Bad ride--almost passed out!/2253 calories burned??

Replies

• iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    i just have to say that i am so proud of you! I cant even imagine riding for four hours! I am glad you are feeling better now, but keep us updated..because i want to make sure it doesn't happen again!

<3
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Sounds a lot scary.

When I rode 58 miles this weekend, had on my f6. We were gone 4 hours and 45 minutes and I burned almost 2600. So your calorie burn is probably accurate.

We started out at 5:30, but by the time we got home it was so DANG HOT. The last 20 miles were almost unbearable and it took me several hours to feel better. The heat can be very dangerous. I feel like the heat was mostly the reason I felt so bad.

I am looking forward to fall when I can ride without fear of heatstroke.
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member

I am looking forward to fall when I can ride without fear of heatstroke.

I'm with you on that!

Here's to fall! :drinker:
  • bellmom627
    bellmom627 Posts: 195
    Dude, your blood sugar is going to spike a little with the glucose - my brother is a type 1 diabetic and has been since age 9 and we're very close. You were still hungry because of the low , and then your body tries to compensate and you go high. It's a pain in the butt but that's how it is with my little bro too - he's 22 now. He's had seizures and stuff and after a severe low he always goes high for awhile. You need to eat more on your ride. My husband has been cycling a while and just finished 175 weekend of cycling last weekend. He has a full meal break during a 60 mile ride. He eats a protein bar at 15, takes gatorade and lots of water with him. I meet him to refill the water and gatorade at 30 miles and bring him a cheese sandwich and banana. At 45 he has another protein bar. When he gets back from the 60 he eats a full meal of starchy stuff to get his carbs back up. Eat eat eat!!!!
  • stschulz
    stschulz Posts: 340
    Shore I worry about you! Too often now that I read reports like this from you!

P L E A S E be carefull! Riding these long distances is not just a matter of fitness. You need to learn a lot about nutrition and especially how YOU respond to different foods. There is a lot more to it than just being fit. A lot!

As to calories burned, that sounds about right. But: make sure if you do these long rides that you take it very very easy in the beginning. Set your HRM display on a percentage and not a number and check frequently that you do NOT go past 70 to 75 percent of you max HR. You should not even be breathing faster. That will tell you that you are taking it easy enough.

Drinking: general rule is 1 cup fluid every 15 minutes. Especially in this heat you need to stick to it religously. I check my watch and if I "forgot" take a sip. Every 15 min! I know one of my bottles will last about 90 minutes. If after that time I still have fluid in there I know I did not drink enough.

Lessons learned

--got some kind of something with some electrolytes!

I hope you are not telling us that all the time you were riding without electrolytes!!!!!!!
    If that is the case please allow me a friendly kick in your butt!!!!

Every trip (EVERY!!!) beyond one hour, you NEED to drink Gatorade or what ever your favorite brand is. Or take other supplements. But never ever just ride with only plain water lady!!!!

Knowing your recent "history" in terms of milage, I suspect that the fact that you can not pass a certain milage mark has nothing to do with fitness but has a lot to do with either blodd sugars or nutrition or hydration or all three of them.

So: don't get fristrated because you can't pass a certain goal. I know you are. But let it go. Find out what it is that makes you react like this by process of elimination. Take electrolytes with you, drink and eat enough and check while you ride your blood glucose. I expect that pretty soon you'll know what really causes this.

Take care
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Eat eat eat!!!!

This makes me hungry :grumble:
  • 2day4ever
    2day4ever Posts: 178
    So glad you are okay. Whew! Thank you for sharing your story so that we can all learn and be aware.

re: the electrolyte issue. Yes. You can over-hydrate, particularly if you are not consuming enough sodium (which makes your cells hold onto water). Too much water with too little sodium can lead to hyponatremia which can make you really sick . . . So, you might want to ask your doc about how to level it out for you (esp with blood sugar issues, too). In the end, it might just mean keeping a log (like the MFP food diary notes) where you track what your numbers are and how you feel . . . You can't test your numbers for sodium levels (that is on a blood test only) but you can gage your dietary sodium, your water intake, and your physical response.

Best wishes to you, Shorerider! Great job on the distance travelled. Safter journeys next time.:flowerforyou:
  • shorerider
    Shore I worry about you! Too often now that I read reports like this from you!

P L E A S E be carefull! Riding these long distances is not just a matter of fitness. You need to learn a lot about nutrition and especially how YOU respond to different foods. There is a lot more to it than just being fit. A lot!

As to calories burned, that sounds about right. But: make sure if you do these long rides that you take it very very easy in the beginning. Set your HRM display on a percentage and not a number and check frequently that you do NOT go past 70 to 75 percent of you max HR. You should not even be breathing faster. That will tell you that you are taking it easy enough.

