but only about 5 pounds. MOstly because I stopped eating right when some major life events happened. Yes, the first day or two I had headaches but I also dont drink caffeine or energy drinks so it hit me harder than most. After far as addiction I have no difficulties coming off of it, like any prescription you should taper off. Not just stop taking it on the last day. I agree with the Psychologist on here, almost all prescriptions have a laundry list of nasty side effects. I mean arent we giving similar stimulants to children with ADHD? But its everyones choice. Happened to work well for me and might not for some. Everyone just has to weight their options
  • bmw4deb
    bmw4deb Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Major habit forming.. all the weight will come back plus when you stop using
    these
  • deanadimples
    deanadimples Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I guess I would take it carefully and do the research. And I would really look into yourself as to why you think you need it.

My question is why are you taking it? At 228 were you really big enough to warrant a pill from a doctor?? I guess I don't know how tall you are. 228 on a lot of guys isn't "horrible". I'm 60 lbs overweight and my DR never suggest medical help, he sent me to livestrong...which is like this site. I just like this one better :)

Hunger was a HUGE issue for me before MFP. It turns out since I started eating better, I'm naturally hungry less. Better fuel makes the car run better. Hunger is not the enemy. It's OK to be hungry. I just make better decisions when I get there.

I also have a known trigger "food" when it comes to hunger and craving. SODA. Once I stop soda I no longer want to eat bad or all the time. When I drink soda...the hunger and cravings come right back. So I'm very careful with it. Just like pills can make you not want something....other things can make you.

Just be careful.
  • phy40
    phy40 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your success. I have tried adipex before, it does suppress the appetite and provide super energy. The downside of this drug is once you stop taking it, you gain "ALL" the weight you lost and much more. Quick fixes aren't lasting. Do what works for you and your body. Best Wishes!!!!!
  • coquetona
    coquetona Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Reading through the posts I firstly want to congratulate you on your successful weight loss. I think this is a step in the right direction to a healthier lifestyle. Everyone has a different moment where they realize they want to change and the push in that right direction is different for everyone as well. If this gets you started on your way to health happiness then I think that's great!

As PPs have mentioned you do need to realize this is not a long-term solution. I am happy it's working for you but at the same time people are only trying to help you out by letting you know that once you go off the drug you will have to make healthy decisions on your own. They are only trying to prepare you for what is to come. So far I'm glad you haven't had any side effects. I think that's great!

I was going to leave things at that until I read your line of "If you want to eat rice cakes and run your miles great for you I'll take my happy pill and eat a sensible diet and hit my goal faster than you!!" This site is to encourage eating in moderation, healthy nutrition and exercise for a lifestyle. You won't be able to take this "happy pill" forever and I think it's terrible that you are talking down to people who are making healthy lifestyle changes on their own without the use of medication. "I'm going to hit my goal faster than you!!" This site isn't a competition between pills and diet/exercise, it's a place for people to support and encourage each other.

You do also have to realize that not everyone is at the same point as you are in your journey. I'm down to the last 15lbs and smack dab in the middle of a healthy BMI. I don't think any Dr. in their right mind would suggest I use this drug so please stop talking it up like it is right for everyone. Your audience is a wide range of people.

P.S. I happen to love rice cakes thank you very much. haha
  • AmanduhB
    AmanduhB Posts: 3
    Options
    OK so there probably will be a lot of negitive remarks on this but...

