non MFP related! I need some cleaning tips!

Options
DreamLittleDarling
DreamLittleDarling Posts: 800 Member
Ok, For any of you that have ever lived in some sort of "public housing" like apartments, military housing, etc...

I live in the housing on post at Fort Polk, and as I'm sure you can guess, it's old and even when it's clean, it doesn't look like it is... My biggest issue is the bathrooms! They look SO gross!

How on earth can I get the nasty stains out of the toilets, sinks, and tubs?! I have used bleach, scrubbing bubbles, 409, kaboom... I know there are tons of "non cleaner" items that people use for cleaning, but I don't know what.... so does anyone have any suggestions?!

My MIL is coming to visit soon and she's very judgemental, even if these stains are not our fault, it WILL be my fault. I gotta make this house freakin spotless! So any help is appreciated!!

Replies

• corrinnebrown
    Options
    try CLR for the stains :)
  • kelley4123
    kelley4123 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    lemon juice always works for sink, toilet and bath stains. pour it on/in, leave for 30mins or so then rub and rinse!
  • missy1970eb
    missy1970eb Posts: 1,209
    Options
    try some vinegar:smile: and coke but u need to leave it for about 30 mins
  • MrsB81
    MrsB81 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I cilet bang everything!
  • DreamLittleDarling
    Options
    just plain white vinegar?

thank you all!!!!! I'm gonna try all of those TODAY! lol
  • polar5554
    polar5554 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    try some vinegar:smile:

What she said...
  • alienblonde1
    alienblonde1 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I have heard Tang works but haven't tried it. Tang is a powdered drink mix. (In case you didn't know)

Try Grease Lightning, Just be careful not to use on painted surfaces (tubs ok). Also make sure well ventilated.
  • loriannmartin
    loriannmartin Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    is it a rust stain? have you tried i think it is called CLR ??? i know it takes rust,hard water stains,and lime remover. our water where we used to live used to stain everything. it was the hardest water ever and our glass shower always had white stains and it cleaned it off, and our tub and toilet had rust marks from water and it help there too... good luck
  • alexmommy
    alexmommy Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Vinegar is an awesome natural cleaner! Also baking soda to scrub out stains works amazing too!
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    My old roommate used hydrochloric acid to clean his bathtub and it did wonders. If you live on a military base, i also hear WMD's works.
  • audbbgirl
    audbbgirl Posts: 83
    Options
    I like lysol tub and tile, comet, and I heard coke works in the toilet...never tried it.
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,300 Member
    Options
    Make a paste with white vinegar and salt, (or as close to a paste as you can get it, it a bit grainy) rub it into the bathroon stains and wrap with paper towles. Leave to sit for a couple of hours and a gentle rub should be enough to remove even the toughest stain. Good luck!

For rust stains you need something that has oxalic acid in it. Not sure what cleaners are availble in the US, I usually just pinch a bit from work!
  • BeLightYear
    BeLightYear Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    Iron Out or The Works will do it, but make sure you have proper ventilation!!:sick:
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,300 Member
    Options
    I like lysol tub and tile, comet, and I heard coke works in the toilet...never tried it.

coke has sulphuric acid in it, so that makes it a great cleaner
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I heard coke works in the toilet...never tried it.
    I though coke only works when you hear pounding on the door announcing "POLICE!"
  • live2smyle
    live2smyle Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    There is a product called Sno Bowl....Its not to expensive and can be found anywhere. I have used this on toilets that were black from water sitting in them and its gotten them snowy white again :happy:
  • live2smyle
    live2smyle Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I heard coke works in the toilet...never tried it.
    I though coke only works when you hear pounding on the door announcing "POLICE!"
    :laugh:
  • DreamLittleDarling
    Options
    the sinks and tubs are just from water, the worst one is the tub/shower in the master bath... it's just funky! When we moved in I wouldn't let anyone use it until I scrubbed it with bleach from top to bottom because I thought it was just not cleaned, but it looked the same when I was done lol.

the toilet in the half bath is a combination of just funky from water (mold grows in the toilets here, I've never seen that before, it's SO FREAKING GROSS) and my husband's attempt at helping me clean... he put in some lysol toilet cleaner, the blue kind, and then "let it sit" because he thought that would help... no, it turned the inside of the toilet blue... I got most of it out, but there's still blue streaks in it lol.

The toilet in the kids bathroom... what can I say... my daughter has an unusual fear of flushing the toilet before showers, and forgets after showers, sometimes it gets left over night if I don't think about it and go check it after her shower. So it's stained from not being flushed. I have cleaned it several times... once I figured out that was happening. But it was a couple weeks of her doing that before I knew what was going on, and by then I guess the damage had been done...
  • ramseyrose
    ramseyrose Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Toothpaste is good. Also if you can face doing it make a paste out of biological washing powder and water and press onto the toilet bowl. Leave for a couple of hours then give it a scrub. I saw this on TV and take no responsibilty for a soapsud massacre! LOL!
  • DreamLittleDarling
    Options
    My old roommate used hydrochloric acid to clean his bathtub and it did wonders. If you live on a military base, i also hear WMD's works.

dude... these houses ALL need WMD's! ...but I can't find them... :huh: