"...was under his/her calorie goal"

Options
12346»

Replies

• WarmDontBurn
    WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    This thread is getting out of hand with people making negative comments about other people's open diary.

This is the reason I'm picky with who I friend and only have my diary open to my friends. It's really no one's business what someone eats or doesn't eat. If anyone wants your negativity, they'd ask. If you don't like the diet of someone who's diary you're reading, simply don't comment. It's really that simple.

The self importance in this thread is astonishing.

Misspenny762, feel free to add me as a friend. I'm no where near as judgmental as some on this site.

most sane comment in the whole thread so far.

If it is no one's business then the option to make your diary private is there. If you open it up then you are asking for it to be looked at and while I agree that for most if I don't "like" their diary I don't read it but what about those people starting out that are barely eating because they think that is the way should we not say something? Or being their "friend" doesn't mean you look out for them. Not to judge but to help?
  • naku
    naku Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    kay I have a question. I'm not trying to be rude or anything, I actually am asking an innocent question:
    I honestly DON'T understand how can some people never eat ANY of their exercise cals back and lose weight? this does not make sense to me. If I think about myself, personally, trying to do that:
    a.the math behind it makes no sense (starvation mode, gradual slowing down of metabolism etc.) b. I would get so starved I would go absolutely maniac. Maybe I just have an abnormally large appetite and it's something wrong with me? I don't know..

to answer your question, they lose weight because they eat less calories than what they burn.

simples!
  • liyahxoxo
    liyahxoxo Posts: 78
    Options

to answer your question, they lose weight because they eat less calories than what they burn.

simples!

But I thought that if you exercise a lot and don't eat any of the cals back and you end up with a low caloric intake total for the day and keep on doing this your body starts holding to every little thing you do eat and then it's hard to lose weight?
  • naku
    naku Posts: 109 Member
    Options

simples!

But I thought that if you exercise a lot and don't eat any of the cals back and you end up with a low caloric intake total for the day and keep on doing this your body starts holding to every little thing you do eat and then it's hard to lose weight?

maybe for some, but not for all. everyone is different.
    if you want to eat your exercise calories back and lose weight that way, great! if you don't want to eat your exercise calories back and lose weight that way, great too!

like said earlier, I myself haven't eaten my exercise calories back during my time on MFP. to be honest, I haven't ever even logged my exercise even though I go to the gym 3 times a week.
    during those 3 months, my calories have been around 800-1300 per day, probably averaging around 1000. according to my trainer I have increased my muscle mass, my blood works are pretty much perfect, I'm full of energy like never before and consider myself (quoting my doctor from 2 weeks ago) very healthy.
    my weight loss has once "stalled" for 2 weeks when I only lost 200g, but continued after that as I noticed I hadn't had much fibre during that time and adjusted.
    to be honest the closer I come to my goal weight, the easier this seems to be....

this is MY experience on weight loss, calories and exercise. yours might be different. the point is that there are no set rules that work for every single person. even the 1200 ultimate limit of calories doesn't work for everyone.

as long as you are healthy, get closer to your goal and feel happy about your progress, I wouldn't worry about what other people think or the rules they try to impose on others.
  • vraesgame
    vraesgame Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    OMG! Could you people whine any more? Celo didn't single anyone out, didn't tell anyone specifically that they are wrong, and didn't say anything in his post that should make you feel guilty about your eating. It is a free country. Do (or eat) whatever the hell you want. No one is forcing you to eat anything. Celo stated his OPINION about friend food diary comments. Geez people, if the OP offended you, you need to get some thicker skin....

I complete agree!! :tongue:
  • Rinny_D
    Rinny_D Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I found this post and all the responses interesting. Yes, I still have more than 100 pounds to lose, but I've belonged to various weight loss groups for more than a decade and have taken nutrition courses.

I think the most important thing, whether or not you are going to show support for someone, is to realize we're all different. And for those of us trying to lose, we need to understand where we came from and what it will take for our own bodies.