I'm on day 1 of my prescription that my family physician (not medi diet clinic) gave me yesterday after a physical and EKG. I realize I am not the "typical" candidate for a chemical intervention as I weigh 150lbs at 5'4, but my weight has continuously gone up over the past 4 years and my doctor was concerned. My weight loss has been at a stand still for over 6 months; I train with a PT twice a week, hit the gym an additional 1 or 2 times, limit my calorie intake 5 days a week, etc. I'm on a "trial" basis with the meds to see if this will jump start some loss and then I will be off of it. I'm well aware of the side effects and don't mind the extra boost of energy at all :)

We will see if this can help a sister out lol. Keep up the work friends :)
  • alpha2omega
    alpha2omega Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Ironic....I came to MFP to get off the meds.
    700845 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    First of all I just want to say congrats to you for your weight loss! It is difficult for me to understand how mean some people are about people taking adipex. I do believe that there are risks and bad side effects. Heck my dr actually said to me "are you willing to accept the risks of this medicine? Before prescribing it to me. He said that he had one patient develop vegitation on a valve in her heart and it broke loose and caused a stroke. I decided that I am not happy this way and never will be so I accepted that and hope like crazy that doesn't happen to me. Everything we do is risky. But I believe that everyone has a right to accept those risks especially if they know that their weight is already affecting their health. Heck gastric bypass is horrible on the body but so is morbid obesity and all the medical problems that go along with it. I have been on adipex since May 15th. I also began a 1000 calorie diet and exercise a minimum of 30 min every day. I have lost 11 lbs so far. I think the adipex has helped my appetite and I guess most importantly I know I have some help but for only 3 months to loose as much weight as I can. (My dr will not give it to me any longer than 3 months) so, I have more motivation then ever before. Maybe it's all psychological. I don't know but I am motivated and that is the most important thing. I am a RN and work in an ICU and am friends with a few of the DR's at work and while they admit it isn't the most healthy medicine ever and there are risks, they also say it is a very effective drug. I am only 30 years old so I worry less about the serious side effects. Maybe if I were older I would hesitate more to take it. I know that no matter how you loose weight if you go back to your old ways you will gain it back! I just needed it to help keep me motivated so I can get down to a more manageble weight. I had gotton to the point of feeling hopeless like I was too fat to ever loose it all. After my 3 months I will have to continue to work on losing cause I won't be anywhere near my goal weight, but at least I will be happier that I got rid of the first chunk of weight. Good luck to everyone and please try not to judge someone for resorting to prescription help to loose their weight and regain their health! We are all on the same side trying to help each other.
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    AH how I love these posts!!

Sooo.... Im a pill taker :) I think pretty much everyone on my friends lists knows this because I truly enjoy responding to the anti-adipex postings!

I have been on Adipex three times in my life (i am an emotional eater)

Time #1) lost 60 lbs in 4 months. Which took me out of pre-type 2 diabetes-range. And it took me 3 years AND a pregnancy to gain it back.

Time #2) Shortly after pregnancy (couldnt breast feed) kept up my horrible eating habits due to being a stressed out single mom of a newborn/infant. Lost 15 lbs in a month. Did gain it back within a year.

Time #3) 3 Months, lost 48 lbs. Developed healthy eating habits again and discovered MFP. I am still losing (given at a much slower rate) and still have good eating habits.

*NOTE: STILL LOSING AFTER STOPPING ADIPEX*

I only encourage adipex under PHYSICIAN care where you see the actual DOCTOR at every visit (not the PA or Nurse Practitioner) I DO NOT encourage weight loss clinics prescribing it (most are owned and monitored by a physician but you only see the actual physician once maybe twice)

I also tell everyone you MUST develop good habits while on the medication. You also MUST taper off, do not stop cold turkey.

Yes the side-effects listed seem absolutly horrible. But half of those side-effects happen when taking your every day antibiotics! (given Im against unnecessary antibiotics so I take them rarely..... odd since I admit taking diet meds I know). But this is what most physicians and patients NEED to ask::::: Is having this jumpstart a decent trade off to losing no weight at all?
    Do I enjoy the constipation? NO! BUT it tells me when I havent been eating enough fruits and veggies. Have I had increased heart rate? Oh Yes! Usually when I was silly enough to drink a coke with my morning pill (this equaled Heather pinging off walls, and talking so fast she could barely process her thoughts and heaven forbid we werent busy at work!) BUT Vicoden (yep pain pills) make me that hyper. You get constipated eating healthy sometimes! and as long as youre drinking the right amount of water you have a very low risk of side-effects (ooops did someone exclude that detail when listing side-effects earlier?)

