Let's make a pact: Cleaning house IS NOT AN EXERCISE

Options

Replies

• StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    It was interesting reading this thread. I don't know that it really matters as we are all our own keepers. I can tell you for me and my wife it helps us determine our level of activity and adjust to get ourselves moving. While we haven't been logging house cleaning it helps to look it up and see overall calories burned against the BMR (which is the caloric needs to lay there and breathe for a day). I adjusted my activity level to compensate and put my goals back to my goals not the goal the site has, because I do need to have a calorie deficit as I really want this weight off.
    That being said,.....There is a kickin training routine for increasing your vertical jump used by NBA atheletes. It does kinda make sense to put condiments up high and have to work for them cause they tend to be the hidden calories we forget about. (with the exception of Mustard which is nil calories) Happy posting to all and if I thought posting would increase my calorie output I would learn to type with more than twop fingers. It would be worth it. Kinda like circut training for your hands! :ohwell:
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I havent used that site in years, I didn't need it after my kids got old enough to do their share of chores, bedrooms and their own laundry. :)
    you all need to join flylady.net
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    you all need to join flylady.net

Great idea! When I was doing the cleaning my Control Journal was my bible... I just got my husband started on the 30 day starter baby steps. He finally realized that it's more efficient.
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I always wonder that too when I see people talking about cleaning their kids rooms, doing their laundry especially. They can do these, and help with the chores.
    We have six bedrooms,two baths, entry way, laundry room, two halls, a walk in closet, and kitchen... No way could I do it on my own. In fact I have been in a bit of a state of panic, as I have a 20 yr old who has left home, an 18 yr old leaving in five months, a 17 yr old and 16 yr old. I told my husband we have got to sell this house, so I have a one story, and 2 or 3 bedroom house to clean on my own... And by then, maybe I can afford a house cleaner. lol.

My kids definitely know how to do all the chores necessary to live, my oldest has even thanked me for making him clean, after seeing how dirty some people keep their houses. and ours is not spotless, just everyone chipping in.
    I am still wondering why nobodies kids are helping with all these chores??? I think that should be the hot topic of conversation...
  • vale131
    vale131 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I DEFINITELY log it because I sweat, walk, bend and carry...so you get your cardio and strength training in.
  • DoReMiFaSoLaTiDo
    Options
    there are days I sweat standing still.... swooshing lysol in the toilet aint adding burned calories for me....

I break out in a sweat if my cat's litterbox goes an extra day between cleaning....but I dont even count bringing 50 lb bag of litter from the car as strength training....

thats my personal accountability... if counting works for YOU, so be it.... If you cleaned like my mother, who religiously got on her knees with a dust rag to clean & wax our hardwood floors) you probably burned a lot more calories than I now do with my swiffer
  • tinalina81
    Options
    I have never logged it and never will.I see it this way. I got fat and was still cleaning so I must have not burned that many calories or else I wouldn't have gotten fat LOL
    :tongue:
  • alexbowser
    alexbowser Posts: 322
    Options
    I do dishes everyday and clean the kitchen, and I wouldn't count it. However, when I scrub down my basement and pack for my move I'll probably count a few hours, because I probably won't get to exercise on the days I work on that.
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I don't count it. The reason I don't is because, I was told by a doctor that if you are talking about something that is in your regular routine, that it is not exercise. I had mentioned that I walked a lot and was on my feet a lot for work and he said that would not count as exercise in a weight loss program. Having said that, that is me and it works for ME.

I love MFP, sometimes I just wish it could be judge free zone!
  • JohnnyNull
    JohnnyNull Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    So people are reaching 600 calorie "workouts" in part because they "cleaned the house"... wtf??? Should I add "Run to catch the bus" or "jump to reach the mustard"?? We are tryin to lose weight here, let's be honest! Who's in?

The truth hurts. Rock on!
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I am still wondering why nobodies kids are helping with all these chores??? I think that should be the hot topic of conversation...
    :laugh: :laugh:
  • DebbieMc3
    DebbieMc3 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I agree! I see so many people counting things like cleaning or shopping. I don't get it. I would be concerned about eating back those calories.
  • PamDW
    PamDW Posts: 246
    Options
    My points in this discussion:

1. I log it into my exercise log, but it is never the end all total. I am always over my exercise goals.
    2. I think that if people log it in and it is working for them, that is ALL that matters.
    3. My kids and husband help me clean, doesn't mean there isnt still alot of scrub in the matter.
    4. For me, I have lost 31 pounds in 71 days. So whatever I am doing is working.
    5. Judgement free zone would be nice, but a little debate is healthy and it can help give you some different perspectives.
    6. I think however that tactful responses might be more helpful for people that are more sensitive. Remember, typically when people are trying to lose weight there is an emotional rollercoaster going on anyway and we all need to be cognizant of this. I have had my share of not being tactful at times.
    7. And last, don't worry about what other people think. Use comments as 'food' for thought (pun intended) ideas, but not a judgement against you. I have taken alot of things people have said and used them to my advantage... might have even tried something new.
    ok, off my soap box.
    You all have a great day! Do what YOU need to do!
  • meggiemaye
    meggiemaye Posts: 117
    Options
    So basically people who don't agree with what you have to say are defensive and have low self-confidence? :laugh: That's a bizarre leap to make. But I like it! From now on, every time someone disagrees with me, I'm going to vehemently insist it's only because they have low self-confidence (clearly people with high self-confidence would think I was brilliant and witty and agree with every word I say). Then I will log "wasting my breath" as cardio and "clinging to delusions" as strength training. Oh the lbs I will lose!