Drinking: general rule is 1 cup fluid every 15 minutes. Especially in this heat you need to stick to it religously. I check my watch and if I "forgot" take a sip. Every 15 min! I know one of my bottles will last about 90 minutes. If after that time I still have fluid in there I know I did not drink enough.

Lessons learned

--got some kind of something with some electrolytes!

I hope you are not telling us that all the time you were riding without electrolytes!!!!!!!
    If that is the case please allow me a friendly kick in your butt!!!!

Every trip (EVERY!!!) beyond one hour, you NEED to drink Gatorade or what ever your favorite brand is. Or take other supplements. But never ever just ride with only plain water lady!!!!

Knowing your recent "history" in terms of milage, I suspect that the fact that you can not pass a certain milage mark has nothing to do with fitness but has a lot to do with either blodd sugars or nutrition or hydration or all three of them.

So: don't get fristrated because you can't pass a certain goal. I know you are. But let it go. Find out what it is that makes you react like this by process of elimination. Take electrolytes with you, drink and eat enough and check while you ride your blood glucose. I expect that pretty soon you'll know what really causes this.

Take care

Electrolyte mix is on order and will be here in 2 days! Yea! I haven't drank them before because they are so very high usually in sugar.

I've been sipping water every 10 minutes (read that on a biking site), so thought I had enough hydration. Guess not :blushing:

What's frustrating is that now with a HRM that actually works, I can't go over about 12.5 without pushing my HR up beyond a "safe" level. And, at that speed, it just takes FOREVER to go any distance!

I told my DH today that I desparately need a road bike. The guy at the bike shop Saturday estimated that I could get up to 5 mph increase over the bike I have now! I bought my Hybrid at that shop, so he knows exactly what I've been pushing. 5 mph more! WOW!

I think my Hybrid is just too much for me to push long distances at this point in time given my heavy weight and physical conditioning right now.

I want to go the long distances and can't! NOT FAIR, NOT FAIR, NOT FAIR!
    hissyfit8wr.gifhissyfit8wr.gifhissyfit8wr.gifhissyfit8wr.gif

Oh, and thanks everyone for y'alls concerns! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

I think I'll be in the gym tomorrow though instead of on the road--supposed to continue with the heat here.
  • CrystalBella
    CrystalBella Posts: 848 Member
    omg! I'm glad you are okay, Shore! Drink lots of water and get tons of rest!

drinkwater.gif
  • stschulz
    stschulz Posts: 340
    What does " I can't go over 12.5" mean?

If it is a 12.5 average than that's pretty darn good. That is what you should look at: average speed.
    I ride an average of about 12-13 mph on these long distances. Sometimes less.

Besides right now it really does not matter how fast you go. Build a base, go the distance, then work mon speed.

Yes, with the long distances it makes a difference 'cause you'll ride a litle longer. So what?

YOU W I L L GET THERE!
  • shorerider
    What does " I can't go over 12.5" mean?

If it is a 12.5 average than that's pretty darn good. That is what you should look at: average speed.
    I ride an average of about 12-13 mph on these long distances. Sometimes less.

Besides right now it really does not matter how fast you go. Build a base, go the distance, then work mon speed.

Yes, with the long distances it makes a difference 'cause you'll ride a litle longer. So what?

YOU W I L L GET THERE!

Yes, I average 12.5 mph on my long rides--shorter ones of under 20 miles I can get up to 13-13.5 mph average on those. On today's ride, I averaged 11.8 mph.

You'll probably right. But it just seems so slow! :ohwell:
  • casey34472
    casey34472 Posts: 280 Member
    Wow! Wish I had that time on my hands to do that. Well don't push your self in doing 60 miles don't think about it and I'm sure you will be able to get their.
  • jadaigle
    jadaigle Posts: 161 Member
    I hope I'm not repeated stuff that's already been posted (but I probably am): You can't drink just water. If you are exercising for more than 90 minutes, you HAVE to use an electrolyte replacement drink. I'm still trying to find the perfect one: I used powerade because it tasted good and I could but it at the supermarket but it upset my stomach so I'm trying all the other ones to see what works for me. I see you've ordered something: What product did you order?

Also, You've got to replace other calories on such long rides. I used to eat a clif bar every 45 mintues but, again, it began to upset my stomach so now I eat a good meal (usually two slices of toast with peanut butter and banana) about an hour before I ride. Then, I eat a Gu every 45 minutes. I get hungry regularly while riding and the Gu has worked well for me. Then you have to have something as soon as you are done riding. Bagels, bananas, power bars, yogurt are all good options.

And you can drink too much water.