This site is about healthy weight loss but NO WHERE does it say "all-natural" weight loss. There are gastric bypass patients on here. and Lap-band patients. Those are not natural forms of weight loss (Great options though!) and have more side effects then adipex (more known deaths from gastric bypass then adipex) This is also a prescribed drug (yep controlled substance!) and THANK GOD! I wish EVERY diet pill on the market had to be a controlled substance! So those desperate to jump start their weight loss wouldnt resort to Hydroxy cut, or Hoodia, which have prooven more damaging then adipex to the heart and liver.
  • Noonoo757
    Noonoo757 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    AH how I love these posts!!

Sooo.... Im a pill taker :) I think pretty much everyone on my friends lists knows this because I truly enjoy responding to the anti-adipex postings!

I have been on Adipex three times in my life (i am an emotional eater)

Time #1) lost 60 lbs in 4 months. Which took me out of pre-type 2 diabetes-range. And it took me 3 years AND a pregnancy to gain it back.

Time #2) Shortly after pregnancy (couldnt breast feed) kept up my horrible eating habits due to being a stressed out single mom of a newborn/infant. Lost 15 lbs in a month. Did gain it back within a year.

Time #3) 3 Months, lost 48 lbs. Developed healthy eating habits again and discovered MFP. I am still losing (given at a much slower rate) and still have good eating habits.

*NOTE: STILL LOSING AFTER STOPPING ADIPEX*

I only encourage adipex under PHYSICIAN care where you see the actual DOCTOR at every visit (not the PA or Nurse Practitioner) I DO NOT encourage weight loss clinics prescribing it (most are owned and monitored by a physician but you only see the actual physician once maybe twice)

I also tell everyone you MUST develop good habits while on the medication. You also MUST taper off, do not stop cold turkey.

Yes the side-effects listed seem absolutly horrible. But half of those side-effects happen when taking your every day antibiotics! (given Im against unnecessary antibiotics so I take them rarely..... odd since I admit taking diet meds I know). But this is what most physicians and patients NEED to ask::::: Is having this jumpstart a decent trade off to losing no weight at all?
    Do I enjoy the constipation? NO! BUT it tells me when I havent been eating enough fruits and veggies. Have I had increased heart rate? Oh Yes! Usually when I was silly enough to drink a coke with my morning pill (this equaled Heather pinging off walls, and talking so fast she could barely process her thoughts and heaven forbid we werent busy at work!) BUT Vicoden (yep pain pills) make me that hyper. You get constipated eating healthy sometimes! and as long as youre drinking the right amount of water you have a very low risk of side-effects (ooops did someone exclude that detail when listing side-effects earlier?)