This is hilarious! I'm going to use this!! Because after all it makes total sense. When I feel like I'm being attacked, I will immediately turn it around on the other person. Example:

Boyfriend: Did you do the dishes like I asked you to this morning?
    Me: STOP BEING DEFENSIVE!!

I am super satisfied now that I feel I have gained something from this thread. :)
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    So basically people who don't agree with what you have to say are defensive and have low self-confidence? :laugh: That's a bizarre leap to make. But I like it! From now on, every time someone disagrees with me, I'm going to vehemently insist it's only because they have low self-confidence (clearly people with high self-confidence would think I was brilliant and witty and agree with every word I say). Then I will log "wasting my breath" as cardio and "clinging to delusions" as strength training. Oh the lbs I will lose!

This is hilarious! I'm going to use this!! Because after all it makes total sense. When I feel like I'm being attacked, I will immediately turn it around on the other person. Example:

Boyfriend: Did you do the dishes like I asked you to this morning?
    Me: STOP BEING DEFENSIVE!!

I am super satisfied now that I feel I have gained something from this thread. :)

:laugh: :laugh:
  • Azuleelan
    Azuleelan Posts: 218
    Options
    I have to say that it is relative. Right now house cleaning is not something I would record because I am very fit and do two-a-days of running, cycling, and P90X. But for less fit people with lower activity levels house cleaning is probably exercise worth recording. I'm not just voicing a middle of the road "let's all get along" thought; this is science. Covert Bailey explains in his books that from a fitness perspective its all a matter of stressing the body causing physiological reactions. An out of shape person walking uphill may cause the same reactions within their body as an Olympic level athlete does with an all out 100 yard sprint. Bailey is a nutritionist who has a degree in biochemistry from MIT, so I think he knows what he is talking about. So it is an individual thing. For some people housecleaning is true exercise but the same activity for another (like myself) is not exercise.

This was great. I guess there are a lot more people who have been true coach potatoes and they need to add as an exercise something as light as cleaning a house. For some reason I had trouble believing there are real people that don't move, but seeing the amount of hate around here, now I'm convinced there are a whole lot...
  • Azuleelan
    Options
    I have never logged it and never will.I see it this way. I got fat and was still cleaning so I must have not burned that many calories or else I wouldn't have gotten fat LOL
    :tongue:

This is awesome!! I did kind of wondered... so people who got really fat weren't doing any cleaning? I would think we all got fatty DESPITE our cleanings and jumping for mustard, lol!

You have a great sense of humor :flowerforyou:
  • Azuleelan
    Options
    My points in this discussion:

1. I log it into my exercise log, but it is never the end all total. I am always over my exercise goals.
    2. I think that if people log it in and it is working for them, that is ALL that matters.
    3. My kids and husband help me clean, doesn't mean there isnt still alot of scrub in the matter.
    4. For me, I have lost 31 pounds in 71 days. So whatever I am doing is working.
    5. Judgement free zone would be nice, but a little debate is healthy and it can help give you some different perspectives.
    6. I think however that tactful responses might be more helpful for people that are more sensitive. Remember, typically when people are trying to lose weight there is an emotional rollercoaster going on anyway and we all need to be cognizant of this. I have had my share of not being tactful at times.
    7. And last, don't worry about what other people think. Use comments as 'food' for thought (pun intended) ideas, but not a judgement against you. I have taken alot of things people have said and used them to my advantage... might have even tried something new.
    ok, off my soap box.
    You all have a great day! Do what YOU need to do!

Great points... My biggestfail is #6, I'm no babysitter :smile:
  • meggiemaye
    meggiemaye Posts: 117
    Options
    I guess there are a lot more people who have been true coach potatoes and they need to add as an exercise something as light as cleaning a house. For some reason I had trouble believing there are real people that don't move, but seeing the amount of hate around here, now I'm convinced there are a whole lot...

:laugh: Every time I think you've said the worst thing you could you shock me! Although I still feel like there are deeper explanations than you seem capable of, I have to give you tons of kudos...this has really been one of the funniest threads I've ever read on this site.

Hopefully though people won't let the ignorance of others affect their opinions of themselves. Many people have debilitating illnesses and other extenuating circumstances, be they physical or emotional, that lead to weight gain.

I personally have ovarian cancer. I was diagnosed with Stage IV at age 16. Lots of people think that makes you thin as you waste away on chemo...not necessarily true. I gained over eighty pounds in less than a year due to doctor-enforced bed-rest, hormone therapy, and medications that trick one's body into conservation. It was bad at first and then spread to my uterus and finally to life-sustaining organs, at which point they finally told me, "Fine, go ahead and exercise if you want to...it can't possibly hurt you at this point."

It's entirely possible to be a successful athlete who gains a sudden and massive amount of weight even without being a "couch potato." Overweight is not synonymous with lazy, disgusting, having a low self-esteem, being defensive, or any of the other cruel and inaccurate comments that have been thrown out in this thread.

Everyone is here because they want to make a positive change in their lives. They don't have to do it your way, and they don't all fit into your stereotypes. We're all people here, and we're all here because we need positive support from others. Why is that so difficult to understand?
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I don't count it....and never will.
This discussion has been closed.