non MFP related! I need some cleaning tips!

Options
2»

Replies

• DreamLittleDarling
    DreamLittleDarling Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I heard coke works in the toilet...never tried it.
    I though coke only works when you hear pounding on the door announcing "POLICE!"

no... I think that's when coke DOESN'T work lol
  • DreamLittleDarling
    Options
    Toothpaste is good. Also if you can face doing it make a paste out of biological washing powder and water and press onto the toilet bowl. Leave for a couple of hours then give it a scrub. I saw this on TV and take no responsibilty for a soapsud massacre! LOL!

what is biological washing powder? Im willing to try anything lol, but I dunno what that is?
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I have a very old linoleum floor in my kitchen which is theoreticlly mostly white. It almost never looks white in the traffic areas as whatever that shiny sealant on top is wore off before I bought this house. I started adding Oxy-Clean to the floor cleaner and the floor looks so much better it's not even funny!

If you have one of those plastic showers, one of the best tips I ever got was to use car wax on the walls (CAREFUL NOT TO GE ANY ON THE FLOOR) after you get them as clean as possible. After that, washing them is a breeze!
  • DreamLittleDarling
    Options
    I have a very old linoleum floor in my kitchen which is theoreticlly mostly white. It almost never looks white in the traffic areas as whatever that shiny sealant on top is wore off before I bought this house. I started adding Oxy-Clean to the floor cleaner and the floor looks so much better it's not even funny!

If you have one of those plastic showers, one of the best tips I ever got was to use car wax on the walls (CAREFUL NOT TO GE ANY ON THE FLOOR) after you get them as clean as possible. After that, washing them is a breeze!

yes! it's plastic... and oolllldddd! I also have linoleum floors in the kitchen and all 3 bathrooms! I thought about using oxi clean on the sinks and tubs, and now I will also try it on my floors! Thanks!
  • Katbaran
    Katbaran Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Everyone gave you some good suggestions and I don't have any to add. I've used CLR when we lived in military housing. We lived at Fort Polk for a couple years in the mid 90's. Whereabouts are you? We lived on Harrell St. in South Fort.
  • Christie422
    Christie422 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest CLR for the rust stains too, and vinegar does work great for hard water stains around the faucets. Try wrapping some paper towels around any hard water spots and soaking it with vinegar and let it sit for 30 minutes. Also Borax is great for things you need to scrub, non abrasive and cheap too!
  • sccamero
    sccamero Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    lately my cleaner of choice is Mr. Clean's magic eraser. It scrubbed out my shower really good and simple to use.
  • DreamLittleDarling
    Options
    Everyone gave you some good suggestions and I don't have any to add. I've used CLR when we lived in military housing. We lived at Fort Polk for a couple years in the mid 90's. Whereabouts are you? We lived on Harrell St. in South Fort.
    [/quote

We live in the old officer housing in North Fort. There's new officer housing now, so now this is all junior enlisted. I'm guessing officers don't clean... this house was so nasty when we moved in. And it's one of the few in the neighborhood that hasn't been remodeled yet, so I have all the original linoleum and toilets, tubs, etc...

I actually really love our house and don't wanna go anywhere else cuz I know we won't get another house like this lol. We have 3 bedrooms, 2 1/2 baths, and a garage and HUGE utility room... so aside from the stains in the bathrooms, I really do love this house!
  • kajun_at_work
    kajun_at_work Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Pumice stone, they sell them around the household cleaning supplies.
  • Katbaran
    Katbaran Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    We live in the old officer housing in North Fort. There's new officer housing now, so now this is all junior enlisted. I'm guessing officers don't clean... this house was so nasty when we moved in. And it's one of the few in the neighborhood that hasn't been remodeled yet, so I have all the original linoleum and toilets, tubs, etc...

I actually really love our house and don't wanna go anywhere else cuz I know we won't get another house like this lol. We have 3 bedrooms, 2 1/2 baths, and a garage and HUGE utility room... so aside from the stains in the bathrooms, I really do love this house!

Sounds like you live in what was the "new" housing when we were there. You hit the jackpot! Your quarters sound huge! We lived in a 4 plex that was a two bedroom nightmare. They condemned it shortly after we left due to a large crack and gap in the foundation separating the two sides! Please tell me that the newer quarters don't have either the baby poop brown carpeting or the puke green carpeting! lol. At least it didn't show anything at all that was spilled on it!

I hope you are able to get your house in order!
  • NobodyKnows
    NobodyKnows Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I though coke only works when you hear pounding on the door announcing "POLICE!"

:laugh:
  • NobodyKnows
    NobodyKnows Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    My old roommate used hydrochloric acid to clean his bathtub and it did wonders. If you live on a military base, i also hear WMD's works.

dude... these houses ALL need WMD's! ...but I can't find them... :huh:

George Bush had that same problem.
  • DreamLittleDarling
    Options

Sounds like you live in what was the "new" housing when we were there. You hit the jackpot! Your quarters sound huge! We lived in a 4 plex that was a two bedroom nightmare. They condemned it shortly after we left due to a large crack and gap in the foundation separating the two sides! Please tell me that the newer quarters don't have either the baby poop brown carpeting or the puke green carpeting! lol. At least it didn't show anything at all that was spilled on it!

I hope you are able to get your house in order!

haha, no our carpets are a beige color... dumb dumb dumb for housing with such a high turnover! it shows EVERY thing that's spilled! And I have 2 kids, so that works out great lol.
  • DreamLittleDarling
    Options
    My old roommate used hydrochloric acid to clean his bathtub and it did wonders. If you live on a military base, i also hear WMD's works.

dude... these houses ALL need WMD's! ...but I can't find them... :huh:

George Bush had that same problem.

glad someone got that! LOL
  • spoiledwifenikki
    Options
    Vinegar is an awesome natural cleaner! Also baking soda to scrub out stains works amazing too!

use vinegar and baking soda mixture. Also have you tried works bathroom cleaner. IT works for the toilet and bath
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    TSP takes pretty much anything out of anything. Go to the hardware store and ask for TSP or Trisodium Phosphate powder. You do not want to leave it on metal surfaces very long though. Works great on walls, showers (plastic ones) and floors. A little goes a long way.
  • alienblonde1
    alienblonde1 Posts: 749 Member
    Options

lol:laugh:
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    TSP takes pretty much anything out of anything. Go to the hardware store and ask for TSP or Trisodium Phosphate powder. You do not want to leave it on metal surfaces very long though. Works great on walls, showers (plastic ones) and floors. A little goes a long way.

Wear gloves with that stuff! I used to use it when I painted houses for a year in college-it is awesome on mildew and prepping surfaces for painting! But you're going to want some gloves. ;)