This site is about healthy weight loss but NO WHERE does it say "all-natural" weight loss. There are gastric bypass patients on here. and Lap-band patients. Those are not natural forms of weight loss (Great options though!) and have more side effects then adipex (more known deaths from gastric bypass then adipex) This is also a prescribed drug (yep controlled substance!) and THANK GOD! I wish EVERY diet pill on the market had to be a controlled substance! So those desperate to jump start their weight loss wouldnt resort to Hydroxy cut, or Hoodia, which have prooven more damaging then adipex to the heart and liver.
    i loved reading your post lol i dont advocate any kind of meds but i try to see both sides of the situation, i see people on here that do all kinds of meal replacements shakes that are loaded with all kinds of crazy stuff, i see people taking all kind of supplements because they want to tone and body build, lap bands, gastros i mean you name it its on here so i dont stand in judgment at all i simply say teach yourself healthy habits that will last a life time and make sure you are being watched by a doctor while on a prescription and make sure you really need it and the doc isnt just giving you a quick fix to put money in his pocket. At the end of the day hey what ever floats your boat as long as you dont damage yourself in the process.
  • AmBeRLyNnGETTINThIN
    AmBeRLyNnGETTINThIN Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I TOO AM BEING PRESCRIBED ADIPEX BY MY DOCTOR. HE IS A WEIGHT LOSS PHYSICIAN WHICH I THINK IS MUCH BETTER THEN HAVING A FAMILY DOCTOR PRESCRIBING IT....I JUST DONT THINK THEY GIVE U EVERYTHING U NEED TO BE ABLE TO MAINTAIN YOUR WEIGHTLOSS DURING AND AFTER. I THINK THAT IS IS VERY RUDE FOR THOSE THAT DO NOT AGREE WITH ALTERNATIVES TO ASSISTING WITH WEIGHT LOSS, ARE MAKING RUDE REMARKS ON THIS POST. WHAT YOU MUST UNDERSTAND IS THAT MOST OF US THAT ARE SEEKING THE ADDITIONAL ASSISTANCE THAT ADIPEX GIVES US, HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING ELSE. I HAVE TRIED THE REDUCED CALORIES AND EXERCISE, I HAVE TRIED ALL KINDS OF THINGS...I AM 5'0 AND ANYTHING OVER 115 LSEEKING LOOKS CHUBBY ON US! GOT NEWS...I STARTED OFF AT 244 LBS AND AGAIN I AM 5'0, I AM ABOUT 35 DAYS IN AND HAVE LOST 26 LBS! LET ME EXPLAIN SOMETHING TO YOU....THIS PILL IS TO BE TAKEN AS PRESCRIBED BY YOUR PHYSICIAN...IF UR PHYSICIAN PRESCRIBES YOU SOMETHING FOR UR DEPRESSION...IM SURE U ARE GOING TO TAKE IT....IF UR DOCTOR SAYS HEY IF U DONT LOST THIS WEIGHT YOU GOING TO DIE, HAVE DIABETES ETC, AND OFFERS SOME KIND OF ASSISTANCE AFTER U HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING ELSE....THEN I THINK MOST ARE GOING TO SAY YES PLEASE. FOR I WANT TO SAY THAT MY PHYSICIAN DOESN'T PRESRIBE TO JUST ANYONE OFF THE STREET. UR BMI HAS TO BE OVER 30 AND THEY WILL ONLY TREAT U TO 27. I TAKE HALF A PILL IN THE MORNING AND HALF A PILL IN THE AFTERNOON. FOR THOSE THAT ABUSE THE DRUG....THEY WILL REAP THE CONSEQUENCES....HOWEVER IF U HAVE DONE YOUR INVESTIGATING YOU WILL SEE THAT MOST SIDE EFFECTS AFFECT A VERY SMALLER POPULATION AS WITH ANY PRESCRIPTION DRUG. THE ONLY THING THAT ADIPEX DOES IS TEACH U TO EAT LESS, IT SUPPRESSES THAT HUNGER TRIGGER. YOU DO HAVE TO COUNT YOUR CALORIES....IF U ARE GOING TO DEPEND ON THE PILL TO DO IT ALL...GOOD LUCK....IT WONT WORK. I DO ZUMBA EVERY NIGHT FOR 65 MINUTES, I EAT NO MORE THEN 1200 CALORIES A DAY, AND DRINK MY RECOMMENDED AMOUNY OF WATER EVERY DAY! IF U ARE GOING TO SIT ON THE COUCH AND POP 2 ADIPEX IN A DAY...YEAH
  • AmBeRLyNnGETTINThIN