At my heaviest, I was maintaining 280 by taking in 3500-4000 calories a day. I've always been muscular and have always worked out. The fact that I could eat that much and maintain (whether or not I worked out) shocks some people, but that's my body. So when I found MFP, thanks to my new trainer, I realized why all those other programs didn't work for me. Going from 4000 calories a day to 1500 is unrealistic for me. But when I add my exercise (600-900 calories) to my base of 1550 (aiming for a 2 lb/week loss), it seems so much more doable. Even taking in 2500 calories a day now results in a loss for me because I was maintaining at 3500-4000 before.

So, I think that we all need to realize the differences in our bodies, and we all need to be supportive only when we know what the other person is going through. I have a friend on thyroid medication who finds it very hard to lose weight eating 1500 calories a day. I'm supportive of her regardless of her eating 1300 or 1700 because I know her struggles. So I guess what I'm saying is that maybe instead of throwing out a blanket of support for people you don't really know, you focus, instead, on supporting those you DO know.

Food for thought, that's all. :-)

Although you raise some great points I have been on Thyroid replacement for my ENTIRE life. I know how much it screws with your body!

But at the end of the day of you eat well, exercise regularly, live well and have regular blood tests to get your levels right you will be fine!!!!

The more you use the Thyroid issues as an excuse, the less you are taking accountability for your own actions and the harder it is to get the required or desired outcomes.

I have tampered with my medication levels to make it so I loose weight quicker or been lazy/depressed and not taken it because I didn't want to care and slowed my body up. But you know what...... When I stopped doing that crap and started doing it the proper way and took accountability for my own actions... That is when the results started actually making their appearance!

And to repeat this post was more so aimed at those (in my opinion) who are eating under calorie goal by a LOT, day after day after day- (eg 500 cal per day total with OR without exercise) and then eating **** like 1 KFC meal and that's it..... seriously!
  • Rinny_D
    Rinny_D Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I was actually thinking about this topic earlier this morning. I think that a lot of people don't do research on the best ways to approach weight loss. The general thought process is less calories = weight loss. Many people don't think about the minimum their body needs to operate, and applaud themselves for barely eating anything, because that seems like the fastest way to get to their goals.

I understand that people's bodies function differently, and there are many different goals, but I agree that applauding someone who could be unintentionally sabotaging their goals or their health because of a lack of information, is not helpful.

VERY well said :D
  • Azuleelan
    Azuleelan Posts: 218
    Options

simples!

The point of having a deficit is to make you go into your fat reserves. Slowly but surely, your body does (faster the fatter you are). If you don't eat back your exercise calories, BUT make sure to eat a minimum of 1200 AND take enough protein (40%) then you are NOT going into starvation but are forcing your body to go into its fats reserves for all that exercise you did.
    Most ppl seem to not understand that, I think because all their info comes only from this site.
    BTW, this site is awesome, it's a great place to start, but for those who have a bit more knowledge, it has a couple of issues, like adding up those calories by default, and requiring you to eat too little protein.

Happy weigh loss :)
  • liyahxoxo
    liyahxoxo Posts: 78
    Options
    @ Azuleelan and naku:

ooh I see.
    Thanks, it cleared this huge conflict for me. :smile:
    I think that it's fair to say that each and every body is so different that what works wonders for one, does not work for the other. you just have to find what your body works best with- that right balance.
  • Mmmary212
    Mmmary212 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    kay I have a question. I'm not trying to be rude or anything, I actually am asking an innocent question:
    I honestly DON'T understand how can some people never eat ANY of their exercise cals back and lose weight? this does not make sense to me. If I think about myself, personally, trying to do that:
    a.the math behind it makes no sense (starvation mode, gradual slowing down of metabolism etc.) b. I would get so starved I would go absolutely maniac. Maybe I just have an abnormally large appetite and it's something wrong with me? I don't know..

I will answer for myself, and only myself.

It's not how much I eat....it's WHAT I eat....