Bad ride--almost passed out!/2253 calories burned??

Options
Ok, so this morning I set out at 6:15am intending to go for a 30 mile ride. But it was so cool (only 70), I had plenty of water, and felt great, so I did the 30 and kept going.

Took a couple breaks--at 15 miles, I ate my South Beach meal bar.

At the 25 miles mark, I stopped in a little store and refilled my water, bought a HUGE blueberry muffin!, ate every bit and kept going.

I was hoping to make 60 miles today.

Got to the 47 mile mark, took a break, called hubby, was chilling out for few, and then all of sudden, I about passed out! I had spots in front of my eyes, legs went out from under me, I barely made it to the ditch to sit down.

Of course, I hadn't bought my test kit with me so I couldn't check my blood sugar levels. I didn't think I'd need it since originally I was only going 30 miles--DUMB MOVE! So I made it to the ditch and figured it had to be my levels down. So I chewed some glucose tablets (4 to be exact)--second big mistake!

Didn't feel better, so called DH for a pick-up and told him to bring my test kit with him. By the time he got there--20 minutes later--I was at 221 thanks to the glucose tablets :sick:

Now I really felt like crud.

And, I was starving!

According to my Polar F6, I had burned up 2253 calories!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2253 freaking calories!

I had him stop at Burger King on way home I was SOOOOOOOOOOO hungry and got a Sourdough Bacon Cheeseburger. I could have eaten 10 of them! But I settled for 1 and ate that without the bread. I figured my BG level didn't need to go up anymore. Got a HUGE Diet Coke and sucked that up, too.

I'm feeling better now, but still have not urinated--so it is most likely I was dehydrated and it wasn't my BG levels.

My DH thinks I was dehyrdrated and didn't drink enough. But at the point where I almost passed out, I had drank 124 ounces of water, which is about a gallon. I had been riding for 4 hours at that point, and the temp. was 88.

It is possible I didn't drink enough--not sure if it was that or my levels since I didn't have my kit.

Either way, I'm frustrated. I can't seem to break that 52 mile mark I set a couple weeks ago.

And, it's so hard to keep my levels straight when I'm riding long miles like this---I'm just so over this diabetes! hissyfit8wr.gif

Plus, I can't believe I burned up 2253 calories! Can that even be right???? that is definitely a new record for me.

Even with the BK burger, the muffin, and the South Beach Bar, I've still got over 1800 calories to eat today. :sick:

Replies

• shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Ok, so this morning I set out at 6:15am intending to go for a 30 mile ride. But it was so cool (only 70), I had plenty of water, and felt great, so I did the 30 and kept going.

Took a couple breaks--at 15 miles, I ate my South Beach meal bar.

At the 25 miles mark, I stopped in a little store and refilled my water, bought a HUGE blueberry muffin!, ate every bit and kept going.

I was hoping to make 60 miles today.

Got to the 47 mile mark, took a break, called hubby, was chilling out for few, and then all of sudden, I about passed out! I had spots in front of my eyes, legs went out from under me, I barely made it to the ditch to sit down.

Of course, I hadn't bought my test kit with me so I couldn't check my blood sugar levels. I didn't think I'd need it since originally I was only going 30 miles--DUMB MOVE! So I made it to the ditch and figured it had to be my levels down. So I chewed some glucose tablets (4 to be exact)--second big mistake!

Didn't feel better, so called DH for a pick-up and told him to bring my test kit with him. By the time he got there--20 minutes later--I was at 221 thanks to the glucose tablets :sick:

Now I really felt like crud.

And, I was starving!

According to my Polar F6, I had burned up 2253 calories!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2253 freaking calories!

I had him stop at Burger King on way home I was SOOOOOOOOOOO hungry and got a Sourdough Bacon Cheeseburger. I could have eaten 10 of them! But I settled for 1 and ate that without the bread. I figured my BG level didn't need to go up anymore. Got a HUGE Diet Coke and sucked that up, too.

I'm feeling better now, but still have not urinated--so it is most likely I was dehydrated and it wasn't my BG levels.

My DH thinks I was dehyrdrated and didn't drink enough. But at the point where I almost passed out, I had drank 124 ounces of water, which is about a gallon. I had been riding for 4 hours at that point, and the temp. was 88.

It is possible I didn't drink enough--not sure if it was that or my levels since I didn't have my kit.

Either way, I'm frustrated. I can't seem to break that 52 mile mark I set a couple weeks ago.

And, it's so hard to keep my levels straight when I'm riding long miles like this---I'm just so over this diabetes! hissyfit8wr.gif

Plus, I can't believe I burned up 2253 calories! Can that even be right???? that is definitely a new record for me.

Even with the BK burger, the muffin, and the South Beach Bar, I've still got over 1800 calories to eat today. :sick:
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    Dude, that's a lot of miles. Awesome job for getting that far! :flowerforyou:

Your body probably just freaked out from losing that many calories. Honestly, I have no idea, but great job on getting as far as you got!
  • bleachcse
    bleachcse Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    All I can say is WOW. I can't help but think you're a bit nuts, lol. I couldn't even bike 5 miles without falling over.
  • tanzmamma
    tanzmamma Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    WOW that's a LONG ride!

I'm glad you're ok!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • tech_sarah
    Options
    I'd say the HRM was right. I dont know how much you weigh, but when I ride 34 miles I burn @ 1600 calories... Good job
  • shorerider
    Options
    This was my first long ride with my Polar, so I'm a little leery. It had me burning a little over 1300 for a 21 mile ride I did the other day, so that works out about right. My old HRM put me at 1800 or so for a 52 miles ride I did but I found out later it was broke!
  • jamdblake4
    jamdblake4 Posts: 179
    Options
    I'm new to MFP so I'm going to ask some question. Do you belong to a bike club. with all the mile you put in you need to eat better. A muffen was not the right food I don't think, you need slower burning carbs and protien. If I hit the gym for more then 2 hours I have shank with me sometime 2 shakes.
    You didn't feel hungry? while you where riding?
    Whan I started out on my bodybuilding quest I talked to some guy who have competed about what to eat how to workout I still talk to those guy.
    All that being said 2253 frecking calories great work!!!!!!!!! hang in there you'll break through 52 mile just next time plan to go 53 mile and know when to stop.
  • Javancub
    Javancub Posts: 181
    Options
    My fiance is diabetic and i know that when we go for our 7 mile walks, he tends to get low. I'm sure it has alot to do with the fact that your burning alot of calories (and sugar) You might also need electrolites which helps keep your body hydrated. Water alone might not be enough with the amount of exercise that your doing. I hope this helps.
  • shorerider
    Options
    jamdblake4--

No bike club around me, plus I like to cycle alone, so always go by myself. No where near fast enough to keep up with others either. All I've got is a Raleigh Hybrid, so manage about 12.5 mph average and that's about it.

Yeah, the muffin wasn't probably great--but it looked so good! I figured the South Beach Meal Bar would have helped me some, too. And, I knew I need something else to eat at that point and like I said, they looked great! Homemade on the spot right there in the store!

Plus, I think I really need to get some sugar-free sports drink of some kind. I know they make them but I can't find them in my area.

No hunger while riding--I ate the bar and muffin because I knew I needed to eat something. I had a good breakfast before I left home. Now I'm still hungry--going grab a PB sandwich here in a bit I think.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I try to avoid sugary drinks, and I've been using "Emergen-C" packets in my water during my two hour gym sessions. It helps with the electrolyte imbalance. I don't think there's any (or much) sugar in them. I've even seen them at Wal-Mart. I love them.

My doctor told me that actually drinking too much plain water during exercise can lead to dehydration (apparently your body just can't utilize it quick enough? I'm not quite sure).

Also, there's a bottled water called "smart water" that contains electrolyte minerals I drink because gatorade just seems like Kool-aid to me.

Glad you're OK. . .thank goodness for cellphones.
  • shorerider
    Options

Got that right! And thank God I was in an area where mine actually got a signal! Not too many areas where mine works out in the 'sticks'.

Anyway, I've drank about 70 ounces of water since being home, and just now urinated. And, my BG levels had plummeted, so am eating a big sandwich and still scratching my head as to if it was BG levels or dehydration but am leaning towards thinking it was little of both.

I also keep my sodium levels below 1600 a day, so am wondering if that makes me more susceptible to needing some kind of electrolyte replacement? Anyone know?