Good luck and I'm glad you realized when to stop.
  • firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    First let me say I'm glad you aren't posting from the hospital. I hope you figure out how to manage this better for your long rides. I don't know many diabetics that can ride that many miles, much less walk one or two, and I see quite a few of them. So way to go!!! Granted I don't usually see them until they are at their worst. (no one calls 911 cause they just had a great day)

Considering that, four tabs should put you higher than the low two hundreds. It does sound like you were a little hypoglycemic. I usually estimate 50-100 points per tab. While that's a wide range, it doesn't add up to enough to equal less than 300 if you weren't hypoglycemic. Good job on catching yourself and not becoming a speedbump. (ain't nothing gonna slow someone down faster than a person lying in the middle of the road. Effective.) Please be careful.

Have you seen "gu" ? You might carry a few with you on rides. Eat one, say, every 500 - 1000 calories you burn. Any high simple carbohydrate food combined with something a little more substantial should work. This does take some tweaking, but you should be able to break your record without feeling bad. Good luck. I look forward to hearing that you did break your record.

Rae
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member

Plus, I think I really need to get some sugar-free sports drink of some kind. I know they make them but I can't find them in my area.

I love the Electro-mix from Alacer corp. It's a lemon-lime sugar-free sports drink powder you mix with 1 liter of water. It works great. Shop around different web sites to get the best price. Here is a link to the product:

http://www.emergenc.com/
  • shorerider
    I hope I'm not repeated stuff that's already been posted (but I probably am): You can't drink just water. If you are exercising for more than 90 minutes, you HAVE to use an electrolyte replacement drink. I'm still trying to find the perfect one: I used powerade because it tasted good and I could but it at the supermarket but it upset my stomach so I'm trying all the other ones to see what works for me. I see you've ordered something: What product did you order?

Also, You've got to replace other calories on such long rides. I used to eat a clif bar every 45 mintues but, again, it began to upset my stomach so now I eat a good meal (usually two slices of toast with peanut butter and banana) about an hour before I ride. Then, I eat a Gu every 45 minutes. I get hungry regularly while riding and the Gu has worked well for me. Then you have to have something as soon as you are done riding. Bagels, bananas, power bars, yogurt are all good options.

And you can drink too much water.

Good luck and I'm glad you realized when to stop.

I ordered some Emergen-C--I didn't realize the importance of electrolytes. That is obvious :ohwell: I didn't think I'd need it really with only a few hours on the bike--WRONG! I've got to eat more and better choices while riding, too. I've heard many use Fig Newtons or PB sandwiches or PB crackers, so thought I'd try that.
  • shorerider
    Have you seen "gu" ? You might carry a few with you on rides. Eat one, say, every 500 - 1000 calories you burn. Any high simple carbohydrate food combined with something a little more substantial should work. This does take some tweaking, but you should be able to break your record without feeling bad. Good luck. I look forward to hearing that you did break your record.

Rae

I had serious trouble the rest of that day keeping my levels up--stinks. Just ruins the whole day.

Anyway, you're the second person to say something about this "GU"--never heard of it but am going to look into it right now!
  • jadaigle
    jadaigle Posts: 161 Member
    You should be able to find Gu at your bike store. There are many flavors and most are pretty good. In fact, the Chocolate outrage is almost like eating chocolate icing out of the container. I tend to stick withe the other flavors, like Triberry, Strawberry banana or the Lemon. If you can't find Gu, you might see Hammer gel or clif shots. I think Gu tastes the best, but some of the Hammer gels are pretty good, too.
  • shorerider
    You should be able to find Gu at your bike store. There are many flavors and most are pretty good. In fact, the Chocolate outrage is almost like eating chocolate icing out of the container. I tend to stick withe the other flavors, like Triberry, Strawberry banana or the Lemon. If you can't find Gu, you might see Hammer gel or clif shots. I think Gu tastes the best, but some of the Hammer gels are pretty good, too.

Like chocolate icing? WOW! Will have to get some and see how it goes with my BG levels though--probably got lots of sugar.

That's part of the problem right now--too many carbs spikes me, too few and I crash. And with the exercising I'm doing, it's proving darn near impossible to find a happy medium.
  • Hey there,
    Glad you are ok. I rode 10 miles on Sunday in mid 70's but up and down hills ~ first time on hills have been doing the "flats" but was freakishly inspired by the Tour de France..sigh....yip, I looked freakish pushing my bike up the 10 miles hill!!! :flowerforyou:
    Anyhoo, you have my admiration for what you did..............and thank goodness for DH's!! They sure come in handy some times.:laugh:

It is tough figuring out what your body needs and doesn't need. I know that since turning 42, my body has changed dramatically and no longer responds to anything that worked before. So am taking small steps, and trying to figure it all out.

Take care now!