    AmBeRLyNnGETTINThIN Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    CONTINUED......YOU WILL NOT LOSE WEIGHT U WILL NOT DO ANYTHING AS A MATTER OF FACT. I KNOW FAR TOO MANY PEOPLE THAT HAVE KEPT WEIGHT OFF AND SUCCEEDED, HAD NO SIDE EFFECTS, AND HAD NO PROBLEMS WITH THE DRUG WHAT SO EVER. THIS COMING FROM A PERSON THAT NEVER NEVER NEVER TAKES EVEN A TYLENOL TO HELP A HEAD ACHE AND WHO HAS HAD A SUBSTANCE ABUSER IN MY FAMILY.....I WOULD NEVER NEVER NEVER PUT ANYTHING IN MY BODY THAT I THOUGHT WOULD BE SOMETHING THAT I COULDN'T TAKE MYSELF OFF OF.....AN ADDICT HAS THE ABILITY TO SAY NO BUT CHOOSES NOT TOO. I THINK ADDICTIONS ARE BOGUS AND IF U EVER TALK TO AN ADDICT....THEY WILL TELL U THEMSELVES....THEY CHOOSE TO TAKE THEIR DRUGS....THE DRUG DOESN'T TELL THEM TO DO TAKE IT.....SO FOR THOSE OF U THAT HAVEN'T EVER HAD ADIPEX BUT ARE JUST JUMPING ON THE JUDGEMENT TRAIN PLEASE REFRAIN FROM UR NEGATIVE REMARKS....CAUSE IN THE END...WHEN WE HAVE KEPT OUR WEIGHT OFF I KNOW I WILL BE FIRST TO COME BACK AND SAY TOLD YOU SO....I LOVE THIS SITE AND THE MOTIVATION IS WONDERFUL AND ITS AWFUL TO READ ALL THE NEGATIVE FEEDBACK THAT HAS BEEN POSTED....PLEASE JUST CONGRATULATE THE PERSON ON THEIR WEIGHT LOSS AND MOTIVATE THEM....DONT PASS JUDGEMENT. I HAVE NOT HAD ANY SIDE EFFECTS AT ALL FROM ADIPEX....AND FIND MYSELF ACTUALLY FORGETTING TO TAKE MY PILLS A LOT OF THE TIMES....I HAVEN'T FELT ANY DIFFERENT....NO HEADACHES, MOOD SWINGS, ETC....I WILL REMAIN ON ADIPEX UNTIL MY BMI IS 27 I STARTED OFF AT 47.7 AND I HAVE 102 LBS TO .LOSE WHILE ON ADIPEX, AFTER THAT MY GOAL IS TO GO TO 130....I WILL DO I WILL MAINTAIN MY 1200 CALS A DAY, AND MY STRICT WORK OUT REGIMEN AND EATING THE RIGHT THINGS, I WILL BE A SUCCESS STORY.
  • tatiana_13
    tatiana_13 Posts: 325
    Options
    I'm sure it does help. But, as others have said...what will you do when you've reached your goal? And the doctor says...well, you no longer meet the medical qualifications for this drug, and stops giving you the script? And you stop taking it, and your hunger comes back?

Not trying to rain on your parade. While this is a "hard work and sweat" website, the research is pretty clear that obesity is a medical problem/public health concern that most people will *never* overcome. All the preaching in the world won't change that fact. So anything that helps people, I am the last person to poo-poo their efforts out of turn. The research probably shows that this pill doesn't have a great long-term success rate. But, of course, the research shows that diet and exercise interventions alone have horrible success rates, and here we all are, on MFP, still trying those too...

But I would ask your doctor that question. What *do* most of his or her patients do once they've lost the weight? How do they cope with their no longer suppressed appetite? Because, really, losing weight, although it feels like the hardest thing in the world while we're doing.it..most of us have done it at least once. Usually a great deal more than once. We know how to lose weight. Its really the keeping it off that becomes the real battle. When you ask that question, if your doctor gives you a blank stare or gives you some vague nonsense about sensible eating habits, I'd try and find a better physician or an office with a better set of weight loss supports, because, as others have said, you'll eventually need more than the appetite suppressant qualities of the medication to keep the weight off.
  • wonnder1
    wonnder1 Posts: 460
    Options
    Everyone knows this is a paid advert/troll right? Whatever, the risks, and the cost far outweigh the benefits in my opinion. Just one more reason the diet industry is a billion dollar one.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!