Lessons learned

--drink more water on rides!
    --always take my test kit (DUMB DUMB DUMB move there!)
    --got something better to eat than a Blueberry muffin!
    --got some kind of something with some electrolytes!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options

I also keep my sodium levels below 1600 a day, so am wondering if that makes me more susceptible to needing some kind of electrolyte replacement? Anyone know?

I have a condition where I dehydrate easily and my doctor specifically tells me to NOT restrict my sodium. I'm not sure how that applies to heavy exercisers. . .but now I'm curious. I find that I really have to have not just plain water.

check out this article I found:

http://www.ultracycling.com/nutrition/hyponatremia2.html
  • shorerider
    Options
    VivaKay! Thanks for the tip on the Emergent-C. I checked it out on Amazon.com and it is sugar-free! I ordered a box of 36 packs. It will be here in 2 days. !!

:drinker: :drinker:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options

My doctor told me that actually drinking too much plain water during exercise can lead to dehydration (apparently your body just can't utilize it quick enough? I'm not quite sure).

There is such a thing as overhydrating. (This comment has nothing to do with the following info however.)

My husband had a heat stroke during an Army ruck march a few years back. He was drinking all the water he was supposed to, but like you referenced, his cells simply couldn't absorb anymore, which became quickly evident when he began vomiting water.

I was wondering about your core temp when I read this the first time through. Even though it wasn't blazing hot outside, could you have overheated? Dehydration is followed by heat injury (muscle cramps), heat exhaustion, and finally heat stroke. You can jump steps. Maybe you were experiencing heat exhaustion?

If in fact you could have been experiencing heat exhaustion, you may want to get to a doctor and fairly quick. They kept my hubby in the hospital for over a week, checking levels of some-enzyme-I-cannot-remember in his blood. The enzymes indicated the level of kidney and liver damage. They were hoping to (and did) see the levels drop daily as his body began to heal and repair.
  • shorerider
    Options
    I was wondering about your core temp when I read this the first time through. Even though it wasn't blazing hot outside, could you have overheated? Dehydration is followed by heat injury (muscle cramps), heat exhaustion, and finally heat stroke. You can jump steps. Maybe you were experiencing heat exhaustion?

Could be---not sure. I had not been able to get my HR to come down for about 30 mins. prior to this--it was hovering around 155-160--even though I had dropped my pace to 9mph from 12.5.

My DH had just said something about core temp., too! Spooky!

I know I still have a lot to lose yet and maybe it is just too much to push it when it's this hot out. But dang it! I want to make that 60 mile mark! But I want to be alive when I do it, too! :tongue:
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    Hey girlie!!! I am glad you are feeling better and were able to call your DH! So maybe if you are having a tough time hitting past 50 miles, your body is telling you something. Maybe do some resting or lighter rides and start training for a push in a month or so when it cools? I donno...But keep up the great work, drink lots of water and don't push too much!
  • MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    Hey - glad you're o.k.!! Also - Gatorade has come out with what they call "G2" it is low calorie and low sugar - don't know if sugar free. I like it when we're out fencing or working in the heat. And if Wally World here in Billings has it, it's bound to be everywhere else. I think only Wyoming and Alaska are behind us on getting new stuff! lol - may be worth a try anyhow!
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    (((((((((((((Shore))))))))))))))) so glad you're okay girl!!!!!!!!!!!!

and your rides are amazing as is...wow!!! I am happy you're making a new habit of taking that test w/ you no matter what your good intentions are.....hugs and I third that one...thank God for cell phones!

hugs!
    Ali :drinker:
  • Lavendersunday
    Lavendersunday Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Shorerider...I hope you are keeping a diary of your rides...maybe with a pic of something different you see each time you ride. I always find it inspiring to read your posts detailing your progress and a good story about the ditch doesn't hurt either!! :tongue:

I am happy to know that you my friend are OK... you biking warrior! :wink:

~Namaste :flowerforyou:

~Mi
  • shorerider
    Options
    Shorerider...I hope you are keeping a diary of your rides...maybe with a pic of something different you see each time you ride. I always find it inspiring to read your posts detailing your progress and a good story about the ditch doesn't hurt either!! :tongue:

I am happy to know that you my friend are OK... you biking warrior! :wink:

~Namaste :flowerforyou:

~Mi

HA! I'll have to take and post a picture of "The Ditch where I almost fainted"!! That would be funny! :laugh: